Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Super Mario (2023)

Steve Piranha

Had a blast with the movie

+Getting the obvious one out of the way, music is excellent, utilizing the Mario music throughout. Something other VG movies seriously lack
+We were too harsh on Chris Pratt, he's a great Mario
+Love proactive Peach, hope we get to see her more like this
+Bowser fuckin carries the movie, easily the star of the movie
+Besides Bowser, my favorite characters shockingly enough were DK and Toad
+Love how they portrayed Mario and Luigi's relationship
+Loved seeing how all the powere ups were used
+all the references and cameos were very fun to see

Spoiler

Also me upon seeing the Arwing cameo in the beginning
Untitled.png.337c0e33f06c1a5302e333c1d1a6b3df.png

-Obvious not without it's issues. On the other hand, while I loved Luigi, there's not enough of him
-oh boy, the pacing is just wack

Obviously not a movie that's going to be mindblowing, but it's clearly a movie that loves the franchise it's based off of and I really hope we get to see more of these movies in the future, as well as movies based on other Nintendo franchises(Metroid, Starfox, and Zelda when?)

1 hour ago, Megas said:

+We were too harsh on Chris Pratt, he's a great Mario

On defense of the criticism, the “wahoo” during the Nintendo Direct trailer was legitimately lackluster. Subsequent trailers with the same scene did show improvement, with several videos making the comparison. That showed genuine improvement.

also, another comment, I’ve never minded Chris Pratt in the main role, but was afraid for Charles Martinet to just be thrown into random background roles. Thank god his two characters were of significant legacy on Mario :lookup:

• Brohoof 1

Umm, no. I saw the trailers and was thinking, “Awesome! This looks so cool!” but then I heard the generic, utterly terrible voice of Peach and that killed it for me. Honestly, does the same voice actress do EVERY female character out there? Do they hire her because she’s boring, annoying and most of all, un-feminine? I mean, it’s as if the world might end if she acted and sounded like a real princess!

That may be nitpicking, so I'll maybe take a look at it when it goes to a streaming service. 

• Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, Dreambiscuit said:

Umm, no. I saw the trailers and was thinking, “Awesome! This looks so cool!” but then I heard the generic, utterly terrible voice of Peach and that killed it for me. Honestly, does the same voice actress do EVERY female character out there? Do they hire her because she’s boring, annoying and most of all, un-feminine? I mean, it’s as if the world might end if she acted and sounded like a real princess!

That may be nitpicking, so I'll maybe take a look at it when it goes to a streaming service. 

You're mad they made Peach sound like a regular person?

5 hours ago, Megas said:

You're mad they made Peach sound like a regular person?

I’m not mad that she sounds like a normal person, but mad that she sounds generic and lacking in any character. She’s a cartoon character, and as such she should have a more expressive, caricatured voice. Her voice has already been established in the video games so why not go with that same sound? The movie version is calculated to avoid making her sound too feminine (gasp!) in a world that constantly tries to force that nature from female characters. It’s not true to Peach’s character, hence I don’t like it.

I just watched it, and I think it was good. I mean, as good as a Super Mario movie can be in 2023. Decisions about the plot, the characters, and the music were just safe, probably to keep Nintendo happy. If Nintendo actually made their own movie, I think it would have been more related to the actual games.

• Brohoof 1

Yep, I really liked it. The voice acting was far better than I expected. Mario Pratt was fine and most of the others were good too.

I know that there were a lot of references, but it's one of those things where they just made me happy to see. I had a real goofy grin when I heard the song from the old cartoon. Bowser and Luigi stole the show in whatever scene they were in.

They definitely played it safe here and the pacing wasn't very good, especially towards the end of the movie. I do feel like it is more difficult to come up with an origin story for Mario, because there really isn't too much you can do with it, but overall I felt like they did a decent job with the material. Am looking forward to what they can do with an eventual sequel. There will be one. They made way too much money with this movie.

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, Cash_In said:

Yep, I really liked it. The voice acting was far better than I expected. Mario Pratt was fine and most of the others were good too.

I know that there were a lot of references, but it's one of those things where they just made me happy to see. I had a real goofy grin when I heard the song from the old cartoon. Bowser and Luigi stole the show in whatever scene they were in.

They definitely played it safe here and the pacing wasn't very good, especially towards the end of the movie. I do feel like it is more difficult to come up with an origin story for Mario, because there really isn't too much you can do with it, but overall I felt like they did a decent job with the material. Am looking forward to what they can do with an eventual sequel. There will be one. They made way too much money with this movie.

They are on their way of being among, if not being the biggest grossing animated movie in history. I’d be surprised if they don’t make sequels if not an outright NCU :mlp_icwudt:

My expectations on the movie were lowered after I had some people telling me it was just okay. Given Illumination's track record for putting out stuff that's just alright, I went in expecting something mid and ended up finding it almost as good as the Sonic movies. All of the references were spot-on, all of the voice actor performances were great (especially Jack Black as Bowser), and Lumalee is my favorite intentionally annoying character in a kids film period. Story worked incredibly well for a video game movie too, don't get what the hubbub with Luigi being supposedly shafted was about, he was a BOSS during the climax with how he shielded Mario.

It wasn't completely free of kids film cliches, but to the people being too hard on it, especially critics, I have to say...COME ON. It's a video game movie brought to you by the makers of Minions and pointless Sing/The Secret Life of Pets sequels. Illumination's worst film? WUT. This is Illumination's best film by far, even better than Despicable Me in my eyes. At least I know for sure now that critics even having a lack of self-awareness of the point of the children's media they're reviewing isn't just a thing with the new My Little Pony. NOPE. This is just par for the course now. 

• Brohoof 2

I haven't watched this movie yet. From what I've seen and heard from people this movie seems to be really promising. So I'm excited to watch it :ticking:

On 2023-04-10 at 7:11 AM, Steve Piranha said:

There are animators who are definitely fans of Super Mario Bros Z :mlp_icwudt:

This takes me back xD

28 minutes ago, Megas said:

In regards to characters? Rosalina, Daisy and Wario, more of Pauline and a trip to Isle Delfino

Despite Lunalee’s presence, I don’t think we’ll see any Mario Galaxy adaptation until the third film at least :huh: 

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Megas said:

In regards to characters? Rosalina, Daisy and Wario, more of Pauline and a trip to Isle Delfino

Yeah, but I guess also in like what might you want from the movie itself, if that makes any sense.

I think Isle Delfino would be neat though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2023 at 12:20 AM, CloudMistDragon said:

It wasn't completely free of kids film cliches, but to the people being too hard on it, especially critics, I have to say...COME ON. It's a video game movie brought to you by the makers of Minions and pointless Sing/The Secret Life of Pets sequels. Illumination's worst film? WUT. This is Illumination's best film by far, even better than Despicable Me in my eyes. At least I know for sure now that critics even having a lack of self-awareness of the point of the children's media they're reviewing isn't just a thing with the new My Little Pony. NOPE. This is just par for the course now.

Mainstream critics lost me years ago, ever since The Last Jedi.