Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S01:E29 - Dragon Dad

Ashen Pathfinder

Title: Dragon Dad
Release Date: September 29, 2022
Written By: Tom Gidman
Synopsis: Hitch goes all to pieces when Sparkly goes missing, all the while Misty keeps a close on the Mane 5

Edited by Ashen Pathfinder
  • Brohoof 3

I had a feeling we'd see Misty in the episodes, I hope she isn't treated like a joke for long. Also, why was the episode lowkey the exact same as episode 8. Why couldn't the episode just be about Hitch spending with his annoying child? With Misty stalking them...

• Brohoof 3

This was definitely the best Hitch episode I think! The relationship between Hitch and Sparky is so heartwarming, lots of funny moments and it was just a really great episode for Hitch to practice his dragon dad skills.

And also… Misty and Opaline are in TYT now too!! So glad they’re not exclusive to MYM and they both look great in the TYT style! :kirin:

Overall great episode and definitely one of the best ones yet! :ticking:

• Brohoof 4

I like what Misty and Opaline look like in TYT, Opalines an improvement in a lot of ways tbh... Lol but, I feel like they kind of threw them into the show at a really awkward time, same with Sparky, it's like at this point it's just an assumption that you watched all of MyM, which they shouldnt have done bc some people didn't have time to watch 4 hours of MLP and just catch those 5 minute TYT episodes once a week, feel like most bronies and young MLP fans would get the reference to the shows plot but otherwise it's extremely random timing like in episode 29 of the mini series, no explanation or introduction to Misty or Opaline or even Sparky, "yes, these characters all exist and have existed" well who has been watching Sparky the first 28 episodes? 

Ultimately one of my least favorites aside from getting that adorable render of Misty.. and a big reason I liked these is the creative way of telling unique stories in a short amount of time, but, "sparky goes missing, "Opaline wants dragon fire" it was like not just a reference but a short simple version of the actual plot lol.. anyways... I wish Sparky sounded different, so badly... And looked different lol..

Edited by Reform Conundrum
  • Brohoof 3

Hitch showed a bit of reality defiance by using a paper shredder on all that food. Maybe he's got a little bit of Pinkie Pie in him? Or, maybe Izzy is rubbing off on him more than we all realize? At least she was able to get a kick out of it through her reaction.

Opaline and Misty transitioned well to Tell Your Tale's animation style, and I feel so sorry for all of those mishaps that befell the latter. If she believed in luck, a lot of it was bad.

• Brohoof 4

I really enjoyed this episode, on the surface. Misty and Opaline translated really well into 2D. Plus, 2D Sparky is way better than their 3D design. If only we could remove the baby from them, I think we could have a good character. 

Sadly, the story just combines aspects of two MYM episodes into one and relies on the viewer seeing MYM to really understand Misty and Opaline's sudden appearance. Sure, they have that brief flash back of Opaline obsessing over dragon fire, but meh.

I think this just adds to the bit of confusion G5 has with its multimedia approach. To see the bigger pictures, it's like you have to watch MYM, TYT and read the comics to keep up, and what's canon? Meh, just background issues, this was still a ton of fun to watch. 

This episode might have may favorite joke so far in G5 though. I can't stop cracking up where Sunny distracts Izzy from playing with the laser security system by jingling keys xD

• Brohoof 3

I just saw it this morning, very happy to finally get characters that have been in the shadows.

I think Sparky looks better in TYT than MYM

I'm also happy to see Misty and Opaline being involved as well instead of just for the big series. Though I'm not a fan of that trope of the heroes overshadowing the villains over and over without even realizing it. It just makes Opaline not feel like a big deal. I'm not saying that a villain can't be in a series a lot, like my story in the universe of G4 has Chrysalis working for her goal for the entire first story, but she's not around for about half of it due to her not knowing where my main character has run off to. And even when Chrysalis does find her, it still takes her multiple steps to take over. But I'm just wondering off as that's a little more MYM's issue. But yeah, just happy to see them bringing in new elements as it does feel ike TYT"s been running outta ideas a bit lately.

I'd give it a 3/5

• Brohoof 2

Really adored this episode!! Love seeing Hitch trying to be the best dragon dad that he can be, and it's so cute seeing how much he cares about Sparky!

And YESSS FINALLY MISTY IN TYT, SHE LOOKS SO CUTE.

