Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Apparently, we shouldn't get married until we're at least 25

RockinRarity

So... you're supposed to have life completely figured out within the first - roughly - 20% of your (assuming American) life expectancy? I don't really see it. Life isn't that simple that some precious little snowflake that's still in the midst of high school is going to have everything figured out, despite what he or she may think.

Maybe not your entire life, but you should have a general notion of where you want it to go by then, I'd hope.

It depends on how fast you mature. Some people do it faster than others, and I guess she considers 25 to be an average. But really, it's up to those who are getting married to decide for themselves.

Everyone has a different life and matures at a different time. I know 30 yr olds that aren't ready to be married and 20 yr olds that should.

My fiancée and I already work and go to school full-time (it's summer now though) and raise my sister and are completely independent of anyone.

We live together too and support bills etc. so why shouldn't we get married?

I wasn't dumb enough to stay in a controlling relationship, so that's not my fault.

With that being said a lot of girls do want to get married too young, because they are immature.

I see girls 'engaged' and still living at home.

This I don't agree with.

~

• Brohoof 1

Maybe not your entire life, but you should have a general notion of where you want it to go by then, I'd hope.

I know for sure that I didn't have my entire life figured out by the time I was 18. But you do have a point. I had some idea of where I was going in life, and that certainly solidified a few years down the road. I had my share of fun, but I tried being as responsible as I could and had the opportunity to live away from my parents for a couple years to see what it was like to live away from home. I know that helped a lot with the process.

It is possible for 18 year olds to have their lives figured out. Most 18 year olds don't, however. That's why the law isn't worded in a way that says that only 18 year olds can get married and everyone else is doomed to single life forever. Or, well, settling with cohabitation.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

25 is a nice number, being the divisible by 5 and a perfect square, but 24 has much more appeal to me. Being divisible by 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, and 12 makes it much cooler and factor friendly. :D

Oh wait, this is about marriage...

*goes to read all the posts*

Edited by Vinyl Pon3 Scratch
  • Brohoof 1

Honestly, I'm all for the drinking age thing, but that's because I want to drown my misery in alchohol.

But really, just because something is commonly agreed on does mean it is right. Take lemmings for example. They are the absolute epitome of the stupidity of conformity. They all go in a direction in a big herd, and they keep running until they fall off a cliff or drown. They have no cognizance for safety or well being, and will follow what all the others are doing until they all die. Now, that's not really the kind of model we want to follow, is it? Why should we continuously follow whatever is popular? Eventually, an idea goes south and it will crash and burn. But humankind keeps doing just this anyway, ignoring the consequences. Like lemmings.

Stupidity should not be encouraged, rewarded, or embraced. It's what causes ALL of humanities problems.

I just noticed you messed with my quot to read Amareica.

You sly dog.

(edited)

No, I believe that once you are 18 you should be allowed to do whatever you please, as long as it does not harm or impact some party that does not want part in it. So I am against this.

If you are required to be signed up to fight and die for your country by 18, you should be allowed to marry and make love to whoever you want at that age too.

Edited by Tom The Diamond
  • Brohoof 2

Celestia, I never realized how much I love the number 24. I'm willing to say it is my favorite number in the twenties!

Also, I agree with Gem-Knight Master Dia Tom, if you can sign up to serve your country, you should be able to marry.

Apparently having different opinion from the masses always guarantee a catfight in this community :P

In my opinion, you can't really measure an individual readiness toward marriage by their age alone. There's more to see like how many cash they earn and how well they take the responsibility in a household. Can't really judge a pony from their cutie mark.

It's kinda unfair to equate a hardworking 18 years old to a lazy buckhead 25 years old one. Saying the earlier can't do shit in marriage just because the latter fucked up really hard is just a sign of blatant nonchalantly. Then again, saying that everyone should be allowed to do everything just because they are old enough to held a gun is also foolish.

The article did suggest that everyone should wait a little bit longer to marry, but it doesn't mean she was trying to say that those below 25 are too childish to fuck marry someone. She just suggested that it's slightly better if both bride and groom wait a bit more just to see if such decision is a good one, or if they are ready or not. Marrying someone before you can support a family just because of 'true love' is truly stupid.

Then again, if the couple was mature enough, I'm pretty sure they won't mind to wait for another couple of years. Settle things up first, then get the ring and the baby.

