Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Bunk G5 Criticisms

Misty Shadow

I always do my best to be a good sport about criticism and encourage others to do the same. However, what critical remarks of G5 are you getting tired of seeing because they ignore information that proves them wrong? I'm not talking points of criticism like, "Tell Your Tale's animation is cheap-looking.", that's an example of valid criticism. I'm talking about things like callouts of fictitious plotholes and errors that aren't there. For example, saying that Zipp randomly became a detective in Make Your Mark's pilot when that was actually part of a plot line started in Tell Your Tale. This is not a thread for listing grievances about criticisms you merely disagree with, it's a thread for listing fallacious criticisms that can be dismissed by facts contradicting them. For more examples, I have a whole list. 

https://www.deviantart.com/cloudmistdragon/art/Top-10-Bunk-Criticisms-of-MLP-G5-931961860

Those are the ones I'm getting most weary of, do any of you have any to share? 

• Brohoof 3

The part about Zipp randomly becoming a detective is something I think is valid. There was this handbook that was put out and listed under Zipps hobbies it said she enjoyed "Physics and Math" As well as in the movie behind her is a bunch of equation mumbo jumbo.

On your devientart page number 5 is completely valid however in your opinion shouldn't the wendigoes have appeared in MYM when the ponies were arguing with each other?

In my opinion the movie isn't as good as people say it was. It's a great start and set my expectations a little high, but they took out so many good ideas and it falls into tropes at the end. 

The 8 episode format doesn't help G5 at all. They need to use TYT for filler and MYM for the lore. 

What exactly are the writers planning to do with Sprout? I'm aware he's not a main character but it's weird to not have him as a background character. Especially since he's getting his own comic? 

For Sunny supposedly being the main character she doesn't seem like it, in the MYM special she didn't even bother to listen or believe what Zipp was saying. She should've been a historian or something like her father. (Example, it seemed like Sunny knew a lot about Twilight)

Speaking of comics, I don't read the comics, (I get a synopsis from someone on YT) I don't watch every single TYT episode. And some of the stuff in them seem to be canon, but how would anyone know if it's never mentioned in the main show? Also do the comics depict future events? Will discord be in G5? (show) 

Hitch doesn't feel like he did in the movie. He's was depicted as a confident and rational leader, however he lacks those traits and seems more awkward. 

MYM chapter 1&2 feels similar to pre-school shows. Yes, MLP is for kids but shows like Trollhunters, Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts, Chaotic, Adventure Time, don't treat you like a baby. Compare the dialogue in those shows to MYM. There's a difference. 

TYT episodes should take place somewhere other than Mare-time Bay 

38 minutes ago, Star_Quake said:

The part about Zipp randomly becoming a detective is something I think is valid. There was this handbook that was put out and listed under Zipps hobbies it said she enjoyed "Physics and Math" As well as in the movie behind her is a bunch of equation mumbo jumbo.

On your devientart page number 5 is completely valid however in your opinion shouldn't the wendigoes have appeared in MYM when the ponies were arguing with each other?

It certainly was not random in the context of it happening in the Make Your Mark pilot, both Tell Your Tale and the comics prove it was a plot point that was always planned. The handbook actually serves as even more evidence it was planned even then, as it shows Zipp likes to solve problems. That's what detectives do, they solve problems. 

It wasn't quarrelling at the level that would cause Windigos to appear. The trigger for the magic to become unstable in MYM was the earth ponies' resentment for the unicorns and pegasi, not a fight. 

And although I understand your sentiments, this topic concerns bunk criticisms of G5. This is not the G5's flaws thread. :P 

• Brohoof 1

13 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

It certainly was not random in the context of it happening in the Make Your Mark pilot, both Tell Your Tale and the comics prove it was a plot point that was always planned. The handbook actually serves as even more evidence it was planned even then, as it shows Zipp likes to solve problems. That's what detectives do, they solve problems. 

It wasn't quarrelling at the level that would cause Windigos to appear. The trigger for the magic to become unstable in MYM was the earth ponies' resentment for the unicorns and pegasi, not a fight. 

