Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S01:E30 - Nightmare Night Party

Ashen Pathfinder

Title: Nightmare Night Party
Release Date: October 6, 2022
Written By: Ryan Denham
Synopsis: N/A

NOTE: FIRST 30-MINUTE EPISODE! Never mind; there's a compilation thing after the episode. UGH!

Edited by Ashen Pathfinder
  • Brohoof 3

@Ashen Pathfinder I thought it was gonna be a 30 minute special too, but it’s just a compilation after the first five minutes. :muffins:

But seriously, I think this might be my favorite episode now! Everypony had such wonderful costumes, especially Sunny as NIGHTMARE MOON!! :ticking: :ithastolookpretty:

Misty and Opaline up to their usual shenanigans and Misty is so adorable trying to fit in with the party! :mlp_icwudt:

New song was fantastic too and it was all in all a fantastic episode of TYT! And this is episode 30 too! 

Long love G5!! :yay:

• Brohoof 3

6 minutes ago, Savygriffs said:

Aww I thought we got our first 30 minute episode!! 

I thought it was an error but they used the number thumbnail. I wonder why they did that? 

It was nice of Nightmare Moon to make a cameo. Sunny is such a FiM nerd. :ithastolookpretty:

Jazz is quicky becoming one of my favorite secondary ponies she's adorable and I wanna give her a BIG hug! :D

• Brohoof 2

Zipp had the best costume in my opinion and although Nightmare Moon might not be my favorite villain I do love the shout out to Equestrian lore and of course FiM, looks like we've converged timelines seeing as everypony knows who Misty is, we now know that these new episodes take place after officially meeting Misty, so we know there won't be a TYT introduction/meeting of the Mane 5 and Misty they already know each other in TYT as well... 

• Brohoof 3

Was Izzy's costume a reference to cupcakes? Anyway, discord would be proud of this costume. Sunny as NMM was epic and Pipp had the same costume she had in that video of hers in the bananas episode (so I guess its a nightmarish outfit for her), I wonder if they recently brought this holiday back in G5 or did it remain throughout the generations but just lost its origins? And will it be addressed in MYM? As they are not set in exactly the same "universe".  

Opaline's reaction to the flying snail was hilarious, its funny to see how out of touch she is XD. At last, Misty had some fun.

I would say that this was the best overall episode in TYT, I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Edited by Rushing cash
  • Brohoof 1

If they actually snuck in a reference to Cupcakes with Izzy's costume, wow:o I was already so surprised by them acknowledging both Nightmare Night and Nightmare Moon in the same episode I didn't even catch that, I just thought Izzy "trying to be all of her friends" was cool. I also really enjoyed how this was the first time Izzy was suspicious of Misty and the song in this one was one of my favorites. Really good Halloween episode. :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 3

Nightmare Night lives on!  The Princess of the Night would be pleased :orly:

This was a fun episode.  The song is catchy and will end up on my Halloween playlist, as soon as I find full version.  A lot of fun references with the costumes, especially the return of Nightmare Moon with the added Sunny cheer.  It was nice to see Misty actually having some fun, it'll be interesting to see what moment really makes her 'sparkle' shine.  I'm starting to think she might really like butterflies.

With a good episode like this, it gives me high hopes for other holiday episodes to possibly come.

As adorable as it was, it was a little sad that Opaline got interrupted by the flying snail.  She was just about to drop how out dated Nightmare Night was and possibly give us a hint of timeline!  Oh well.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, waited til now to watch this because I thought it was 30 minutes. :okiedokieloki:

Great to see nightmare night is still a thing! :BrightMacContent: And Sunny as Nightmare Moon was awesome. Just like Twilight as Starswirl.

The triplets of terror were a funny take on the spooky twins thing.

shining-twins-now-1590166272018.jpg

And Opaline doesn't know what flying snails are. That makes me think all these weird new animals were created by magic pretty recently. 

• Brohoof 1

Just am FYI; I am SALTY about the runtime. 

That said; episode was supremely fun! Pipp being best pone again, Zipp looking bad ass, Sunny absolutely ROCKING that Nightmare Moon costume, and Misty being absolutely adorable, <3

• Brohoof 1

I love some of the subtle references to famous characters such as the spooky twins though now as triplets, a nod to Green Arrow, Nightmare Moon from G4, and a combination of each of the mane five courtesy of Izzy. It seems Nightmare Night continues to be a tradition in Equestria though much of the scare factor seems to have died down. Jazz being inadvertently saved by Misty was unexpected as I expected the former to end up getting embarrassed or humiliated. Even when she tries to be a villain, Misty is more like a helpful klutz.

