Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Feedback Wanted - Should we expand the rank system?

Jeric

Rank Value Enhancements  

25 users have voted

1. 1. Should we expand the rank system?

• Yes - I would like to see what changes we can make
    • No - Keep it as is
    • I'm okay with either approach (Note that I will count this as mostly a tie breaker favoring Yes)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 2022-09-14 at 09:00 PM

In the past post count and only post count determined your rank. This is no longer the case due to changes from IPS. Ranks are now awarded and tracked based on points that the community users earn. As of the time of this post the default will be 1 point for a new topic and 1 point for a reply to an existing topic. That basically brings us close to the original intent of the old system. The old system was nice and simple. You make a post and you take one step closer to the next rank. This new system was forced on us, but there is an opportunity to use it differently and that may appeal to some of you. Here are some options available to us. Lets keep this on-topic to just counting toward ranks. In the future I may be using this system to award badges for using the site. 

Creating a new topic can be worth more than a point. 

Receiving a brohoof can count. 

Status Updates can count.

Replies to Status Updates can count. 

Blogs can count. 

Logging in the first time that day can count. 

Creating RP Character Sheets can count. 

Being followed can count. 

As you can tell it can go on and on. Some of these I'm generally more interested in implementing like New Topics being rewarded because it does do more for creating potential conversations and such. It is also worth noting that increasing the opportunity to rapidly move up in rank may mean that we will eventually need to add new levels to the ranks. 

For now a simple yes and no will work and I can make subsequent polls going forward. In some cases I'll roll out features that are brand new, but I don't like to do wholesale changes to an existing system we've had for over a decade without feedback. 

• Brohoof 3

I prefer the system we have now, honestly.

The former system makes it far too easier for users to spam to get the rank they want.

• Brohoof 2

It isn't every day we have new systems implemented. I am all for a new system. This system would reward activity, which is needed on this forum. Perhaps if activity is rewarded more, more users will be encouraged to be more active.

Moments ago, Patriotic Brony 42 said:

I like the idea of getting points for more than just spamming posts. Maybe put a cap per day on points for posts.

If there is a concern for people abusing the system, there can be a limit on how much points for things other than posts. One can put as many posts as they want as usual, but in other places - maybe a cap. 

I think topics, blog posts and Brohoofs should count. I don't see how the first two are any different to posts, and if anything they encourage more interaction and discussion. Meanwhile brohoofs usually encourage people to make more quality posts

EDIT: Ever considered custom ranks? Maybe for subscribers or veteran/active posters?

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 4

1 minute ago, Megas said:

I think topics, blog posts and Brohoofs should count. I don't see how the first two are any different to posts, and if anything they encourage more interaction and discussion. Meanwhile brohoofs usually encourage people to make more quality posts

Blogs are probably a no-brainer since a lot of effort goes into them, in many cases as much or more than a new topic. 

• Brohoof 3

Moments ago, Jeric said:

Blogs are probably a no-brainer since a lot of effort goes into them, in many cases as much or more than a new topic. 

This would encourage me to make more reviews on stories I have read and other projects of mine I don't have any other places to really display anywhere else. 

A simple answer: Simpler is better for everypony.

Simple system is easier and helps new members to know how to interact with the forum, keeps the forum attractive to posting, which is what has kept this place alive for the last years now.
Ranks by post count. Post count are owned by yourself and should be visible in posts, rather than ambiguous ranks often very far apart from even pony related.

A more complex answer:

Spoiler

Keeping everything a secret. Not knowing what makes you advance as a member. Some games use this technology to rank in-game "points" or "grades". It works for a while, until someone finds and exploits the situation.

Truth is, no matter what system, it will be exploited.

What is spamming?
Spamming is replying? Spamming is bumping threads? Spamming is creating new threads? Or simply, spamming is posting nonsense to gain points? I have not seen any member with high post count posting nonsense. All of our posts should count. Even new members trying to get a hoof into our community.

The more friends you have to give you points, the more points you will get. This is how brohoofs have worked in the past. But you need friends, and new members have not had it easy to find friends. And people fall out of friendships all the time.

In the past:
-The wins were removed.
-The post counts were hidden from posts.
-And lastly, the ranks were bugged out.....
BUT, no one stopped posting for more post content, and that kept the forum alive. It was the individual member that had control of posting, not their friends, or non-friends.

So the answer for me is, keep it simple. Currently, posts matters the most. Deny people to earn for posting, and the forum will drop in activity. Complicate things and it will become confusing for new members.

• Brohoof 5

10 minutes ago, Megas said:

EDIT: Ever considered custom ranks? Maybe for subscribers or veteran/active posters?

