Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My idea for a future MLP fan project!

Nightfall Veilwing

As a part of my dream career, which is things from 2D and 3D animations, making my own movies and series, and a few other things, I would like to make an MLP fan movie(s)! :mlp_yeehaa:

I'm wanting this to be a 2-hour or 3-hour movie staring brony OCs. I would like for it to be done in CG, the quality being simular to the G5 movie, if not better. I also want it to have a good story, good voice acting, good, original music, etc.

And for what visuals, language, etc., will be in this, I'm not aiming for there to be swearing and SNFW visuals and whatnot left and right (this isn't an adult cartoon). No, I was thinking those things would be sprinkled here and and there. So, this would be either a PG or a PG-13 movie. And by "PG", I don't mean the modern version of PG, which basically means "Practically 'G'", I mean more like 80s PG. :yeahno:

For the themes and vibesm I was thinking it would be more along the lines of a Don Bluth movie (e.g. The Secret of NIHM) with the vibe of a Pixar movie (e.g. Turning Red).

Yeah, this'll take an entire team of creative bronies to pull this off. :adorkable:
Also, there's nothing wrong with making high-quality stuff that looks like it came from a professional studio, despite there being a low budget, if there's even a budget, for that matter. :P

So, what do you think of this ambicious fan project? :) I don't think the brony fandom has ever done something like this before, not that I'm aware of, anyway. :derp:

• Brohoof 2

@Millennium Shadow

Your thread has been moved to Stardom’s Creative Resources.

A very ambitious project. A movie that is longer than most commercial movies? There was a time when FiM was so popular these kind of projects were started daily, but not many could finish. I wish you good luck.

A very ambitious project indeed. I imagine a budget mlp fan project every now and then so I can kinda relate heh. 
It's a shame that even that there are so many barriers to making things happen. Hopefully something like this sticks with you 
and hopefully have the spark to make it :mlp_smug:

• Brohoof 1

@Whirlwind @Courageous Thunder Dash

I forgot to mention that, for the best results possible, everybody that'll be a part of this project (writers, musicians, animators, etc.), would have to be in a studio, in the same building.

The quality of things from the visuals to audio would vary if the people involed in this were using different equipment and software I mean, I wouldn't want a character(s) voice to be potato-quality, you know? :P

I want this movie to be as professionally done as possible, even if the budget is low, if not non-existant.

Edited by Millennium Shadow
  • Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, Millennium Shadow said:

@Whirlwind @Courageous Thunder Dash

I forgot to mention that, for the best results possible, everybody that'll be a part of this project (writers, musicians, animators, etc.), would have to be in a studio, in the same building.

The quality of things from the visuals to audio would vary if the people involed in this were using different equipment and software I mean, I wouldn't want a character(s) voice to be potato-quality, you know? :P

I want this movie to be as professionally done as possible, even if the budget is low, if not non-existant.

That's honestly a huge stretch...you've got animators in the fandom that can really deliver. This has a chance of breaking the bank if you really look at it...

Music: Orchestrated, scored, played by an orchestra

Animation: Beyond Adobe Flash

Editing

So many things...

1 minute ago, Stancet said:

The goal is ambitious. Do you have any experience in animation? 

No. :( I do wanna learn, but I need to buy a new computer with more RAM and processing power to fit my techonological needs for the software I'll be using.

My current computer--a computer that I've had for at least 5 years, BTW--only has 4GB of RAM and a processor speed of 1.6GHz. Neither is enough for what I want to do. :yeahno:

22 minutes ago, Courageous Thunder Dash said:

That's honestly a huge stretch...you've got animators in the fandom that can really deliver. This has a chance of breaking the bank if you really look at it...

Music: Orchestrated, scored, played by an orchestra

Animation: Beyond Adobe Flash

Editing

So many things...

For the 3D animation, I was wanting to use Maya and/or Blender. For the 2D animation, I was wanting to use Toon Boom Harmony and Adobe Animate (the later if there's a scene(s) that would use FiM's animation style).

I'll also need help with directing the VAs so they can act well and not be crap acting. Same deal with those who'll be singing in this movie.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my work. :adorkable:

I'm sure what I'm envisioning for this project is possible. :D

18 hours ago, Millennium Shadow said:

I was wanting to use Maya and/or Blender.

Blender can do everything today. Whole movies can be made, even in 2D. And it is free.

50 minutes ago, Splashee said:

Blender can do everything today. Whole movies can be made, even in 2D. And it is free.

So, is there a difference between Maya and Blender when it comes to results?

And is the "can do anything today" also apply to Windows when it comes to creative works? I hear that Macs are ideal for creative works, but I think Windows is at the point to where it ultimately comes down to personal preference on where you use a Mac or a PC for creative works, as well as whether you use Maya or Blender. :mlp_ooh:

This project does sound like a very good idea.

However, I recommend doing a short 5-10 minute project with all effort you expect the feature film to have, just as a proof of concept. Robert Rodriguez did it when he directed Sin City, and Mitchel Ancel when he created Rayman 2, and Denis Vileneuve when he directed Blade Runner/Dune. 

• Brohoof 1

51 minutes ago, Stancet said:

This project does sound like a very good idea.

However, I recommend doing a short 5-10 minute project with all effort you expect the feature film to have, just as a proof of concept. Robert Rodriguez did it when he directed Sin City, and Mitchel Ancel when he created Rayman 2, and Denis Vileneuve when he directed Blade Runner/Dune. 

Thanks. :D

I do have 2 simpler MLP projects in the works already. :grin:

I need to buy a new computer with more RAM and a better/faster processor before I can even start working on the more complex step. :adorkable:

3 hours ago, Millennium Shadow said:

So, is there a difference between Maya and Blender when it comes to results?

I have never used Maya because I didn't see a purpose of learning a commercial software when a free one is available and proven to work quite nicely.

Blender does have support for animation similar to Flash, making it suitable for making 2D and 3D movies, and has a lot of free tutorials online.

8 minutes ago, Splashee said:

I have never used Maya because I didn't see a purpose of learning a commercial software when a free one is available and proven to work quite nicely.

Blender does have support for animation similar to Flash, making it suitable for making 2D and 3D movies, and has a lot of free tutorials online.

I was gonna watch tutorials for all of the software I'm gonna use for my projects. :P

I did hear somewhere that Maya was standard for 3D animation for movies, but IDK if this is true or not. :adorkable:

• Brohoof 1