Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Piecing Together What Happened (Show and Comic spoilers)

Codelyy

I'm mainly creating this topic as I wanted a place to discuss the events that lead to Gen 5 happening. I won't lie that I'm not the biggest fan of Gen 5 so far, but I am increasingly increased in how Gen 4 and 5 are connected, and the events that took place between the two. 

So far, from what I can piece together from what I've seen (and correct me if I miss something):

• According to Discord, there was a Unicorn that started spreading havoc across Equestria due to her "false ideals of a perfect Equestria". She managed to somehow separate every pony and I assume other species into abandoning their thoughts of equality, leading to fighting. I assume this Unicorn is Opaline. This then lead to what Discord describes as "truly terrible things" happening that lead to Equestria becoming more divided. It was only when Twilight eventually stored all the magic in the three crystals that there was harmony in Equestria again. 

• Sunny's version of the story seems to be a lot more simplified likely due to time. She describes the last part of Discord's story where Twilight stored the magic away into three crystals to keep the harmony. Though Sunny claims that after this, all the races decided to separate. She mentions that an Earth Pony got hurt by a Unicorn. This could be anyone but I again assume the Unicorn is Opaline. 

• Twilight's message I'm assuming seems to tell us about those "truly terrible things" that happened which Discord mentions. She's clearly talking about Opaline attempting to steal all the magic, to which she stores all the magic within the crystals to stop her. 

That is everything I gathered so far. Each story kinda lines up but there are clearly some important details missing. The main thing that seems to be missing is what happened that lead to each pony separating after the magic was stored away into the crystals. The way Discord tells the story, it seems like everything was good after the magic was stored away and harmony was back again, but clearly something happened after that. 

As I'm writing this, I also realise that its likely that Opaline was the Unicorn who eventually turned herself into a Alicorn by stealing magic. She then possibly went on some soft of rampage that lead to Twilight having to store the magic away and banish her. I feel like Twilight's decision to store the magic away likely came after many years of chaos. She likely did it to prevent anypony from ever using magic against each other. That's just a theory though.

I also avoided Misty's story as its clear that her story is a twisted version told by Opaline. 

Fascinating. I have other questions, or plot holes, that draw my attention.

So, I theorize that among the terrible things that happened the Windigoes returned...again...and who knows if The Legion of Doom actually escaped? I mean, it's shown early on that a lack of harmony can interfere with the magical seal that holds a petrified baddy in their imprisonment.

As for Opaline, it seemed like even in the flashbacks she was an alicorn, it was never said that she was a unicorn, was it? She, herself, claims to be ageless and working at getting her magic back all along. From who? Was she around when Celestia and Luna came to power, was her power ripped from her and given to them?

----

So, without magic, weather control was eliminated. Ponies back then had become quite reliant on weather control to advance the agricultural sector... So was there a famine they had to deal with at first?

Well, without magic, how then did Princess Twilight Sparkle deal with the lunar and solar cycles? Did those quickly correct themselves or was there a period of disorientation that would also have been devastating to agriculture. Perhaps this would also have sown distrust with the other nations who came to understand how much influence Equestria actually had over this.

Oh, and magic seemed to be how pegasus ponies achieve flight. Both in G4 and in G5, so giving that up meant that Rainbow Dash would have been grounded, I wonder how much convincing she would have needed to make that sacrifice?

And were Celestia and Luna ever consulted? Was this after their lifetime? If the Mane Six were all still living to perform this magic and seal the magic into the crystals, perhaps not?

Spike and Discord should be nearly ageless, and I can't imagine Spike ever turning his back on Ponykind, especially not Twilight Sparkle, so is he lying in wait somewhere, waiting for a signal or sign of some sort?

I don't often cross associated the comics with the show canon since the show tends to crap all over anything the comics puts forth.

1 hour ago, flutterJackdash said:

Fascinating. I have other questions, or plot holes, that draw my attention.

So, I theorize that among the terrible things that happened the Windigoes returned...again...and who knows if The Legion of Doom actually escaped? I mean, it's shown early on that a lack of harmony can interfere with the magical seal that holds a petrified baddy in their imprisonment.

As for Opaline, it seemed like even in the flashbacks she was an alicorn, it was never said that she was a unicorn, was it? She, herself, claims to be ageless and working at getting her magic back all along. From who? Was she around when Celestia and Luna came to power, was her power ripped from her and given to them?

----

So, without magic, weather control was eliminated. Ponies back then had become quite reliant on weather control to advance the agricultural sector... So was there a famine they had to deal with at first?

Well, without magic, how then did Princess Twilight Sparkle deal with the lunar and solar cycles? Did those quickly correct themselves or was there a period of disorientation that would also have been devastating to agriculture. Perhaps this would also have sown distrust with the other nations who came to understand how much influence Equestria actually had over this.

Oh, and magic seemed to be how pegasus ponies achieve flight. Both in G4 and in G5, so giving that up meant that Rainbow Dash would have been grounded, I wonder how much convincing she would have needed to make that sacrifice?

And were Celestia and Luna ever consulted? Was this after their lifetime? If the Mane Six were all still living to perform this magic and seal the magic into the crystals, perhaps not?

Spike and Discord should be nearly ageless, and I can't imagine Spike ever turning his back on Ponykind, especially not Twilight Sparkle, so is he lying in wait somewhere, waiting for a signal or sign of some sort?

I don't often cross associated the comics with the show canon since the show tends to crap all over anything the comics puts forth.

I'll be honest, I feel like a lot of these questions will never be answered. A lot of what I mentioned does depend on the comics being canon too, but as they seem to be going into similar territories about the lore between Gen 4 and 5, I fear they'll eventually contradict each other.

The Windigoes is something I've thought about for awhile, but as they are never mentioned in any story, I fear they may have just been forgotten about. Who knows. Maybe they are part of that "Truly terrible things" part of Discord's story, and Twilight's solution of storing the magic away if there is a lack of harmony basically removed the Windigoes altogether. 

You bring up a lot of other interesting points as well but.. yea sadly I'm not sure. Magic is so crucial to the world of Equestria and MLP in general that It feels like you can't simply just take magic away without needing to answer 500 other questions. It feels like Equestria should have just completely collapsed without magic... but I guess it did.