Yes, often actually. I also would like the ability to have users be able to switch to any badge they have previously earned. Both are possible but messy to implement 

• Brohoof 5

5 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Yes, often actually. I also would like the ability to have users be able to switch to any badge they have previously earned. Both are possible but messy to implement 

For some reason I am not getting notifications for this thread. Is that because of these changes that are going on?

3 minutes ago, Splashee said:

A simple answer: Simpler is better for everypony.

Simple system is easier and helps new members to know how to interact with the forum, keeps the forum attractive to posting, which is what has kept this place alive for the last years now.
Ranks by post count. Post count are owned by yourself and should be visible in posts, rather than ambiguous ranks often very far apart from even pony related.

A more complex answer:

Reveal hidden contents

Your long form thoughts are very well thought out, and perhaps the strongest argument for both simplicity and not limiting the community for the annoyances created by a few individuals. 

• Brohoof 1

Moments ago, Props said:

For some reason I am not getting notifications for this thread. Is that because of these changes that are going on?

Not sure, but it’s possible and even likely. 

• Brohoof 1

I would actually be in favor for the new system you would want to implement.  I like the idea of users being able to get rewarded for things other than just posts on topics.  With actions such as creating blog posts and status updates, or responding to them being actions that could help one gain points to raise their ranks, their would be more of an incentive to interact with the site in numerous different ways and through that I feel that you could help further drive user engagement. by giving users more reasons to stay around.

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 1

I think the current system just based on posts is better as it seems the fairest and easiest to follow, though if it does change to include the other options it may be better to exclude brohoof's as it will probably just distort the ranking system in favour of the most popular or well known users and become a popularity contest.

I'd also suggest changing the Forum Lounge so the posts there count towards your post count as the content there doesn't seem that different from the General Discussion where the posts do count.

Edited by Rainbow Cloud
  • Brohoof 2

Not sure if this would necessarily be a good idea, assuming it can be implemented, but perhaps an OP can receive points the more posts are made in their topic (something like one point for every X posts).

And is activity in the Forum Games and Forum Lounge still to count for nothing in the new system, or perhaps the activity there will be worth only a fraction of the activity in other parts of the forums?

• Brohoof 1

15 minutes ago, Rainbow Cloud said:

I think the current system just based on posts is better as it seems the fairest and easiest to follow, though if it does change to include the other options it may be better to exclude brohoof's as it will probably just distort the ranking system in favour of the most popular or well known users and become a popularity contest.

I'd also suggest changing the Forum Lounge so the posts there count towards your post count as the content there doesn't seem that different from the General Discussion where the posts do count.

The main reason why I do not use the Forum Lounge is that posts do not count there.

• Brohoof 1

13 minutes ago, Luna the Great of all the Russias said:

Not sure if this would necessarily be a good idea, assuming it can be implemented, but perhaps an OP can receive points the more posts are made in their topic (something like one point for every X posts)

Two ways this can happen. One is giving more points to every new topic which would go to the OP. The system also allows the OP to get a point for every reply too. 

17 minutes ago, Luna the Great of all the Russias said:

And is activity in the Forum Games and Forum Lounge still to count for nothing in the new system, or perhaps the activity there will be worth only a fraction of the activity in other parts of the forum

Points based on content won’t exclude forums. Actually from what I can see they can’t exclude forums. For this reason areas excluded previously will probably be aligned to have posts counted since the reason for excluding them back in the early days of the forum is no longer applicable. 

• Brohoof 1

@Jeric

So either way, posts will be counted in all sections of the forums? I feel like because of this, the point system may actually work better. Would the implementation of the point system apply to posts, statuses, etc made before the implementation of this system? 

11 minutes ago, Props said:

The main reason why I do not use the Forum Lounge is that posts do not count there.

Yeah, think it can be discouraging posting in the sections where posts don't count, I do post in Forum Lounge particularly if there's a topic there that looks interesting but admittedly it does cross my mind if it's worth posting there if it doesn't count.

• Brohoof 1

34 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Points based on content won’t exclude forums

Then the question becomes:
Is Forum Games considered high quality posting? Take Count to a Million for example?

I see a potential to increase my points by simply spending all days posting numbers. (I have no problems with others doing this, I am just not seeing the reward of such thing myself). I would rather talk about how I am feeling or thinking and get points for that. Especially with the 20 characters limit in effect. That's high quality posting in my opinion.

• Brohoof 1

I like the idea of brohoofs, logging in, and blog posts contributing to rank. We already have an incentive to "brohoof farm", simply because it's fun to get brohoofs, so I don't think making brohoofs count will really affect much. Forum game posts, however, should not count because they're too easy to make. That is also why I'm iffy about status updates counting because they are also very easy to make. 

1 hour ago, Rainbow Cloud said:

I agree on excluding brohoofs it wouldn’t be fair to newer users 

• Brohoof 2