Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What are G5's flaws?

CastletonSnob

I hated the place the G4 finale left the series so I don't care if G5 retcons it lol

I will say that they're jumping the gun with the G4 appearances. Given Twilight showed up in the teaser, I wouldn't be surprised if she'd have more appearances in the future. And that's not getting into the comics already making Discord a reoccurring character :>_>:

• Brohoof 3

2 minutes ago, Megas said:

I hated the place the G4 finale left the series so I don't care if G5 retcons it lol

I will say that they're jumping the gun with the G4 appearances. Given Twilight showed up in the teaser, I wouldn't be surprised if she'd have more appearances in the future. And that's not getting into the comics already making Discord a reoccurring character :>_>:

Discord would be a mess to 3d animate twilight is more doable I think we will only see twilight bqzd on animation and rendering budget

• Brohoof 1

It's been it's obvious missed opportunities. 

Like, after the film came out I was imagining Zipp having to be the one to get her family back into being royals of Zepher Heights while some Pegasi still feeling toyed with after the reveal that they couldn't fly either. Or, with Sunny continuation of research, and just a whole lot more things that should've been addressed.

As well as it's obvious lack of continuity. I've been all caught up and sometimes I have no idea where in the timeline of G5 we're at.

Like in Make Your Mark Chapter 1 as you all know Izzy unicycled Sunny's old lantern and we got a Tell Your Tale episode focusing on it, in that episode Izzy has her scooter and yet only discovers it in Make Your Mark Chapter 2 "Izzy Does It". And I don't need to explain its lack of continuity to G4

Overall, it's just missed the mark (ironically) for what feels like over and over again.

• Brohoof 2

Moments ago, Props said:

@Molly Wallace

That is another issue I have with G5 as well. There is no statement of anything that happened previously most of the time, there should be a set and well noticed timeline here. G5 shouldn't be connected to G4 at all, it should be it's own thing.

Yeah, even coming from someone who loved the G5 film and stood up for the generation, I fear I'm getting shot with bullets currently to me standing up for it's grave.

• Brohoof 1

I still fully believe that people need to be less critical of G5, and I'm glad Make Your Mark Chapter 2 got some people to tone it down from the laughable "IT'S GONE BACK TO GIRLY MUSHINESS!" stretch, but as much as I appreciate what Pipp Petals has done to make this generation manlier than ever, there's an obvious setback with the Netflix binge model. We only have Tell Your Tale to fill an amount of time we don't even know before the release dates of new episodes are even announced, and even if TYT never gives us a bad episode, it doesn't compare to MYM's quality at the moment. 

• Brohoof 4

The problem with gen 5 is there's a lot of shows that popped out that has better stuff to offer... Overshadowing it and easily criticized.

Better step up your game gen 5 or else you'd end up like gen 3.5....

I guess gen 5 is gen 4.5.... 

2 hours ago, Splashee said:

The structure of the bad guys is the flaw of G5. If you don't understand, watch any 80s cartoon...

Episode begins:
goons.png.146bf5d6abc822862f42d689d4912bb6.png

Episode ends:
goons2.png.34ba40106908ebefa95af71ec52bfbeb.png

I personally saw something deeper. after seeing ep 8 and thinking about every scene with Misty i came to the dark realization that she's being abused......and not in the typical Villain/Minion way

• Brohoof 1

14 minutes ago, Balt said:

I personally saw something deeper. after seeing ep 8 and thinking about every scene with Misty i came to the dark realization that she's being abused......and not in the typical Villain/Minion way

She had multiple times to learn that she was abused/controlled when visiting Maretime Bay. She never even once stopped and asked "Am I being abused? Am I on the wrong side?".

How about these, does Misty look abused by Opaline?
mistyminion.png.fd5311833e4fc5afefc9e4e631246bab.png

• Brohoof 1

24 minutes ago, Splashee said:

She had multiple times to learn that she was abused/controlled when visiting Maretime Bay. She never even once stopped and asked "Am I being abused? Am I on the wrong side?".

How about these, does Misty look abused by Opaline?
mistyminion.png.fd5311833e4fc5afefc9e4e631246bab.png

Sometimes leaving an abusive relationship isn't easy mentally.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Balt said:

Sometimes leaving an abusive relationship isn't easy mentally.

Heck, just acknowledging it can take a lot of strength, let alone deciding to leave it. There's often a lot of denial, and if you never knew anything else? Even worse. So, that's not a particularly good metric for measuring character.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2022-10-03 at 4:25 AM, flutterJackdash said:

Heck, just acknowledging it can take a lot of strength, let alone deciding to leave it. There's often a lot of denial, and if you never knew anything else? Even worse. So, that's not a particularly good metric for measuring character.

One could see it as a better reformation of a villain if the story is more realistic and has ties to the real world.

So the very last Misty scene of Chapter 2, she says this while laying on the bed:
"(sighs) For somepony made of fire, I never met a heart so cold. (sobbing)"

This is directly tied to the scene before where she's being denied her cutie mark after asking for it. It is the only instance where she might have felt threatened by Opaline but I don't see that as the case. She might be crying because she didn't get what she was expecting from retrieving the dragon magic.

All other scenes with Misty tells a different story. She's the status quo comedian villain.

For me, one of G5's flaws is that they keep insisting that it is in the same universe as G4, but they don't elaborate on what happened between the generations. In fact, they can't even keep their plot consistent between the comics, TYT, and MYM. Like, maybe they could acknowledge these different seemingly conflicting snippets about what happened between the two generations by hyping it up and announcing that it will be answered in a later season or something.

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Skylight Scintillate said:

For me, one of G5's flaws is that they keep insisting that it is in the same universe as G4, but they don't elaborate on what happened between the generations. In fact, they can't even keep their plot consistent between the comics, TYT, and MYM. Like, maybe they could acknowledge these different seemingly conflicting snippets about what happened between the two generations by hyping it up and announcing that it will be answered in a later season or something.

Part of the trouble is that the showrunners typically don't concern themselves with what the comics put out there, and in numerous cases the comic's writers fail to do basic research to avoid inaccuracies in characters and such. The general rule was, for G4 at least, from what I read in my Art books as told by the artists and writers of the comics themselves that it was said what was written in those comics was canon until it wasn't. I don't know about TYT and MYM, but I do see a few minor ones to be sure.

On 2022-09-23 at 3:26 PM, Megas said:

I’m curious, whyd you hate it?

• The title was changed to What are G5's flaws?
  • 3 weeks later...

Major flaw that I see is that G5 is connected to G4 and that Opaline's character is very one-dimensional. I would have preferred that G4 have ended on a high note and the future of it be ambiguous, but now we know what G4 was for, was all for nothing, because somehow the ponies divided themselves and what happened in G4 was just forgotten. Maybe they will somehow make it interesting in the future, but as of right now, I don't like that. 

• Brohoof 1

It's the Netflix format. While I do like to get multiple episodes at once, it doesn't work for me to wait this long between "chapters".

G5 is too far apart from itself, with years of gap and very little storytelling. If it was a weekly show with seasons instead of chapters, maybe the story would have gone somewhere more interesting.