Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

books What irrates you about books?

Reecejackox

Well with physical books it’s a hit or a miss on how damaged they are from shipping. Sometimes I’ve ordered books online and they look fine. Other times they’ve been beat up to death. Which is frustrating because you’ve spent money on this. You expect it to arrive in good shape.

Same thing in stores as well. I’ve passed on buying books I really wanted because the book is beat up looking. I’m not paying brand new price for a book that doesn’t look brand new. 

• 4 weeks later...

Finding room on my shelves for the physical books can be a problem. And I usually read while I’m lying down, with the book propped on my chest, so the big heavy books can be a bit cumbersome after a while. As for digital books, I don’t like meaningless buttons and features that mess up my reading experience. If I accidentally touch a button wrong it brings up some pointless feature that I can’t turn off. I just want to read the blasted book; I don’t need a bunch of bells and whistles!

It's hard to find the right posture to read a heavy book like an encyclopedia or long paperback. Holding it up becomes distracting over time with the weight, but hunching over a table isn't good either. I'd like one of those drafting tables with the angled surface.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

To mention some things:

• Books with small margins as it is difficult to write notes there.
  • Books with paper that is susceptible to smudging.
  • Books with printed text that can easily be erased.
  • Books without table of contents.
  • Books without justified text.
  • Hard cover books without its dust cover (if it originally had one).
On 2022-11-06 at 9:17 PM, Hat988 said:

It's hard to find the right posture to read a heavy book like an encyclopedia or long paperback. Holding it up becomes distracting over time with the weight, but hunching over a table isn't good either. I'd like one of those drafting tables with the angled surface.

Alternatively, book stands are quite useful. It is rather inconvenient for me to read books for a long period of time without them. Though I have had poorer quality books stands where the screws that keep the arms in place loosen with use.

Edited by Luna the Great of all the Russias

(Most of this applies to physical books)

I have to "break them in" when they are brand new! So annoying, having to flip every several pages until I reach the center to make sure that the book's binding doesn't get damaged. I just want to read it! It's worse the more pages the book has.

Also, I hate the odd and suspicious-looking substances that library books sometimes have in them. Like, why do people eat and drink food when reading a library book? They know someone else is going to see that stuff on it, right?!

Another thing is WHEN I LOSE MY PLACE in the book and can't remember what page or chapter I was on.

• 1 month later...

Romance. God I hate “boy meet girl” vice versa cliche. If I was expecting “romance”  I would’ve just picked up a “romance” genre book. It always ruin the mood for me every time I read fictional books. I don’t mind it if I’m reading classic literature ones because it’s not clingy for me. But that’s why I stopped reading fictional ones and read historical ones. Sometime mystery novels still if I’m confident that it doesn’t those cliche romance. And literature.