• Brohoof 4

I had a weird feeling last week that Hitch's first absence would precede an episode about him, and lo and behold, here's an episode better than his last, even if it's not as good as Foal Me Once. Favorite gag was definitely Hitch trying to put food in a paper shredder and I like how they didn't hesitate at all to add the new Make Your Mark characters in after Chapter 2 dropped. What really intrigues me is how at the end of MYM Chapter 2, Misty said Opaline was made of fire, and here, Opaline is called a "fire alicorn"...is she literally a being of fire? Regardless, as much as I like Misty, I also enjoyed her deserved torment here and the best display of Hitch's genuine concern for Sparky's well being that you can do for a five-minute short.  

• Brohoof 1

I was surprised that Sparky already knew how to make paper airplanes. He might have learned it from Izzy.:)

I liked that joke about Hitch failing to make a proper alliteration. FIM was known for its alliteration, and it was nice to see it being referenced in G5.

I liked that joke about Hitch distracting Izzy by jangling keys. It was fitting since the episode was about Hitch trying to be the best parent he could be to Sparky.

Edited by Rosy Moonlight
  • Brohoof 2

It was a good episode. 

Coincidentally, I saw it just after I saw the eighth episode of MYM's chapter 2, and it felt like it was a funny and wackier take on the same plot.  At the time I was watching it, it didn't feel like it was a bad thing that it was a repeat plot; I was entertained, and even Opaline and Misty's introduction into TYT felt like it was played mostly for laughs.  And, of course, Misty's motivations weren't exactly the same as what they were in MYM.

The jokes were at a good pace, the plot was paced reasonably for the 5-minute format, and it was engaging.

I have to say, I don't like Misty's TYT design---at least, not when juxtaposed next to her MYM design.  Either design standing alone isn't bad per se, but I feel like the TYT design is just too different from the MYM design:  MYM's design pushes her hair to one side, and TYT's feels like it doesn't---just like how Izzy's mane is normal-sized but wavy and a little crazy in MYM, but huge in TYT:  either design on its own isn't bad, but they don't don't mesh together well.  And while Misty's mane in MYM looked like it was iridescent and intricate, TYT's design looks static, two-toned, and simple.

• Brohoof 1

This was a really fun episode! Sparky actually looks adorable here and Misty is just so cute omg. <3

The plot was engaging for its short runtime and no character came off as annoying. Heck; it even got a few laughs out of me, including the Izzy/keys joke. XD

• Brohoof 1

10 minutes ago, Ashen Pathfinder said:

This was a really fun episode! Sparky actually looks adorable here and Misty is just so cute omg. <3

The plot was engaging for its short runtime and no character came off as annoying. Heck; it even got a few laughs out of me, including the Izzy/keys joke. XD

I loved the way Sunny distracted her from the laser grid with keys :ButtercupLaugh:

• Brohoof 1

Ok, I'm glad this episode doesn't spoil episodes 3-6 of Chapter 2 of MYM.  With that said, this episode just reinforces why I hate baby characters, and while I kind of liked Hitch's overreaction to Sparky's care and safety in his MYM episode, it's cranked up to 11 here, and it's way overboard for me, along with Sparky's antics.  Of course we get forced quirky Izzy as well.  Also, it seems the forced villains aren't going to be absent in TYT either.  I figured that series would at least be where we could catch a break from them.  All in all, not my favoutite episode.  I'll have to make a point of continuing with MYM to see if it improves.  

Pretty entertaining overall, I liked Misty's scenes the best. It seems like she will replace Posey as the butt of jokes from now on (until there will be a better candidate), which is a shame since Posey is my favorite character in TYT XD. 

Edited by Rushing cash

I liked Misty in this for sure, and she's taken my spot of my favorite character. Posey is now my second favorite - where has she been lately? Nice funny episode for sure. It is good to see the Make Your Mark stuff is now included in this.

@Rushing cash

Glad to see someone else who likes Posey!

• Brohoof 1

Is it just me, or does Misty have her cutie mark in Tell Your Tale? Fruit landing on Hitch and Hitch trampling plants seems to be a running gag now, in addition to Misty being at the receiving end of slapstick jokes. How exactly does one shred snacks in a bag? And Izzy getting distracted by keys? I still can't seem to figure out if that should be in character for her. Also, it's interesting that Hitch can be calmed down by a bunnycorn.