Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general What's the worst thing about your job?

Dreambiscuit

Rude customers who demand everything goes their way even when our self-checkout machines are having problems and don't function the way they want them to. As if they know how our machines work internally 100% of the time! They have no idea how hard we workers work so that they can give us their business and we can give them our products.

If you ask me the saying "the customer is always right" is nonsense. if a customer flat out lies that they weren't stealing something despite video evidence to the contrary, would that automatically make them right? No, it makes them a liar and a shoplifter. And trust me, somebody actually broke the lock on our alcohol rack a few months ago during one of my shifts.

Whatever happened to the Golden rule? Treat others the way you want to be treated

• Brohoof 1

Drunk people. If you don't know your limits. Stay home or don't drink at all when on public. I hate to have to babysit adults. Sometimes I really wish they would ban alcohol. In Finnish language we have this saying "viina on viisasten juoma" which roughly translates to "liquor is the drink of the wise", meaning it's not for the idiots who can't control themselves

I could list couple more but mostly I like my job

• Brohoof 1

Razor thin budgets, leading to the use of very basic equipment, rough furnishings, DIY modifications and decades old machines in need of constant maintenance, complicating what should be easy work. 

The little plastic parts you find in medical equipment, ice cream machines, stuff at office max and even high speed aircraft? Yeah, it was all made in some dusty, greasy machines from the 1980s. 

• Brohoof 1

I can’t think of anything what’s the worst thing about my work since my job is just advertising  products. Except of course my boss, but we’re on a neutral stance now. I guess when costumers asked me to repeat after staring at me blankly as I explained the product, making me think that they’re “listening” but actually they weren’t. :bea: And when my boss expected me to push my sell harder when I don’t see the fucking why I need to when no one is gonna stop by to listen to me. Those are just some small pet peeves, other than that, my job just stinks overall.

• Brohoof 1

@Will Guide I absolutely agree! The term ‘The customer is always right’ may look great on paper or in theory, but in reality it’s too often an excuse customers use to be rude to workers who are already doing their best. Not everyone can wave a magic wand and make the world a perfect place, and bad customers need to grow up and understand this.

@Thankful Brony 42 Not being properly or fully trained to do a job has always been the worst part of starting new at any place of employment. I’ve always hated when employers give a ridiculously bare-bones briefing and then say, “Go to it!” and expect perfect performance, often getting snotty if someone has the audacity to ask a question or make a mistake. As for the pig kidneys, I’m patently unqualified to comment! :blink:

On 2022-11-04 at 9:47 AM, Fluttershutter said:

Jobs are glorified slavery.

@Fluttershutter Definitely! If they weren’t slavery they wouldn’t even be jobs, but hobbies. And let’s face it, few people are lucky enough to get paid for their hobbies. If they did there’d be no unemployment. 

@Lunaholic I’ve dealt with drunks both as coworkers and customers, and it’s true they make everyone’s job harder. Adults shouldn’t need a babysitter, especially in public.

@Denim&Venöm You can bet the people running these companies on a shoestring are probably pocketing huge paychecks, with bonuses for every corner they cut.

@TBD Bosses who push a hard-sell don’t seem to realize that it doesn’t work. Customers never respond to it, especially when they have the attention span of a child.

As for me, I have the thankless task of having to ‘check’ certain cast members before they go onstage. These are people that are required to maintain a certain appearance, so if their weight (too much or too little) goes outside our guidelines, I have to tell them so. If they have sunburn or skin blemishes that can’t be covered, I have to tell them they can’t work. It’s extremely awkward to be so personal to people I work closely with every day, especially since these people try very hard, and it’s the one part of my job I don’t ever want to do.

• Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, Dreambiscuit said:

As for me, I have the thankless task of having to ‘check’ certain cast members before they go onstage. These are people that are required to maintain a certain appearance, so if their weight (too much or too little) goes outside our guidelines, I have to tell them so. If they have sunburn or skin blemishes that can’t be covered, I have to tell them they can’t work. It’s extremely awkward to be so personal to people I work closely with every day, especially since these people try very hard, and it’s the one part of my job I don’t ever want to do 

At Disneyland? To think you might have been the one to check if I'm up to dress code had I managed to make it past training. I most certainly would have thanked you.

I may have wanted to work at Disneyland but my physical limitations would have made me a liability. Don't worry; I have a more practical job for me personally working at a smaller Walmart. Good commute, I know how to do my job. It's full time. It brings in a steady cash flow. In less than a month I'll be working for a whole year

• Brohoof 1

On 2022-11-06 at 2:32 AM, Will Guide said:

At Disneyland? To think you might have been the one to check if I'm up to dress code had I managed to make it past training. I most certainly would have thanked you.

