Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you get a tattoo based on a franchise?

Gaines

I have two Pokemon tattoos, a Lena tattoo from DuckTales, Applejack tattooed and the Quake symbol lol... I'm getting Batgirl tattooed this month to 

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, J.J said:

I have two Pokemon tattoos, a Lena tattoo from DuckTales, Applejack tattooed and the Quake symbol lol... I'm getting Batgirl tattooed this month to 

You a fan of the Quake games?  That's rarely something I here.  You ever played Myst?  I look forward to your Batgirl tattoo:oh_golly:  

3 minutes ago, ZiggWheelsManning said:

You a fan of the Quake games?  That's rarely something I here.  You ever played Myst?  I look forward to your Batgirl tattoo:oh_golly:  

me to, im getting Babs, on one arm and Batgirl on the other lol, and my favorite is Quake 3 Arena

Moments ago, ZiggWheelsManning said:

Very surprised.  That caught me off guard.  

Yeah i love her design in costume and out in her DC Superhero Girls render

Never.

Even if a few of the things I like have been with me for my entire life (basically, counting things created after I was born), it is still too forced to tattoo it onto my body "for life".

@Gaines

Since you are talking about media here, your thread has been moved to Media Discussion.

• Brohoof 1

It’s taken me 20 years to decide on a tattoo. At no time have I personally considered one based off an IP. For me a tattoo is a very personal statement about yourself, and for me it would be too easy to get a Star Wars one. 

18 hours ago, Gaines said:

Specifically a media franchise, like from a game/show/film/book OTHER THAN MLP
If you already have one, what is it and/or would you want any more? :fluttershy:

Heheheh, I technically have two. The first one on my left shoulder is a VERY loose reference mind you, since it's not an image that most people associate with this franchise.

6f2cfac7914791dc7bfbcdbcd5e45cae.jpg

This is a crest from the Halo franchise associated with New Mombasa. This was one of the few images I could find that I could use here and isn't a perfect representation of the tattoo I have; mine is in an actual crest and has the words "Finish the Fight" written above it. Which is both a Halo 3 reference but also a personal creed, and something I got before my senior year of undergrad as motivation.

My second tattoo is something both my wife and I got based on a franchise we love, Fairy Tail. It's just the Fairy Tail emblem, but we got it after our wedding as a symbol of our ties together, seeing as the main gist of the Fairy Tail guild is that they're more a family of misfits than just a guild.

Fairy_tail_logo.jpg

This is more or less what mine looks like and I got it on the right side of my chest. I'd love to get more tattoos in the future, and, as long as they have personal connection to me, I won't hesitate to get ones based on franchises. In fact, the next one I could most easily see getting is based on a shot from one of my favorite anime of all time, Violet Evergarden.

BUT, I must stress this and cannot stress it enough... make sure, whatever tattoo you get, that you're getting it for a reason that's meaningful to you. That doesn't mean it has to be deep or super emotional, tattoos can be fun and playful. But if you're just getting the tattoo because you think it looks cool, and not because it'll hold any significant meaning to YOU, it's probably a waste of time and money. This is your body and a tattoo in my mind instantly becomes a part of your story of you; that's something that should matter to you, even if most people won't see it depending on where it's at.

2 minutes ago, Batbrony said:

Heheheh, I technically have two. The first one on my left shoulder is a VERY loose reference mind you, since it's not an image that most people associate with this franchise.

6f2cfac7914791dc7bfbcdbcd5e45cae.jpg

This is a crest from the Halo franchise associated with New Mombasa. This was one of the few images I could find that I could use here and isn't a perfect representation of the tattoo I have; mine is in an actual crest and has the words "Finish the Fight" written above it. Which is both a Halo 3 reference but also a personal creed, and something I got before my senior year of undergrad as motivation.

My second tattoo is something both my wife and I got based on a franchise we love, Fairy Tail. It's just the Fairy Tail emblem, but we got it after our wedding as a symbol of our ties together, seeing as the main gist of the Fairy Tail guild is that they're more a family of misfits than just a guild.

Fairy_tail_logo.jpg

This is more or less what mine looks like and I got it on the right side of my chest. I'd love to get more tattoos in the future, and, as long as they have personal connection to me, I won't hesitate to get ones based on franchises. In fact, the next one I could most easily see getting is based on a shot from one of my favorite anime of all time, Violet Evergarden.

BUT, I must stress this and cannot stress it enough... make sure, whatever tattoo you get, that you're getting it for a reason that's meaningful to you. That doesn't mean it has to be deep or super emotional, tattoos can be fun and playful. But if you're just getting the tattoo because you think it looks cool, and not because it'll hold any significant meaning to YOU, it's probably a waste of time and money. This is your body and a tattoo in my mind instantly becomes a part of your story of you; that's something that should matter to you, even if most people won't see it depending on where it's at.

Yessz I also would love to have a Fairy tail symbol!!! Love seeing other Fairy Tail fans 

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

It’s taken me 20 years to decide on a tattoo. At no time have I personally considered one based off an IP. For me a tattoo is a very personal statement about yourself, and for me it would be too easy to get a Star Wars one. 

I disagree in this respect (though I can understand if IP based tattoos don't feel as meaningful to other people); if the meaning and importance is there FOR YOU, I think IP based tattoos can be very personal (see my post above). The next one I'd like to get at some point is based off of this shot from the final Violet Evergarden movie, and holds very personal meaning to me:

MV5BY2RkNjM0ZTQtYjg3NS00ZDU3LTk1NmItYjA3

As long as the PERSONAL statement is there in the tattoo, IP based or not, that's what I think matters. But again, I also know that that is going to vary from person to person, and some people may feel that it needs to be more original than that in order to hold that personal value for them.

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Pentium100 said:

No. While some kind of tattoo may look cool, I am not going to spend a lot of money and endure pain just for appearance.

And that's totally valid, for sure. The one thing I'd caution you on in terms of your thoughts on tattoos is that, while some people may get tattoos for their aesthetic look alone, for most in my experience, it's more about getting something that holds personal value or makes a very personal statement for them. That doesn't even mean it's a SAD one alone, but just something important about themselves that they want to capture in this way. That sort of meaning should not be disregarded, I don't think, at least in evaluating the value and worth of tattoos.

But again, it is NOT a bad thing not to want to get tattoos for yourself either, believe me.

2 minutes ago, Batbrony said:

That sort of meaning should not be disregarded, I don't think, at least in evaluating the value and worth of tattoos

I am not against tattoos in general. Some tattoos look good, some don't (in my opinion), but as long as the person likes it, it's good. 

I do not see a reason to get one myself though.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Pentium100 said:

I am not against tattoos in general. Some tattoos look good, some don't (in my opinion), but as long as the person likes it, it's good. 

I do not see a reason to get one myself though.

Oh understood, perfectly, from your original post I wasn't sure if you were speaking just for yourself or if that was your general feeling about tattoos on others as well. But thank you for clarifying.