Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Lauren Faust says Sparity was never going to happen.

CastletonSnob

It's also worth noting that Spike and Rarity are two different creatures. Spike is a dragon, and Rarity is a unicorn. Two creatures can love each-other, but not to the point where one of them has a crush on the other one.

Also, I hate talking about this kind of thing, and trust me that I really do, but crossing two different animals makes no sense, and it won't work. My biology teacher said that there was an experiment many years ago, where scientists tried crossing a cow with a horse, and it didn't work. This showed that crossing two different animals won't work. This is why a dragon and a unicorn shouldn't get to the point where they will try to give birth to a child.

This isn't even the only case in the show where two different creatures had a crush on each-other. There is also another case: Discord and Fluttershy. Discord is a draconequus, and Fluttershy is a pegasus. It wouldn't make sense for them to give birth to a child.

Also, I really wanna stop talking about this kind of thing. It doesn't suit me.

• Brohoof 1

That's all it ever felt and all it ever should have been

They dragged this thing out for way too long. Should have dropped it after S3, or at the *very least* S5. I was very annoyed they kept paying lip service all the way into S9, including Best Gift Ever and the finale and clip show, even after having an episode where he was supposedly over her in S9

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 3

Spike is actually a "baby". Though, a baby is a child, the main issue is how Spike was constantly treated as a "help", a butler, a child worker, an master piano player, a librarian, and a potential love interest for a grown up pony.

At one point, he was considered too young to be home alone, or to baby sit animals.

And at the very end of FiM, he finally got his wings, making that he was now a teenager? Or maybe a young child?

• Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, LCpony417 said:

It's also worth noting that Spike and Rarity are two different creatures. Spike is a dragon, and Rarity is a unicorn. Two creatures can love each-other, but not to the point where one of them has a crush on the other one.

Also, I hate talking about this kind of thing, and trust me that I really do, but crossing two different animals makes no sense, and it won't work. My biology teacher said that there was an experiment many years ago, where scientists tried crossing a cow with a horse, and it didn't work. This showed that crossing two different animals won't work. This is why a dragon and a unicorn shouldn't get to the point where they will try to give birth to a child.

This isn't even the only case in the show where two different creatures had a crush on each-other. There is also another case: Discord and Fluttershy. Discord is a draconequus, and Fluttershy is a pegasus. It wouldn't make sense for them to give birth to a child.

Playing devils advocate, FiM takes place in a world of magic as well as some loose physics and biology. It also has mythological creatures who are themselves a hybrid of two or more other species. They also seriously imply that Yona and Sandbar are a couple in the final episode. From a fantasy perspective, two different species would have some literary, in-universe, and mythological merit. 

• Brohoof 3

5 minutes ago, Mayonnaise said:

Playing devils advocate, FiM takes place in a world of magic as well as some loose physics and biology. It also has mythological creatures who are themselves a hybrid of two or more other species. They also seriously imply that Yona and Sandbar are a couple in the final episode. From a fantasy perspective, two different species would have some literary, in-universe, and mythological merit.

Well yeah, you could say that genetics and stuff work differently in the pony world, since that world has a lot of different properties from our world. And this way, you could also say that there is nothing wrong with crossing a pony with another creature. But that doesn't look right for me. I like to think that crossing and other related stuff work the same way in the pony world as it does in the real world.

So, yeah!

3 hours ago, LCpony417 said:

Its like, how do you suppose hippogriffs, or Griffons ever came to be?? Or these chimera species? Even if alchemy dawned their creation the two species that bred obviously had mutable genetics obviously meaning there is the capability or tendency for sexual attraction...

4 minutes ago, J.J said:

Its like, how do you suppose hippogriffs, or Griffons ever came to be?? Or these chimera species? Even if alchemy dawned their creation the two species that bred obviously had mutable genetics obviously meaning there is the capability or tendency for sexual attraction...

You know? I never thought about that! In fact, this might also be how Discord came to be! Maybe too many different creatures crossed throughout different generations, and at some point, the result was a creature whose body is made up of organs from many different creatures.

With this in mind, we can also say that crossing too many creatures throughout generations (if crossing two different creatures works) leads into a draconequus. And depending on what creatures you crossed, the draconequus will look different.

Good point! I never thought about how some of the MLP creatures (including hippogriffs, griffons, bugbears, cockatrices, manticores etc.) even came to be.

• Brohoof 1

I don’t know why Lauren is still addressing this.  She said this before and she’s had nothing to do with the show since season 2 or whenever.  

"Don't let me stop you!" 

Not trying to diss her for being nice, but I'm pretty sure most people had already figured out at this point that Sparity was never intended to start. It's an adolescent dude of a different species and a grown woman. "Spike, I'm too old for you and our children would be hideous freaks!". Just because a ship is a stretch of what's plausible, sometimes a stretch and beyond of what's plausible, doesn't mean people stop supporting it. Just look at how Mordecai from Regular Show and Twilight are still being shipped together. 

I wonder why she's saying this even after the show has ended. There's probably not going to be a G5 episode that references Sparity or something, so why mention it? I'll just assume that some fan asked her about it so she deicided to send out a Tweet. :huh:

On 2022-12-03 at 1:18 PM, Jeric said:

Where does it imply Yona and Sandbar? I’m gonna need to go rewatch.

2 hours ago, Gale Wind said:

Where does it imply Yona and Sandbar? I’m gonna need to go rewatch.

Oh my dude Sandbar is clearly a man of culture I see what MLP was doing there :arethosehands:, think it might be "She's all Yak" but there are other moments where they express this closeness or portray them together 

42 minutes ago, Gale Wind said:

Oh ok that explains it.I did see the finale song but the rest I’m not quite to yet. Still on s6.

Honestly, I'm gonna be real, I didnt like Sandbar pretty much UNTIL that episode, made me establish a whole new respect for the dude, like I thought at first he was just "generic pony friend of little substance made to represent the ponies in friendship as prop for the other creatures of Equestria"...

Then I see his BBW affliction and I really thought about him long and hard, his temperament, dudes got some love. I respect him more after that episode.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

I see it that way too in the present storyline tbh, I had my Sparity phase years ago thanks to some comics that had interesting concepts put into the table, but at the end of the day, I always saw it as a childish crush. And I am glad Lauren had that in mind as well.

Plus, I consider Fluttercord to be the superior version with the same-ish concept haha

• Brohoof 1