I may have wanted to work at Disneyland but my physical limitations would have made me a liability. Don't worry; I have a more practical job for me personally working at a smaller Walmart. Good commute, I know how to do my job. It's full time. It brings in a steady cash flow. In less than a month I'll be working for a whole year

Happily, I only have to check cast members of one specific department and not everyone in general. So the job you were training for wouldn’t have involved me, but rather your immediate lead or supervisor (who I’m sure would appreciate being thanked for such a task!) In general, most cast members stick to their costuming and grooming guidelines, and Disneyland has no restrictions on weight or skin blemishes. My department is unique in that one aspect for continuity reasons.

I am glad you have a job you’re happy with. Disneyland can be fun but it’s not always practical as far as scheduling. And even at the best of times it can be grueling. As long as you have a steady paycheck, that’s a battle won.

It can get very boring when shelving is done, there’s not much to straighten or shelf read and nothing to do on the computer in back. It’s a library and on the small side so I can get so bored. 

Gosh, there are so many things to pick from, but the one that is the most impactful to my duties, is my employer telling clients to just come on down and drop their animals off, regardless of what's already been squeezed into an overbooked schedule, followed by one of three things. Him forgetting that he had the animal dropped off, escaping out the building so he doesn't have to work on it, or blatantly passing what should be his case, onto others.

The actual job itself is fine. The only real annoyances are customers who spam the comment field copying and pasting the same thing over and over again (hope that makes sense, to explain this in more detail would give away exactly what I do), so we have to process the same dang thing over and over and over and over again. Same goes for those people in mail who send the same thing over and over again, or the people who repeatedly make requests for the same thing and have been told time and time again we can't do that. Also, sloppy handwriting, incomplete addresses, etc. Also, those times I get put on phones. I'm certainly glad I got data entry instead of call center as a job. I'm in my happy place when I'm not interacting with people on phones. Lol.

But, all of those things are minor. It sounds like I have a lot of complaints, but these are all grains of sand compared to being in physical pain every single day at my last job. A desk job is paradise. I just get irritable over the smallest things - something I'm pretty sure over half a decade of working in stocking amplified in me. I wish I could just chill.

Feeling like I’m lesser than everybody else. Seeing others rise and prosper while I’m stuck in my late 20s investing so much to finally get my foot in the door to a better life, financially and as far as self-worth goes. It’s why I greatly wish I could be done .. I’m a caged bird, and I’m getting old.

Edited by DubWolf

On 2022-11-14 at 1:22 AM, SharpWit said:

Gosh, there are so many things to pick from, but the one that is the most impactful to my duties, is my employer telling clients to just come on down and drop their animals off, regardless of what's already been squeezed into an overbooked schedule, followed by one of three things. Him forgetting that he had the animal dropped off, escaping out the building so he doesn't have to work on it, or blatantly passing what should be his case, onto others.

I used to have a boss who did that too and it sucked! It’s easy for a supervisor to overbook business when he’s not the one who has to do the work. And when it starts getting hectic, the supervisor is usually the first one to vanish until the work is over and done.

My last job, was of course my annoying bosses and annoying co-workers and annoying customers, many bad memories. Also had busy and stress it get, culturies keep disappearing, either customers took them to their office, put them in the bin and left it on the table, I was a Kitchen porter in Insurance call centre carteen, and customers are lazy as it was self cleaning carteen dinner but people are arogants leave plates and culturies and rubbishs on the tables and don't clean the microwave. Many times think of quiting and being pissed off, but stay cos of earning money, also get week or two weeks off and taking few days off with Easter and Christmas. Now lost that job cos of f***ing covid, I only miss earning money and having holidays, thanks f***ing covid and China and stupid governament & fake news for scaring us and lock us down.

• Brohoof 1

Having to do my own taxes.

That's literally the only thing. Not exactly a bad thing considering it only takes several minutes if you have everything you need in front of you. Just one of those tasks where it feels like a minor annoyance. Same level as cleaning the toilet. Not particularly something you want to do, but has to be done regardless.

Belligerent and truculent customers, almost militant to the point of being injurious in an scurrilous way. I mispronounced a single word, and this grossly overweight lady at retail started treating me like a dislexic inbred freak, belittling and deriding my person with all manner of shameless libel. Which she was right about. But still. Very uncalled for.

And this is the reason I generally avoid social interaction. Especially when the self-hatred starts building up to the point I really want to hurt someone in a crippling fashion.

• 3 months later...

The worst thing about my last job was the manager. He didn’t come into the picture until the last 3 months I worked there. He was the reason why I resigned, as he was an entitled and mentally abusive jerk. I worked at this place for 3 years and planned on staying forever. If he had not come onto the scene and ruined everything, I would still be there happy.