• Brohoof 1

DUMBB!!!!! OMG, they really like pissing uss off...Like what if you love someone? My cousin got married a year ago and he was 18, my grandma got married at 17...like is it impossible to be with the ones we love? I also think its stupid that if your 18 and dating someone under 18, and have sex, its rape?? Like you both want it and they make it so unfair, im not interested in sex like a horny bitch, but like..it seems like this world dont want love....hmmmm

DUMBB!!!!! OMG, they really like pissing uss off...Like what if you love someone? My cousin got married a year ago and he was 18, my grandma got married at 17...like is it impossible to be with the ones we love? I also think its stupid that if your 18 and dating someone under 18, and have sex, its rape?? Like you both want it and they make it so unfair, im not interested in sex like a horny bitch, but like..it seems like this world dont want love....hmmmm

It's not considered statutory rape if both parties are close enough in age, I believe.

Statutory rape is a law used to protect minors from having sex with creepy older people. They want to make the punishment harsh for older people who take advantage of minors in that way. They didn't make that law to prevent people from being in love...

• Brohoof 1

It's not considered statutory rape if both parties are close enough in age, I believe.

Statutory rape is a law used to protect minors from having sex with creepy older people. They want to make the punishment harsh for older people who take advantage of minors in that way. They didn't make that law to prevent people from being in love...

Eh, its what people tell me, yes im 18 and dating a 16 year old and my mom was all like "well if you have sex, you will be in trouble, blablabla" and made a lecture about it...so i was all like "Huh..?" But I think marriage should be at least 16 and older

The article did suggest that everyone should wait a little bit longer to marry, but it doesn't mean she was trying to say that those below 25 are too childish to fuck marry someone. She just suggested that it's slightly better if both bride and groom wait a bit more just to see if such decision is a good one, or if they are ready or not. Marrying someone before you can support a family just because of 'true love' is truly stupid.

Then again, if the couple was mature enough, I'm pretty sure they won't mind to wait for another couple of years. Settle things up first, then get the ring and the baby.

I do agree with waiting, but she said that she was going out with the same guy for 5 years before they got married. That's a long time to be dating, IMO, and plenty of time to talk about marriage and how they were going to handle it. She didn't share if they ever talked about getting married before they were like, "We've been dating for forever so let's get married!" But she gave me the impression that they really didn't talk much about it at all.

It doesn't matter how long you date. If you spend 10 years dating each other and not one conversation about marriage comes up before he pops the question, that marriage will probably fail. A couple who consistently talks about marriage over the course of 2 years is more productive than the couple who just dates for a long time without talking about the next step (besides the wedding).

Eh, its what people tell me, yes im 18 and dating a 16 year old and my mom was all like "well if you have sex, you will be in trouble, blablabla" and made a lecture about it...so i was all like "Huh..?" But I think marriage should be at least 16 and older

16 and 17 year olds are allowed to marry with their parents' permission in the United States. In this day and age, though... I don't see very many responsible parents being OK with their teenagers getting married at such a young age.

You seem very happy with your current boyfriend, but waiting until you're both financially stable will benefit you more than you think. Sometimes, waiting is a blessing in disguise. You never want to rush into anything as important as marriage.

• Brohoof 1

A couple who consistently talks about marriage over the course of 2 years is more productive than the couple who just dates for a long time without talking about the next step (besides the wedding).

Damn right.

Age and time spent dating means nothing if you spent the entirety of it having fun (#YOLO)

• Brohoof 1

I think this varies place to place, but in the state of Virginia sex between a 16 year-old and 18 year-old is not jailbait if I remember correctly.

Damn right.

Age and time spent dating means nothing if you spent the entirety of it having fun (#YOLO)

Granted, you are supposed to have fun too, lol. But there should be a balance. ;)

(edited)

The problem would lie in that many young couples don't really think ahead of them and just live in the present thinking not of the repercussions. That's not to say all couples are like this but let's be honest, k'ay? In today's society many young people don't have as many responsibilities as most of our forefathers did when they were that age.

Hell, if they did many a people wouldn't be enjoying MTV's fine programming, no? But hey! congratulations if you can prove TV wrong. Just know that the odds are really against you and just blame those 16 year old couples that had to marry because they became pregnant.

Edited by SrFrog
  • Brohoof 1