Exactly, Zipp liked solving problems. Math problems, as it seemed that's what they alluded to at first. This was before the comics, TYT, and MYM solidified their change to make her a detective instead, wouldn't it make more sense for Hitch to be a detective? I don't (maybe) disagree with detective Zipp, but I was excited to see that she was an athlete who loved physics.

They did have a mini fight when they were having the sand-building contest. At the beginning I'd say it was just quarreling, but why would the crystal cause a storm? It makes sense for their magic to weaken, rather than the crystal kill ponies by engulfing them in a giant black hole. (So much for unity)  

13 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

And although I understand your sentiments, this topic concerns bunk criticisms of G5. This is not the G5's flaws thread. :P 

Woops sorry

• Brohoof 1

• 5 weeks later...

It's time to give this thread a bump, because I had to make a big update to the #1 section in my post on DA. Someone pointed out to me that the bunk criticism of Twilight being a tyrant stealing the magic and the one to blame for magic's disappearance is even worse than I initially thought, check this out. 

dfh4kbx-a7a245d6-acac-4f4b-9eda-56098087

This panel directly succeeds the panel showing Twilight putting the world's magic into the crystals. It's shown right there that the ponies would continue to have access to magic so long as they stayed united. Oh, reactionary critics of G5... :maud:

• Brohoof 1

Pretty sure the main source of the bunk criticism is due to the mistaken expectation of G5 being the second coming of FIM, specially since being a distant sequel to FIM is beyond debate by now. 

• Brohoof 1

On 2022-10-06 at 12:08 AM, CloudMistDragon said:

"Tell Your Tale's animation is cheap-looking.", that's an example of valid criticism.

Good, because it is cheap.

On 2022-11-06 at 1:19 AM, CloudMistDragon said:

This panel directly succeeds the panel showing Twilight putting the world's magic into the crystals.

What's that comic from? Is it G5 or G4? The art style looks G4 to me.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

One criticism I've heard directed toward G5 is “Opaline is a generic Saturday morning cartoon villain!”.

It’s not like the G4 villains were super complex either.

Unless you seriously want to argue, “NO, GUYSH, QUEEN CHRYSHALISH ISH ACKSHUALLY A MULTI-DIMENSHUNAL CHARACTER WITH A TRAGIC BACKSHTORY AND COMPLICATED GOALSH!”.

Edited by CastletonSnob
  • Brohoof 2

On 2022-10-05 at 5:39 PM, Star_Quake said:

Hitch doesn't feel like he did in the movie. He's was depicted as a confident and rational leader, however he lacks those traits and seems more awkward. 

To me, Hitch Trailblazer seems a lot more "cartoony" and over the top than he did in A New Generation.

Bunk G5 Criticisms

Hmm..."Pipp only cares about taking selfies." I don't like that one. 

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, CastletonSnob said:

One criticism I've heard directed toward G5 is “Opaline is a generic Saturday morning cartoon villain!”.

Unless you seriously want to argue, “NO, GUYSH, QUEEN CHRYSHALISH ISH ACKSHUALLY A MULTI-DIMENSHUNAL CHARACTER WITH A TRAGIC BACKSHTORY AND COMPLICATED GOALSH!”.

"Thank you." This is why the characters lacking back stories completely, or that are entirely motivated by self interest aren't less shallow than Starlight, you have to head Canon a lot for ALL these villains.... To even slightly justify/comprehend why they did what they did

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, CastletonSnob said:

That is true. in The beginning, FiM had some very generic one time villains, where it took several seasons (+fandom) to make them into what they are today. It took time. Question is, how much time do we have to wait for G5 to do something? It has been years now since the characters were introduced to the world.

Opaline has to step up though. She has not been doing more than Saturday morning cartoon villain (so far).

• Brohoof 1

On 2022-12-13 at 11:03 AM, Splashee said:

That is true. in The beginning, FiM had some very generic one time villains, where it took several seasons (+fandom) to make them into what they are today. It took time. Question is, how much time do we have to wait for G5 to do something? It has been years now since the characters were introduced to the world.

Opaline has to step up though. She has not been doing more than Saturday morning cartoon villain (so far).

