Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ace Analyst: Zipp - The MLP G5 True Main Protagonist

MasterCode

This guy's got a wit to him, I do enjoy his style of presentation even as I don't agree with him 100%. I think the reason Zipp feels more like "the main protagonist" now is because Sunny already completed a big part of her character arc in the movie and her being in the spotlight is more appropriate to the themes of mystery and suspense with her being a detective. I feel it's more natural for her to be unraveling what we don't know about the world as well as uncovering the subterfuge of a spy who's infiltrated their world instead of Sunny. 

• Brohoof 1

Zipp is the main protagonist for sure. She should have been the leader of the mane 5 instead of Sunny. Sunny doesn't really interest me all that much, while Zipp has my full focus and interest. Zipp is a better leader than Sunny is, in my opinion.

Zipp is getting character development to differentiate her as a pony from Rainbow Dash,(not a carbon copy) they are simultaneously breaking the "princess stereotype" with not only Zipps character being uninterested in being a Princess but kind of showing in Sunny that it is not always "literal princesses" that have "princessy" qualities, they are relatable in different ways and I do agree with Cloud that they have already succeeded in progressing Sunny through an entire character arc within the movie, as the show goes on screen time will balance out, I don't appreciate dumbing down the competence levels of the other ponies to highlight Zipps attention to detail, but as we are currently trying to solve a mystery it makes sense for her to be standing out a little more than the others, Sunny as a stand alone has been an easy sell since the movie, they want to get you attached to all of these characters and since there wasn't even a minute of ANG that didn't feature Sunny, Zipp and Pipp in particular needed more attention, especially Zipp having no songs of her own, appearing to mirror gen 4s rainbow dash so boldly..

Sunny is a godsend, comparing her to Twilight I don't like, when we are world's apart from being able to make that comparison, and yeah there are just a lot of little girls to instill with "unbridled confidence/optimism" and show that being sensitive to other people's situations is a good thing, caring about making these positive changes, she's emotional, zealous and irrational, it makes her more relatable to many than Twilight, I mean those that are REALISTIC with themselves, as Twilight is a Mary Sue with a heart of gold, conventional wisdom, book smarts, unrivaled magical ability, ",oh I have anxiety I'm just like Twilight" nah you're just like HALF the characters in FiM if it's circumstantial, Fluttershy, Starlight, and even Rainbow and Rarity express these sentiments "circumstantially"... 

I love Zipp I'm not taking anything away from her, I love seeing her on the case, but Sunny Starscout has got other things going on, she's the cutie, the heart, the poster girl, she's relatable for people with these big dreams of all ages, I think they are doing extra work for Zipp bc she was previously underdeveloped and IMO(Mind you this is just my opinion) has the most boring design of the Mane 5, they are marketing princess Zipp as her own brand, "the princess" is a disinterested athletic tomboy while the "princessy" Earth Pony who has no existing family and runs a slushie stand wants to change the world... It's about WHO they are appealing to, it makes sense to me that a lot of bronies would favor Zipp, they are the ones that feel most owed something by the writers....

Well that's interesting. However, it does seem like there's a lot of focus in the first two chapters on Zipp. Between the two chapters of Make Your Mark, we have learned a lot about Zipp, like her rebellious nature conflicting with being the heir, along with her desire to solve mysteries. It seems like Sunny's only focus is friendship.