Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Is NeverEnding Story 1984 movie the inspiration for Final Fantasy games

SIgmaBETA

Think about it

- In the movie "hero is a child, childlike empress is a child" just like the games.
- There is mythological beasts, just like the games
- Themes around some deep complex lore destroying the world. Just like the games 

Now the only difference is the book had more a message on how addiction to books is bad as it takes a toll on Bastian getting sucked into the book. I guess FF creators couldnt say getting sucked into video games is bad due to losing your real memories. Would probably lose money on sales in that way. But the book had a more tragic elements to being sucked into that world basically

I kinda always get that vibe from looking at this video. I like Final Fantasy 2 video game mainly because it feels the closest to NeverEnding Story if it was done to a video game

• Brohoof 1

I have never played any Final Fantasy games. I even had to check up what platform Final Fantasy II was on. Sure, it could have drawn inspiration from that movie.

As for the movie, which hasn't age well for some reason (no one is talking about it, and no reboots, etc), has been a huge part of my childhood. And I actually read the original book not so many years ago. The movie is cutting a lot of things that are actually happening, especially in the real world.

• Brohoof 1

To be more presise. FF2 as in 1988 version. But i play FF2 on PS1. I am from Europe. I tend to not like any other FF games of old ones outside that one. Since i felt FF7 was more modern age FF games and isnt as hugely world sucking addicting as old FF games are. But i see the game like Tetris, i rarely play it, but its fun at times with grinding since i legit like the design and game itself