Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S02:E07 - Hoof Done It?

Ashen Pathfinder

Title: Hoof Done It?
Release Date: September 26, 2022
Written By: Janae Hall
Synopsis: Detective Zipp is on the case to find a thief when Sunny's magic lantern goes missing. Misty seems to be the prime suspect... or is she?

NOTE: Episode is only available on NetFlix for the foreseeable future. Please keep that in mind!

• Brohoof 1

Detective Zipp's high tech detecting gear is some nifty toyetting for sure! But I love it!

Oh, and a reasonable explanation for the bags under Izzy's eyes, too. Aw, wonder why she's having so much trouble sleeping?

And that bathroom was apparently constructed using the Brady Bunch school of building a bathroom

• Brohoof 3

Not so sure about this one. Even though Pipp was motivated over her sister's Cutie Mark glowing, her plan was extremely rash and ridiculous. All morning, Zipp searched high and low to find it.

On one hand, Hoof Done It showed that her plan wasn't a good idea, as Zipp started accusing ponies left and right, including the culprit. On the other, considering the origins of this lantern, wouldn't Pipp (and Izzy) think about the consequences of the lantern getting lost if it left the Brighthouse?

Good song and animation sequence, though!

Overall, meh.

• Brohoof 3

While Pipp should have given Sunny her lantern back as soon as she found it I do think it was sweet how Pipp saw how much being a

detective meant to Zipp and Pipp wanted to let Zipp experience more of something she obviously LOVES to do. 

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 1

Zipp did miss some obvious clues in the very beginning, and I am surprised she let it slide in the end. Pipp shouldn't have done it, at the very least she should have told Sunny about it, she just did not think things through. But still, a lot of the investigation felt forced to me. Misty has got some moves though! The villains part of the episode was solid, felt bad for Misty there. I am also disappointed that the song was just a short clip and not a musical number.

Overall this episode had a lot of potential and I am disappointed in how it turned out. It wasn't really bad, but not exactly good either, one of the weaker episodes. 

Another really good episode! While not the main focus, the Zipp/Pipp angle was handled really well, even tho Pipp was in the wrong. Granted I can understand where she's coming from, so I hope she learns from that.

Still, not much for me to say. I love Misty and just...great stuff.

• Brohoof 2

One detractor from my enjoyment from this one, not surprised to see that others also didn't like Pipp's little game. Friendship is Magic did this too with the main characters being laughably oblivious to the fact that dark forces are playing them for saps, but Pipp could've at least said something about it being weird how she found the lamp buried in the garden. At least the song in this one is really good and that scene with the fillies confessing to watching YouHoof videos past 4 AM was a joke they really nailed. 

I'm not sure if I like this one. It's just an overly complicated plot done in order to keep the main characters oblivious of the evil forces working against them. It has some good moments though, and Misty is adorable as ever.

• Brohoof 2

This episode maddens me even more than the last.

The first minutes of this episode was me screaming: Go home Misty, you have the lantern!!!

So, what was Opaline's orders again? Get the lantern, don't screw things up, etc.
According to the start of the episode, Misty had the lantern. But she decided to dig it down just outside the Brighthouse? And how many hours did she leave it there? Definitely morning and all ponies had woken up, had time to basically eat breakfast before realizing the lantern was gone. What was she doing during the time the lantern was dug down (by herself)? She obviously didn't return to Opaline since that would have been a "mission failed" from the previous episode.

The rest of the episode is all about the Mane 5 again: Their friendships grow etc... Right? They actually figured out that if they make the lantern glow, their Cutie Marks glow too, and they become happy. Plot comes full circle.

Spoiler

Something about magic being important to keep ponies together? But Twilight had already tried that and hid the magic. I am confused.

Ending is just like an 80s cartoon, the very thing Bronies said made FiM so unique to not do: Opaline immediately discards the previous action in favor of a new completely random one "Dragon Magic". Everything we just watched had no meaning.

Let's look at this episode with Lauren Faust glasses on:

What was the lesson learned?

Hmmm...this one is mixed for me.  On one hand, it stars Zipp.  As I've said before, screw the rest of the cast, the show should be about her.  On the other hand, her whole narration routine is really starting to get old IMHO, meaning she's not as far better off than the rest of the one-note cast as I used to think.  On the other hand, we got to see her cool gear again, and that's some nice continuity from TYT.  Izzy is ok in this one, as is Pipp, even though one would think Pipp would have at least left more clues rather than letting her sister continue freaking out all episode, glowing cutie mark or not.  Hitch is kind of pointless in this episode, and Sunny freaking out doesn't really amount to anything either.  At least Sunny isn't portrayed as perfect, so I'll take it.

I do think there's a bit of a hype train derailment with this episode.  It was built up by the last one, and I really don't think it lives up to the hype.  Props for continuing the story of the last episode, but I really don't think it's the Part 2 this arc needed.  Also, why didn't Misty just take the lantern?  I get dropping it for a minute to avoid being detected, but burying it was a terrible plan.  She literally could have just gone back and taken it, and that would have really upped the ante for the story going forward.  Of course, this episode clumsily builds up to the next one, with Opaline just moving to the next thing, so I guess I'll head over to that discussion to share my thoughts on that one.

Seeing Zipp's investigation is just adorable, really. I enjoy Zipp a lot, she isn't just an RD clone like some thought from the start - she is unique and different, and so are all the mane 5. I am even appreciating Pipp more here, because of her intervention, Misty was never found to really be the culprit! Yay for Misty!