Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S01:E38 - Foal Food

Ashen Pathfinder

Title: Foal Food
Release Date: December 1, 2022
Written By: Jessica Silcock and Naomi Smith
Synopsis: N/A

NOTE: Another compilation following the actual episode!

• Brohoof 3

Well now we know that Zipp isn't the only one capable of flying the plane, hope they don't "over utilize" it in MyM just bc they have a convenient way to get around now, but it still brings up questions because it always seemed like they could get between the 3 pony capitals relatively quickly irregardless...

It was cute just not to eventful, can't expect that much from an episode completely about baking cookies lol.. just that I nostalgia can make anything taste great lol

I feel so sorry for Sunny in this one. She has to endure so much in order to learn how exactly to bake everyone else's favourite cookies, but at the same time, it's hilarious as to what kind of procedures she has to follow. Also, her attempting to write down what to do is typical for someone like her. She's a lot more like Twilight was than she even realizes. Lastly... Zipp now has competition with Sunny on two fronts: piloting their plane, and being sneaky.

• Brohoof 3

So it's confirmed that ghosts exist in G5 through cookies? Fantastic. I did get a little weary of the fart noise gag with the dough, but that gag of ghosts actually coming out of the cookies is going to stick with me. My favorite part though was when the cookies looked so wrong yet they actually ended up tasting as good as the rest of the Mane 5 remembered them anyway. A very good holiday episode for kicking off December. 

• Brohoof 2

This was actually a really good one.  There's a lot to be said about how the 5 minute run time limits the types of stories the series can have and how they can feel rushed and not end in a very satisfying way.  However I feel this episode managed to use its short run time quite effectively.   It honed in one simple but specific conflict and because of this it had ample time to cover it and have an actual conclusion.  I also found the conflict to be quite relatable.  Trying to get everything ready for the holidays and make everything can be very stressful and I feel that this episode was able to convey that through Sunny's experiences quite well.  Besides that I rather liked the song, and overall I feel this episode had a good amount of Christmas vibes to feel appropriately festive for what it is.  

I definitely enjoyed this episode.

The sound mixing in this was awful, and what on earth was that song montage pacing where it looks like she's in three places at once?

Cute message, extremely poor execution (And Sunny poisoning her friends and causing their life to flash before their eyes was a rather morbid note for a holiday episode, don't you think? ;))

Have fun with that dental bill, Sunny.

This one is alright for me.  I do kind of like the whole montage of Sunny mastering the art of making cookies for her friends, and it doesn't really matter here that Sunny is a bland pony, as the cookie making arc just kind of takes over the need for much character on her part.  Grandma Figgy is probably the best character in this short (I rank her pretty high in the actual holiday special too).  I do however feel that the background music clashes with the dialogue when there is any, and get the sense the show staff were unsure whether they wanted a straight-up montage (where some mediocre background music would have flourished without consequence), or a series of dialogue scenes, so they kind of just settled on doing a bit of both.  I do kind of like the format of switching back and forth between events in the different locations though, as I think it works better here than a linear presentation would have.  

• Brohoof 1

I found the title misleading.

Spoiler

thought the special would be about Sparky starting to eat gems.

I liked how special showed Sunny really struggling with her people-pleaser side, and how her actions ended up paying off.

I also liked the nostalgia moment Hitch, Izzy, Zipp, and Pipp had. I do wish that Sunny had her own nostalgia flashback.

If ghosts are canon in G5, that would bring some more credibility to the unicorns' superstitions, and it would open up a lot of possibilities.

Edited by Rosy Moonlight
  • Brohoof 2

9 hours ago, Rosy Moonlight said:

I found the title misleading.

Hide contents

thought the special would be about Sparky starting to eat gems.

I liked how special showed Sunny really struggling with her people-pleaser side, and how her actions ended up paying off.

I also liked the nostalgia moment Hitch, Izzy, Zipp, and Pipp had. I do wish that Sunny had her own nostalgia flashback.

If ghosts are canon in G5, that would bring some more credibility to the unicorns' superstitions, and it would open up a lot of possibilities.

Well we saw in the new comic they are advertising for that the ponies are indeed using a Ouija Board, I would also love this aspect to be explored maybe to no avail? Maybe to communing with Argyle? Maybe with the Mane 6? Idk but it does seem like Hasbro is gonna "lean in" on this again potentially and I of course want to see it lol

• Brohoof 1

Well I thought it was nice how Sunny was trying to learn about the other pony's cultures and traditions. I did think that the way she tried to write them down into a recipe did remind me of Twilight. Also, it seems like anypony can fly the Marestream now. Hopefully they don't overuse it. I thought the song and the dialogue overlapping sounded really messy and could have been executed better. I wonder what these cake ghosts are... Though it seems unlikely that they will actually answer them. I mean, it would make sense that the other unicorns are superstitious, but I thought Izzy wasn't? 

• Brohoof 1

I thought this was a pretty typical episode in terms of quality:  well-timed humor, character-driven plots, and a good payoff at the end.

Though I have to say, the shout-outs to G-4 plots are coming in thick and heavy:  Sunny infiltrating the palace is a lot like Twilight and Pinkie and Spike trying to get into the royal library, and Sunny breaking a tooth on the cookies reminded me of Applebloom falling and chipping a tooth in...I think Season 2, it was?

This was another really awesome episode with a few funny moments and a very heartwarming scene at the end of the episode.

The funniest part was Sunny breaking into Zephyr Heights to steal a secret recipe and she never mentioned that she did this to Zipp or Pipp.

And the end of the episode where all of her friends ate the not so good looking cookies, but still enjoyed them and brought back memories of them being little… I thought that was really heartwarming!