Does she needs to be anything else :huh:? I actually like the generic SMC villain, hits in the childhood :oh_golly:

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Does she needs to be anything else :huh:? I actually like the generic SMC villain, hits in the childhood :oh_golly:

You are absolutely right. She doesn't have to be.

It is just that G5 has made the choice to be like this, and it feels like a downgrade. I wouldn't be upset if it was for Pony Life or Tale Your Tale where you have short stories. But the main cartoon needs to be on par with FiM..... ......

Okay, so what happens if G5 (Make Your Mark) is not influential and a phenomenon online? What was it Bronies were so critical of when FiM was new (in 2010)? It was to differentiate it from the past, to take it away from the older generations, as far as possible, so that those older shows and toys couldn't hurt them.

In the end, G5 will just be a cartoon for children. Nothing wrong with that.

7 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Yeah, this is a time where I disagree with what appears to be a dominant popular opinion in the fandom, that Opaline is somehow already worse than the G4 villains. Even though we don't know her backstory yet or have seen her in action yet. 

*looks over at how Sombra, my all-time favorite MLP villain, had no backstory or real action before being given both by outside-show media two years later* 

Don't feel the comparison's fair. 

I just don't like her design tbh, I feel like they have a chance to expand upon that backstory like I want more details about the specifics of the accidents that led to disharmony, they have A LOT of blanks they can fill in here, but just because the potential for headcanon is rich doesn't make the writing competence better nor give them the ability to see these opportunities to give these characters more depth, like of we don't get background on Misty I'll feel let down, thinking she's just an orphan that got scooped up by Opaline without giving us any context to what happened in all these years of her being raised by an Evil Alicorn, they don't "behave" like an abusive mother and a Stockholm daughter, they act more like a silly lacky working for her Boss with no other options... She knows the ponies have magic, she knows Opaline is weak right now, literally NOTHING is stopping her from being like, ya see ya "mom", aside from this inherent sense of obligation that's not being explained, I'd actually like it if they showed more on the childhood so we can understand where this obligation comes from...

• 2 months later...
(edited)

Okay, who here is getting tired of people acting like FiM was some incredible role model of how to do world-building filled with epic adventure? I know I am, because it sure wasn't. 

"G5 just can't match FiM's immaculate world-building and stories filled with adventure!" 

Yeah, FiM's world-building was just flawless with things they never explained (why Flurry Heart is a natural-born alicorn), things that had no real impact on the world (the Kirin), things that were incredibly underutilized (the Pillars), things that were introduced and very quickly dropped (Spike getting a pet phoenix), things that went absolutely nowhere (Spike getting a "dad" who turns out to be a fraud), the grand culmination of all the parts of the world coming together being through everyone's favorite element of the show, the School of Friendship, and much of the exploration of the world happening in slice-of-life episodes, which constituted the vast majority of the show's episodes and generally followed a safe formula of the main characters needing to solve a "friendship problem" or some other kind of issue with low stakes. 

It wouldn't bug me so much if it had not been for the fact that fans used to RAIL against FiM over everything and are now acting like they always thought everything about it was awesome. :yeahno:

Edited by CloudMistDragon
  • Brohoof 1

I realized I haven't posted here so I might as well give my thoughts on it

FiM's definitely far from flawless. You can really tell there are a lot of things they were just throwing in "just because". There's also a truckload of world-building issues ranging from poor planning, ignored ideas and plot-threads, to being afraid to take risks, to honestly laziness bordering on malice(seriously, why make a huge deal about Spike's backstory and not only further elaborate, but actively pull the rug and go "HA! We got ya good!" when actually addressing the idea?)