I think we got the best song so far, mostly because it tries.  I don't think it's quite on par with the stuff we got with FiM and EQG, but it's a start.  It probably would have gotten repetitive if it hadn't been interrupted though.  

TBH, I'm sensing the series is ironically going to start getting more repetitive now that it's trying to have more of a storyline.  I do like Misty and Opaline, but if every episode is going to be this, it's going to get real formulaic, real fast.  I did think the formula of helping ponies learn how to use their magic to improve their lives was becoming old hat, but at least those episodes are spread out, while Opaline and Misty's antics appear to be here to stay indefinitely.  Also, part of me thinks it would have been more interesting if the episode could actually just be about Nightmare Night, and some subplot related to that, such as Jazz's uncertainty over what costume to pick.  I did like that Misty accidentally helped her out though.  

All in all, it's an interesting enough episode; not the best, but far from the worst.  

1 hour ago, AlbaTross said:

I think we got the best song so far, mostly because it tries.  I don't think it's quite on par with the stuff we got with FiM and EQG, but it's a start.  It probably would have gotten repetitive if it hadn't been interrupted though. 

I kind of agree. The music in G5 is getting kind of boring to me, but that's because all of it is just modern pop music. There was a lot more variety in G4.

Nightmare Night episodes tended to be great in FiM and I'm glad the trend is continuing. Sunny as Nightmare Moon is very ironic but I think the costumes look great. I'm so glad Misty and Opaline showed up.

30 minutes of footage for episode 30? That's weird. Honestly, it's too much for a clip compilation, so I didn't bother to watch much after the proper episode concluded. 

10 hours ago, ProjectRKA said:

I kind of agree. The music in G5 is getting kind of boring to me, but that's because all of it is just modern pop music. There was a lot more variety in G4.

That there was.  I don't actually have anything against modern pop music, but FiM's music spanned a number of genres, and tried to be unique every time.  Also, if it was just a case of the songs being modern pop music, it wouldn't have been quite as bad as it is here.  The real problem I have is it's the same kind of music, because at least 90% of it is just Pipp singing, and it's not even a case of her singing different kinds of songs either.  It's even a running gag that she just rearranges her existing songs, but it's less funny to me when it actually overstays its welcome. 

Sure, I don't mind Pipp's singing, but there needs to be some variety.  If it's in character for her to do most of the singing due to her being an actual celebrity in her world, then at the very least some effort should be put into making tracks for her that sound different enough.  That one song she sang to attract Sparky's attention, and this one here are a small improvement, but I fully expect the series to go back to her singing the same stuff over and over.  On the other hand, even that's an improvement over replaying that same cringe bunny hop song over and over again, so maybe this Nightmare Night song is the best we can expect from this series, and we should just accept what we can get.  

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, AlbaTross said:

so maybe this Nightmare Night song is the best we can expect from this series, and we should just accept what we can get.  

I don't think we should just accept what we can get. Then the show is going to stagnate and get boring because there's not really any improvement.

But, as I've mentioned over on the mlp subreddit, Sunny's expression for Nightmare Moon is spot on. Also, I love that the audience is actually scared and without reading too much into it, it means that they at least have some notion of who she is, which is really cool to see.

Monster Party starts with a wolf howl and ends with as short 'hahaha', just like in Michael Jackson's Thriller.  It is more noticeable in the Official Lyric Video.

• Brohoof 2

I hope they start having some slice-of-life episodes again; it feels like every episode since MYM came out had Misty and Opaline sneaking around.

What I like about this one, though, is that Opaline made assumptions about the ponies' magic, and didn't see what happened when they worked together---it hints that Opaline might not be as formidable as she thinks she is!

On 2022-10-08 at 8:04 AM, ProjectRKA said:

I don't think we should just accept what we can get. Then the show is going to stagnate and get boring because there's not really any improvement.

But, as I've mentioned over on the mlp subreddit, Sunny's expression for Nightmare Moon is spot on. Also, I love that the audience is actually scared and without reading too much into it, it means that they at least have some notion of who she is, which is really cool to see.

I will agree that Sunny dressing up as Nightmare Moon was a fun choice.  You are correct too that we probably shouldn't just settle.  However, I'm at the stage where I'll take anything that hooks me even a little.  It's certainly going to take more than small touches to keep me invested long-term.  Then again, I'm still here for now.  Clearly there is enough going on with G5 for me to at least one to stick with it for the time being.  I even think it has some potential to be decent in its own right.  Still, I certainly question more choices made with this series than not.  So, I'll take a reasonably entertaining short.  It's not that deep, but it's a start.

• Brohoof 1