Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Trailer for Make Your Mark

CastletonSnob

4 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

It’s being speculated that Twi is the Tree of Harmony’s projection 

I've seen that, and I do have my doubts considering that the Tree of Harmony doesn't have its magic in the future. I've also seen speculation that it's a recording, but even if that's true, I think there's more to it given her saying, "I'm with you.". After all, it is implied in the series that Twilight is actually Sunny's ancestor. 

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Solar Power said:

When and where was this implied?

Think about it. Why exactly do Sunny and her father so deeply believe that all the pony breeds are meant to be together? Why does Sunny carry the insignia of Twilight's cutie mark on her bag? How did she get all this merchandise of Twilight and her friends in a world that wouldn't revere them, being ruled by paranoia and mistrust? Why would the Unity Crystals, which Twilight created, turn Sunny into an alicorn? 

It would answer a lot. 

• Brohoof 1

20 hours ago, The Nth Doctor said:

I wonder why Twilight was pony-sized rather than being in her queen form

Maybe it's the Tree of Harmony?

Or are they just ignoring The Last Problem the same way Dragon Ball ignores GT?

Or maybe it's just the G5 art style? She looks slightly softer than Opaline, but it's hard to tell considering she's a hologram.

• Brohoof 1

18 hours ago, Ganondorf8 said:

And they released this trailer with just two weeks to go. I wonder why they didn't want to release this much sooner and perhaps generate more attention? Maybe they aren't as confident about this as we assume? Or maybe they've been swamped with other projects and only now got around to this one?

I mean there has been screenshots posted for anyone to see

It looks fine to me except Twilight being at the end. It would be a bad decision to have Twilight and the other Mane 6 in G5. I really hope that doesn't happen, I want G5 to be it's own thing. If it can't succeed without leaning into G4, then maybe that means the idea of G5 just isn't successful? I'll give it a shot, I am very interested in the villains as always. 

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Star_Quake said:

Or maybe it's just the G5 art style? She looks slightly softer than Opaline, but it's hard to tell considering she's a hologram.

It's not the artstyle; she's regular-sized and doesn't have any regalia

(granted, with all the animation errors in the trailer, it could very well be an incomplete model, or they simply wanted to use a Twilight people would recognize because MARKETING)

Edited by The Nth Doctor

4 minutes ago, The Nth Doctor said:

It's not the artstyle; she's regular-sized and doesn't have any regalia

(granted, with all the animation errors in the trailer, it could very well be an incomplete model, or they simply wanted to use a Twilight people would recognize because MARKETING)

Could be both, but I lean towards the fact that it's an animation error (style, whatever) because Twilight has already been in some of the G5 comics. Though she did have royal attire on :I. Could just be a style change or laziness. Like how they got rid of Sunny's braid, even though that was like a staple for her character design. (in my opinion) 

8 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Think about it. Why exactly do Sunny and her father so deeply believe that all the pony breeds are meant to be together? Why does Sunny carry the insignia of Twilight's cutie mark on her bag? How did she get all this merchandise of Twilight and her friends in a world that wouldn't revere them, being ruled by paranoia and mistrust? Why would the Unity Crystals, which Twilight created, turn Sunny into an alicorn? 

It would answer a lot. 

It wouldn’t be impossible for Nerd Princess Poneh being Sunny’s ancestor (I would like one or two of the Mane 5 to be a descendant of a Mane 6), but their reason in being interested in Equestria’s past shouldn’t start and end with being descendants of Twi. It wouldn’t be impossible for it to be the reason, but it’s hardly the only writing road they could take 

• Brohoof 1

We will finally get to see what Sprout is up to. Twilight (or perhaps the tree of harmony's projection?) showing up (probably she recorded herself, I seriously doubt she is still around) is intriguing, pretty sure it will give us some clues to what is going wrong.

Opalines voice sounds to me similar to queen Haven and it kind of ruins her supposedly menacing aura IMO, at least she looks better in the trailer than in the promotional screencap. Misty looks interesting, but her voice is not what I was expecting either. I hope that the villains will be competent, at least to some degree. So far they looked rather silly.  

The animation does look better than in the special, but there is a lot of room for improvement. 

I still think the dragon's design is bad, I definitely don't find it cute. 

Anyway, I am looking forward to the release. 

• Brohoof 1

This video Is in Spanish, but pretty self explanatory 

Spoiler

For those interested in Latin American dub, Carla Castañeda reprise the role of Princess Nerd Poneh

Pd: hidden due to twerking, or “ghetto booty” as a doctor supposedly called it

Edited by Steve Piranha

19 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

It would answer a lot. 

That's an interesting bit of speculation, but speculation it remains until it gets confirmed.

I'm surprised that nobody in this thread has questioned whether Twilight's voice actor in the trailer is Tara Strong or not. Dr Wolf thinks it isn't her, I've seen others online saying the same thing. Me...I've played that moment over and over and I'm still 50/50 whether it's her or someone new, it's so difficult to tell from just three words. What does everyone else here think?

• Brohoof 1

16 minutes ago, Solar Power said:

That's an interesting bit of speculation, but speculation it remains until it gets confirmed.

I'm surprised that nobody in this thread has questioned whether Twilight's voice actor in the trailer is Tara Strong or not. Dr Wolf thinks it isn't her, I've seen others online saying the same thing. Me...I've played that moment over and over and I'm still 50/50 whether it's her or someone new, it's so difficult to tell from just three words. What does everyone else here think?

I saw someone in derpibooru stating she isn’t. Then again, it’s the only user I’ve seen stating it so far 

• Brohoof 1

I'll be honest: I didn't like the trailer. It looked like the new generation will get away from the serious problems and focus more on trivial matters. Although, there is one detail I don't really enjoy (but hope that's only because it's a short preview of the new series): the villian. Her design is simply horrible to say the least, Opaline's color palette is very disharmonious, and I still don't understand her goals or aspirations. The animation is better than the pilot, yes, however, I'm a bit tired about the "discovering your powers" concept (I know that Earth Ponies are surprised with the new skills, but we had enough of it). The Twilight appearance was irrelevant in my opinion.

Spoiler

My theory is that's an old recording of her where there was magic, probably talking to the citizens, saying that everything will be fine and back to be friends or something similar.

It's just for hype the G4 fans, And I don't see necessary the link between the two gens, it going to complicate the new plot elements, because the writers must respect the old Equestria's lore.

So just for end this comment I have one question: Will Opaline be a permanent villian or just for the first season?

Edited by Orchid_Fiore
  • Brohoof 2

On 2022-09-13 at 12:49 PM, CloudMistDragon said:

It would answer a lot. 

I don't think it's merchandise she got from anywhere. Her father had a big interest in the past and was a crafts-pony. So it makes much more sense that he made them for her. 

On 2022-09-12 at 10:34 PM, The Wife of Levi said:

This hasn’t raised my hopes for G5.

You and me both.  Finally, someone else who's not just praising this series to all heck just because it happens to be the latest Pony series!

The character animations still looks stiff. It’s not jarring to the point where it’s unbearable to watch but it is noticeable and it strikes as cheap CGI use. I don’t know much about what goes into animation but this series looks like one that belongs on Nick Jr. 

I'm certainly not fond of the trend of taking traditionally 2D shows and making them 3D.  It can work really well with a high budget like the film, but it has mixed results otherwise, and can often end in classic series being turned into nightmare fuel.  By 3D conversion standards, I will say that neither the 3D of the mane series, nor the 2D of TYT impresses me much, but it doesn't bother me either, so I consider that enough of a win for me.  The animation is far from my main gripe with this generation, so I'll pick my battles accordingly.

The is not good, as the lyrics from the songs we have from this trailer and 1 are cliché as all hell.

I miss Ingram, for sure.  TBH, this is how I feel about all the G5 songs to date, even the ones from the movie.  Some may be catchy, but none are very deep, especially when paying attention to their lyrics.  It's one example of where the seams in this thing are quite obvious.  I think in general, this is a series for people who only care about getting the surface level pony experience, and there's no where more apparent than with the songs.  Heck, TYT has used two particular tracks multiple times, one of which is weapons-grade cringe.  That probably speaks volumes about the budget for this series.

Also, there's this: https://mlpforums.com/topic/198561-new-clip-for-make-your-mark/

At least the show is being transparent about the higher-ups not wanting to put more effort into things than they need to.  I appreciate honesty.  

I can’t explain what it is but this seems like G5 is trying to appeal more to children than FiM did.

Well, FiM was a children's show too, so that's not such a bad thing.  However, where FiM had more appeal outside of its target audience, I really don't see this one having much appeal outside of its intended demographic, and diehard Bronies who will watch pretty much anything MLP-related (I did once binge G1, Pony Tales, and most of G3).  I suppose FiM did end up leaning quite a bit into trying to appeal to its older demographic, especially in its later seasons, but it certainly won me over even when it wasn't trying to do that.  G5 on the other hand...has its work cut out for it.

Am I still going to give it a shot? Absolutely. This is a big moment in the fandom. I still have faith that the series will be at least decent.

I certainly have been thus far, and I'll still keep giving it a shot for now.  I don't know what I'm holding out for though.  I'll probably know if I either see it, or if I feel compelled to make my exit.  Either way, if Vanhoover happens this year, it will certainly be interesting.

…They also showed Twilight in the show’s animation style and I would be lying if I said am not looking forward to seeing the FiM main cast in it.

Eh, while I'm intrigued, the forced link to FiM is so far my least favourite thing about this series.  At best it comes across as fanficy.  I really hope something meaningful is done with it though that isn't trash, as that might make it worthwhile.

Apologies for going through your entire comment.  Yours just happened to be the one that I felt I could engage with the most.

I will say, I'm still going to check out this new series, but I don't know if I'll keep going for much longer if it doesn't end up hooking me.  At the very least, no one can say I haven't given it a chance.  Maybe there is a a chance it will surprise me.  I was originally thinking being lighter on the fantasy elements was to the show's detriment, but that definitely isn't it, as I could spend hours conversing about Sweet Apple Acres.  Besides, when it does try to be very action-heavy, it has come across as more cringe so far. 

I suppose I have to see this through to some extent though, as there are fascinating aspects to the cringe.  I think I do need to know how much of a giant middle finger to fans of FiM this ends up being.  Apparently there's already a comic that runs with that, which I'm choosing not to check out. 

Is that henchpony ripping off Sailor Moon with a makeup compact video chat device?  Sure, keep referencing better girl's shows G5.  That's bound to translate into a product that's actually decent on its own merits, right? /s  Also...why does something like that need to exist in a world where ponies actually have cellphones, which nopony would look sus carrying?  

Eh...I guess I'll be back here on the 26th or shortly thereafter to render my verdict on take 3 of a pilot.  Hopefully we will finally get a sense of what kind of show we're to expect going forward...which FiM did in one pilot, but I digress.  

On 2022-09-13 at 7:49 PM, Will Guide said:

I want to see the Relationship between Hitch and Sparky the Dragon blossom

*shakes head with disappointment at brain* bad brain

I am intrigued by the new direction they've taken with the little baby dragon character. That is the first time in all of MLP that they have not tied the dragon to a princess. All this makes me think that perhaps Hitch is a Prince.