Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S01:E36 - Take Flight in the Marestream

Ashen Pathfinder

Title: Take Flight in the Marestream
Release Date: November 17, 2022
Written By: Gretchen Mallorie
Synopsis: N/A

NOTE: Another compilation following the actual episode!

• Brohoof 3

Yeah now the plane has official Canon, it was Izzy's ambitious attempt at bringing everypony flight lol, it was alright, liked that we had a partner episode, I really liked when FiM did this it lets us explore the Dynamics of ponies individual friendships apart their group...

Sidenote: their magic worked a little bit like Sparkys there for a second lol, magical mechanical upgrade lol... "That isn't how this works, that's not how any of this works" lol

Edited by Uncle Bumper
  • Brohoof 1

I would say It was interesting, :ooh: their flying car had been falling in style and I thought it was kind of funny that their new car looked way different from that old thing.

• Brohoof 2

Izzy and Zipp team up? What an interesting pair. Even more interesting is how they're having this episode tie in with the upcoming holiday special, explaining how they got the magical aircraft. I'm sure everyone thought it was weird watching that Winter Wishday trailer and seeing Zipp abruptly becoming a pilot. I liked seeing Izzy beat Zipp to the punch with making her food into the aircraft's design before Zipp drew it and how they fit a reprise of Work Work Work in perfectly. 

33 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

Was this the first episode with only two characters? :lookup:

No, that was Lost in Translation. 

• Brohoof 1

The old rickety machine falling apart at the slightest touch joke has once again showed up, and I never get tired of seeing it happen. It's just such an iconic part of cartoon comedy and the timing that goes along with it. I also find it amusing that Izzy was perfectly fine falling to what could've been her apparent death before Zipp saved her.

• Brohoof 3

I thought this episode was a lot like when the student six tried to fix the tree of harmony. They didn't work together at first, but then when they did, the magic of friendship radically transformed what they were working on. I thought it was pretty good even if they copied a FIM episode.

Spoiler

At least we know where they got plane in the MYM Winter Wishday Special from. 

• Brohoof 1

LOL:laugh:

2989578.thumb.png.648d8d702a2bff8fe9f000b16169803a.png

I liked their dynamic and how they played off each other. Some great gags and comedic moments in the episode, like when that thing kept breaking or when they crash landed. 

Spoiler

That also explained from where that plane from the special came from and how it works.

Edited by Rushing cash

I like how they explained how they got the aircraft here. I liked seeing these two work together and I liked Izzy a lot in this episode. The way the magic works is quite interesting. The music really needs some work, though. The pop songs are a bit over-done in TYT, but I liked it. The aircraft looks very advanced by the looks of it.

• Brohoof 1

My introduction to the Marestream was from MYM, and...well, what disappointed me was that this all but confirmed that TYT and MYM are in two different continuities; both had the magic lantern transform Izzy's unicycled tramcar into the Marestream, but the circumstances were different.  It felt like they were the same continuity when things like the Crystal Brighthouse were shared between them, but now...

I think it would've been better if Zipp and Izzy had gotten the tramcar to fly without the lantern's help, and then the Marestream was introduced in MYM, though---MYM did have Izzy and Zipp saying they'd been working on the tramcar before the other characters knew about it.

• 6 months later...

So apparently the magical lantern now has the ability to turn old streetcars into flying RVs. The magic of G5 continues to make no sense. Also, I'm pretty sure this episode was completely retconned in MYM since the Winter Wishday special shows the Marestream being created for the first time. 

(edited)
3 hours ago, Landi said:

So apparently the magical lantern now has the ability to turn old streetcars into flying RVs. The magic of G5 continues to make no sense. Also, I'm pretty sure this episode was completely retconned in MYM since the Winter Wishday special shows the Marestream being created for the first time. 

It's magic. Remember the time in FiM when magic turned an inanimate object into a living animal? We've also known since the "retconning" of Dumpster Diving with Izzy's uni-cycling cart and lantern recreation that TYT and MYM have two separate continuities. 

Edited by CloudMistDragon

11 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

It's magic. Remember the time in FiM when magic turned an inanimate object into a living animal? We've also known since the "retconning" of Dumpster Diving with Izzy's uni-cycling cart and lantern recreation that TYT and MYM have two separate continuities. 

I agree that FiM didn't have the cleanest track record when it came to it's magic, but at least they still to try to have somewhat of a structure. I get the feeling that G5 doesn't care about creating any sort of structure or balance when it comes to their magic. I think that its important for fantasy worldbuilding to have a balanced magic system that can make sense to the audience, but being a typical kids show, that probably not very high on their list of priorities. At the end of the day, it isn't the biggest deal that the lantern can do whatever the writers call for it to do, but it does come off as lazy writing.