Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What did you seriously love and hate as a child?

Reecejackox

This is a difficult question seeing as half the things I "loved as I child" I still seriously love today as an adult, if the question was, "what did you use to love to do growing up?" or even just "what did you use to love as a child?", the question would be a lot easier to figure out... but this list of activities/instances I'm nostalgic for vary, I have a lot of things I loved as a child though...

Playing in the snow, classic cartoon network, trick or treating, funny SNL, relevant Newgrounds.com, staying the night at a best friends house, ALL MY DOGS! But some lived to see me off into later adulthood, Pokemons relevance on handhelds I.E the Gameboy/GBA Renaissance, NOW these are moments that I can't get back/,won't be relived most likely, hopefully I'll see my dogs again someday...

tons of games, cartoons, consoles in general, shows, that I STILL LOVE TODAY... SERIOUSLY LOVE, so I won't make a giant uninteresting list of my own personal tastes...

but most of all instances are things we want back, like hearing my dad's cruel jokes as a tiny kid and thinking it's the most hilarious thing I've ever heard, things like large sleep overs, asking if I could make a bed on my parents floor so I could stay up all night and watch investigation discovery... At this point I miss having my things tore to pieces, shoes, plushies, paper, toilet paper, bc I love and miss my dogs so much these are the tiny tiny insignificant concessions it would be more than worth making to have them back, I'll feed you a roll of toilet paper a day and a new pair of shoes every week if you could come back to me... some families and friends drift FAR APART there's a lot of moments I won't get back.. I miss the moments I made with my best friend... Idk or think we're friends anymore, but we created a lot of special unforgettable moments together, shared interests, fears, superstitions, I hate adulthood honestly, I'd rather go back to me and my bud pulling an all nighter on a game half ppl haven't heard of, bc we're super engrossed and we share these interests with each other.. we were like family, now we are literal strangers...

But yes to make it super simple, I miss my friends and my family, both two and four legged... More than anything, and yes this is related bc this is all stuff I seriously loved as a child...

It's funny bc as an adult I go to sleep at like 2 AM and wake up at like 6-8 AM, but I would definitely say being forced to wake up at 7 AM 5 weekdays in a row when I used to stay up SOOOO late... I missed a lot of school, another thing I hated was when I stayed home they would play to much damn Tom and Jerry lol, Scooby Doo repeats.. my parents were liberal with my freedoms for the most part, but I did hate being at someone else's whim as part of a control bit when they were in a bad mood or we had a disagreement..

I also hated needing to ask for money to be a consumer, as I am a person that "likes things" and wanted to "have things" as a child. Being completely at someone else's mercy if you want that specific thing... is shitty

I also hated growing up with half of my family on my mom's side, they suck for the most part.. tbh

I think grown ups were always the worst. I am not talking about being told must be done, but when they got lazy or didn't care, I was the one to suffer.

Interestingly, after all these years, I love the same things as I did as a child! That's why I keep working on the things I do, because I know I will love these things in the future as well.

• Brohoof 1

Pokemon. It's hard to describe the magic I felt for it between 1996 and 2007. I missed out on Gen 4 and kinda fell out of love with it after playing Gen 6. Black and White were pretty great, though. 

I still have my original copy of Crystal Version. It'll need a new battery soon. I'll revisit that if I ever feel nostalgic for it. I get the feeling of just buying a Game Boy Color from time to time. 

• Brohoof 1

If I had to select one or 2 things I would probably say Lego bricks and trains and railroads. I had tracks and a trains and I played with them. I loved building Lego technic.

Edited by zerox
  • Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, zerox said:

If I had to select one or 2 things I would probably say Lego bricks and trains and railroads. I had tracks and a trains and I played with them. I loved building Lego technic.

Omfg you just reminded me about one of the most important things that I didn't mention bc you reminded me of how much I loved creating block cities and playing with bionicles... TOYS, of many variants and plush, I was about to straight out be like "while I still have a collection of adult toys" then I saw how funny it sounded but yeah I'll still collect toys and plush, but not have robot vs animal wars with my bionicles bc they are coming to wipe out organic life on the animal planet...XD 

They always lost, the dinosaur toys would give me a reason to rebuild/mix and mash bionicles.. after they were done destroying the city I'd have to rebuild lol 

• Brohoof 1

I loved the forest as a child! always went outside and enjoyed nature, catching lizards! watching animals and the smell! gosh I love that smell of the forest! it feels so clean and refreshing!