Now, I agree that most of the criticisms revolving G5 are pretty unfair, but also I haven't been keeping up G5 because honestly? It hasn't been engaging. It's, well, okay. Nothing has been offensively bad, nothing on par with Newbie Dash or Father Knows Beast, but nothing really reaching the height of FiM at it's best......except for the Movie, which to me is probably is the bigger issue with G5. That movie set a high bar and I feel the show just hasn't been able to capitalize on it. Honestly I don't know if it's a good thing that the small, more comedic TYT has been the stronger of two shows, but it's doesn't need to do much either, it just wants to be a fun show. I also don't know if it's a good thing that the worst thing I've seen in G5 is fart jokes because that's not something I associate, nor want to associate, with MLP

I guess that's my main criticism on G5, it's just fine, but could be a lot more

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2023-03-04 at 4:32 AM, Megas said:

I realized I haven't posted here so I might as well give my thoughts on it

FiM's definitely far from flawless. You can really tell there are a lot of things they were just throwing in "just because". There's also a truckload of world-building issues ranging from poor planning, ignored ideas and plot-threads, to being afraid to take risks, to honestly laziness bordering on malice(seriously, why make a huge deal about Spike's backstory and not only further elaborate, but actively pull the rug and go "HA! We got ya good!" when actually addressing the idea?)

Now, I agree that most of the criticisms revolving G5 are pretty unfair, but also I haven't been keeping up G5 because honestly? It hasn't been engaging. It's, well, okay. Nothing has been offensively bad, nothing on par with Newbie Dash or Father Knows Beast, but nothing really reaching the height of FiM at it's best......except for the Movie, which to me is probably is the bigger issue with G5. That movie set a high bar and I feel the show just hasn't been able to capitalize on it. Honestly I don't know if it's a good thing that the small, more comedic TYT has been the stronger of two shows, but it's doesn't need to do much either, it just wants to be a fun show. I also don't know if it's a good thing that the worst thing I've seen in G5 is fart jokes because that's not something I associate, nor want to associate, with MLP

I guess that's my main criticism on G5, it's just fine, but could be a lot more

Yeah, G5 criticisms need to be more like this. I totally get someone looking at it as a mediocre disappointment. But when we're constantly getting totally not biased Youtube essay after totally not biased Youtube essay breathing down its neck like it ran over their dog...it's like bruh, REALLY? Granted, fans were breathing down FiM's neck a lot too, but the complaints with FiM were a lot more consistent with the way it was putting out content. G5 hasn't even given us that much content yet and it's getting swamped with so much criticism that we're having a problem with oversaturation. 

• 2 months later...
On 2022-11-05 at 8:19 PM, CloudMistDragon said:

It's time to give this thread a bump, because I had to make a big update to the #1 section in my post on DA. Someone pointed out to me that the bunk criticism of Twilight being a tyrant stealing the magic and the one to blame for magic's disappearance is even worse than I initially thought, check this out. 

dfh4kbx-a7a245d6-acac-4f4b-9eda-56098087

This panel directly succeeds the panel showing Twilight putting the world's magic into the crystals. It's shown right there that the ponies would continue to have access to magic so long as they stayed united. Oh, reactionary critics of G5... :maud:

So.. "be united or no magic for you all"
Still comes off as forcing them.  

• 6 months later...

It's time to give this thread a bump because we now have three bunk criticisms from my list last year that were fully confirmed to be bunk by Make Your Mark Chapter 6. 

https://www.deviantart.com/mistybrightshadow/art/MLP-Top-10-Bunk-G5-Criticisms-2022-971312522

“The stories of the Mane 5 in Make Your Mark’s pilot don’t come together and the dragon egg plot is unnecessary.”

“Sparky is just Flurry Heart but with no destiny.”

G5 assassinated Twilight Sparkle’s character by having her steal the magic from the ponies of Equestria, making her a despot in creating the Unity Crystals.”

The day would not have been saved in MYM Chapter 6's Roots of All Evil if not for Sparky and the special powers he got from Maretime Bay's Together Tree, something that was foreshadowed all the way back in MYM Chapter 2's Growing Pains. His inclusion in the series was always necessary and he always had a destiny. You know how much I've already beaten into the ground how bunk Twilight's alleged character assassination is, but regardless, it has to be noted that Spike fully confirms in MYM Chapter 6's The Isle of Scaly that the ponies lost magic all by themselves. 

So now that we know what we do, are we going to be getting any admissions from the people who spread these fallacious comments that they were wrong? I'll hold my breath. OnyxEmoteForum.png.8b6a419e60e062fe0df4228c669d5bda.png 

• 2 weeks later...