Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general questions Editing my username on Poniverse

Twilight Sparkle97

Is there any possible way to edit my username on Poniverse? I want to change it to match my current account display name. I used my real former dead name, when I joined here back in 2020. Thats not my name anymore and I find it pointless for me to be unable to edit it. Does anyone know how to edit it? 

Edited by The Wife of Levi

• The title was changed to Editing my username on Poniverse

Hey there! While, you can change your display name on Poniverse, sadly, once you make your username, that's the one you're stuck with. To do this, login to your Poniverse account and then hop over to preferences. There, you can change your display name. Hope this helps! :)

It is *technically* possible for certain Poniverse administrators (Not MLPForums admins) to change your Poniverse login name. As I understand it, it's not a trivial exercise, and at any given time I think there's there's only one or two system admin-types who know how to do it, so only ask if you are *really* sure about it. If you are that sure, I recommend creating a support ticket. https://mlpforums.com/support/

23 hours ago, Princess Zara said:

I want to change it to match my current account display name.

Your actual account name is a number, 46542 in this case, which when entered into the address bar will change to your current display name:
https://mlpforums.com/profile/46542-doesntmatterwhatyourcurrentnameis/?wr=eyJhcHAiOiJmb3J1bXMiLCJtb2R1bGUiOiJmb3J1bXMtY29tbWVudCIsImlkXzEiOjE5ODYzOSwiaWRfMiI6NjA3MzA1MX0=

This forum's main purpose is to interact with others. Changing names defeats that very purpose.

The forum shows a list of all your previous user names:
previousnames.png.09a5561ae785c9dba6268784b916b0ff.png

So even guests can see who you were back when you joined. This is not editable. It will never be editable. It is the only way others know who you are (by seeing who you were), since changing your user name is confusing to your friends and other members.

On 2022-10-01 at 4:53 PM, Princess Zara said:

Is there any possible way to edit my username on Poniverse?

Yes and no. There are two ways. The process that @Fhaolan mentioned, which I would strongly advise against since it can result in your old account being 'orphaned' where you will lose all access to the account.

There is another way though, and it too may have some strange consequences. I have, in some cases, merged accounts. This would require several manual steps from you, and would require you to use a different email address than what is tied to your current Poniverse account. If this is okay with you then PM me and we will take it from there. If not, and you are unwilling to accept the risk of losing access to your current account, then no ... there is no way to update your Poniverse login information. 

On 2022-10-02 at 5:04 PM, Splashee said:

Your actual account name is a number, 46542 in this case, which when entered into the address bar will change to your current display name:

That's number is the User # assigned by the Forum software. The OP was the 16,542nd account to be created on the forum (basically). The Poniverse username has its own number that is not user facing. With respect to the forums, nobody here can see what your Poniverse username is. There really is no point in changing it, and it was not designed with the ability to update it. That said for general user experience reasons, I have some work arounds that I can play with.  

On 2022-10-02 at 5:04 PM, Splashee said:

So even guests can see who you were back when you joined.

They better not be able to see that. I'll take a closer look tomorrow because it's late now, but I have it turned off for guests. Also, I can edited it manually. I have sanitized it by request for several users with some targeted sql. It's manual, so I don't advertise it often. 

@Rikifive if you are on before I am again, can you confirm that the Display Name History is not viewable for logged out individuals? This is that section in the permissions for Guest accounts. 

Screen Shot 2022-10-04 at 3.48.25 AM.png

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Jeric said:

@Rikifive if you are on before I am again, can you confirm that the Display Name History is not viewable for logged out individuals? This is that section in the permissions for Guest accounts. 

I was actually checking that earlier when I was thinking of replying yesterday. Everything seemed, and (I checked again just now) still seems to be in order, the display name history isn't accessible when one isn't logged in.

You pretty much summarized what I was thinking of saying, that Poniverse username is its own very thing that nobody else sees.

Although, as for reasons why one may want to change it, if I'm not mistaking, the Poniverse Username (not to be mistaken with editable Poniverse Display Name) is the account name one uses for logging in, and is the only one (mentioned by the field) valid input for the login field. So I imagine the reason could be wanting to keep login credentials up to date. It's not rare for users to forget the former (often old and "dead") username or email address used for registering. Unless putting the Poniverse Display Name is correct too, then it wouldn't matter.

By the way I'd like to mention, that the mailing system isn't operational currently, most likely related to other ongoing issues with the forums. Replying to support tickets doesn't send emails, requesting password reset (as we speak about poniverse stuff) doesn't do anything either.