29 minutes ago, Sophie H. said:

I loved the forest as a child! always went outside and enjoyed nature, catching lizards! watching animals and the smell! gosh I love that smell of the forest! it feels so clean and refreshing!

Wow... You people are making me feel like my memory/priority is absolute shit, bc catching tadpoles, frogs and toads was literally a biiig hobby of mine, hunting them, searching for/in ponds, puddles, streams or any local body of water I could find .. AND there is a stream where I would regularly catch crawfish to...

3 hours ago, KingCorvus said:

Wow... You people are making me feel like my memory/priority is absolute shit, bc catching tadpoles, frogs and toads was literally a biiig hobby of mine, hunting them, searching for/in ponds, puddles, streams or any local body of water I could find .. AND there is a stream where I would regularly catch crawfish to...

Oh my gosh! that sounds lovely! streams, ponds! frogs! getting familiar with nature! 

• Brohoof 1

Hmmmm being with my grandmother is the one thing I loved.  I learned a lot from her and she taught me many lessons of life I still use and skills to this day....

Outside that sad line:

• Looking for sea/lake glass which i still do
  • old school tmnt and still loving the new school
  • old school pizza rolls -_-

• The title was changed to What did you seriously love and hate as a child?

Me? I hated furbies, annoying little f**ks! I loved the movie Rise of the Guardians and I loved Care Bears and Littlest pet shops, (I was born in 2007) Oh and Icarly! I still  love Icarly... 

Nowadays I love MLP of course.... I also love Sonic, Warrior Cats, Wings of fire, Undertale (Pls don't laugh at me :/),  Pokemon and Child's Play/Chucky 

@lomk I love Pokemon too! I have an OC named Scarlet, she's named after what I called my player character in Pokemon Sword.

Edited by Stellar Heights

I didn’t like it when no one listened to me as a child, or discounted what I said just because I was a kid. Kids have a lot more going on than they often get credit for, but they have no power. I hated school more than anything, because it was everything that’s wrong with the world condensed into a small space and amplified toward vulnerable kids. That’s bullsh*t.

On the other side of things, I LOVED summer vacations and travelling. Every year my dad took us on a vacation and those were the defining moments of my life. I still look at travel as the greatest possible pastime. I also loved, and still love, Star Wars, and I used to watch it several times a day when I was little.

I haven't changed much as far as these two are concerned. 

As a child I grew up with Star Wars. That was my #1 franchise for many years and only much later actual competitors for it emerged. 

As for something I hate? Hard to say as I never was too prone to "hate" things. But I'd say I really disliked raisins in general and still do. They're the weirdest food to me :laugh:

I genuinely loved NASCAR just because it was something that my family would gather around and watch with each other during Lunchtime

As for something I hated, more often then not it was fans of rival sports teams that took things way too far in order to prove their "superiority". You know, the thing that kinda makes people not want to be a sports fan in the first place for any team. :Daydreaming:

One of them is the same thing I have a love hate relationship with now.

Collecting trading cards. It’s fun collecting them. But it’s going to the store and being unable to buy any packs because somebody just opened all of them. This was an issue when I was a kid and still is now as an adult lol. Walmart still really be out here just letting people open up all the card packs in the store.  It’s buying packs online from people who look like very reputable sellers only to find out they’re fakes or resealed packs. It’s missing out on buying a box/tin either due to financial reasons or it selling out. Then it’s going online to see it going for ridiculous amounts of money. There’s watching people try to trick you into paying more for something that isn’t worth that much. Honestly it’s having no trust in buying from any sort of third party seller when it comes to trading cards. If it’s not something I bought in store than it’s spending the time over checking the box,packs, everything to make sure it’s legit when it arrives. 

But there’s the love of having a collection and watching it grow. It’s getting your favorite cards and rare ones. I’ve always loved collecting cards but at the same time I hate it lol. 

• 4 weeks later...

I loved the idea of pro sports and being an athlete to be something my family could see on tv every week, winning more often than not.

I hated to do chores though. Helping with making supper and desserts were fun, but I couldn't bring down my laundry for the life of me. :adorkable: