Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Has Among Us Gotten Bland?

Photon Jet

Hi everypony.

There's something that's been on my mind for a while now and I need to get it out by discussing it here. It's about this popular game "Among Us". Yes, among us, amogus, sus, sussy, vents, imposter and a whole bunch of other jazz. Back then, it took gameplay with an innovative approach which gave birth to its own memes just about everywhere. But now it feels like it overstayed its welcome and is becoming more of an attention cow for others to grab. (I'm talking to you, Fortnite.) The game and the memes around it were funny at first, but now, I think it's getting outdated with forced content in places in a desperate attempt to make others laugh or even give out a chuckle. Before you ask yes, I did play the game myself. I played the tutorial, tried to connect to a lobby, left the game and uninstalled it due to the cringe of memes. I think that's the reason why it's driving other users away from the series and making videos saying stuff like "STAHP POSTING ABOUT AMONG US!".

That's just my experience in Among Us (or Amoonguss if you're into Pokemon). However, if it's not going stale in the slightest, I need to understand why it's still going strong with stuff that I believe is considered cringe, such as pointing at a trash can that looks like a Crewmate and saying "amogus" or a certain fire alarm and saying "amogus". I get the jokes and I get the innovative gameplay, but where's the joy? That is the question.

What do you think? Is Among Us getting stale with its content or is it coming up with new innovations to keep the series going? I am sorry if this discussion makes you feel uncomfortable if you're into the series. If you're in it, that's fine. I'm just not a fan of the series as a whole right about now. Unless I need to look at it from a different perspective. At the end of the day, we all have different opinions and we need to respect each other because of it. That's what these discussions are there for, to share our opinions on the topic.

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure if nearly three months without a reply is thread necromancy, but I'm going to do it anyway. Yes, and IMO it was never not bland. I've played it a bit, but I didn't think it was very good. Even the memes lost their funniness pretty quickly, and I hate the word 'sus' with a bloody vengeance.

Among Us as a game is alive and well. It's just, at the time the game had a huge popularity fueled by Youtubers and the pandemic which forced us into lockdown. That level of popularity was impossible to maintain in long term, but the game, as of today, secured safe foothold. It's same as with for example Pokemon GO - on launch it had INSANE amount of players capable of literally causing traffic jams in cities, but people quickly started to disperse as those, who were simply curious about a new game abandoned it.

The game is incredibly fun, but in my opinion, meant to be played with friends, not strangers. I noticed there are try-hards who play it as if it was some advanced Tycoon type game when it comes to complexity. I had a chance to play it not so long ago and it's just as fun as it ever was. Get good people to play with and it's worth picking. 

As for memes etc? That's all they are - memes. I never paid much attention to them even if some I've found funny until they (not the game) overstayed their welcome. I treat memes as a separate category. 

• Brohoof 2

11 hours ago, KatonRyu said:

I'm not sure if nearly three months without a reply is thread necromancy, but I'm going to do it anyway.

You are allowed to bump older (much older) threads on MLP Forums ;) So no worries!

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

It's still good to me, I like an Among Us meme every once in awhile. I never played the game before though because I don't like that type of game, so I can't say if the gameplay has gotten bland.

• 2 weeks later...