Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your Pros and Cons of being a Brony?

Gaines

Or "Fan of MLP" if you don't like the word "Brony" :please:
My pros: FiM had influence on my current art style, and I meet other cool artists through the fandom
My cons: I still feel a bit embarrassed wearing MLP merch in public..

• Brohoof 4

13 minutes ago, Gaines said:

Or "Fan of MLP" if you don't like the word "Brony" :please:
My pros: FiM had influence on my current art style, and I meet other cool artists through the fandom
My cons: I still feel a bit embarrassed wearing MLP merch in public..

Man that's crazy! Need that shocked reaction, I loved showing off my MLP pajama pants anywhere I went lol... I loved them, was literally thinking about getting a other pair today.. 

Pros: the material it introduces you to, the content the perspective, the creative outlet and I love art...

Cons: the people are pretty inauthentic and exclusive and sometimes just not what they make themselves out to be...

Now those are just the basic but with me I get to rambling and eventually I end up describing what I love about a specific episode, deviate from the entire point of the post lol

• Brohoof 2

7 hours ago, Merry Brony 42 said:

Pro: It is good to see differnt types of people who like cartoons.

Cons: BronyCon is best con! :yay:

If they ever do a "reunion Bronycon" I'd sure as hell go, I went to two, and the concerts were by far the greatest part of the experience

• Brohoof 1

Pro:

I became a member of MLP Forums and made a lot of AMAZING friends 

like,@Kyoshi who inspired me to make signatures and profile banners which, is something I get a lot of enjoyment from. 

Con: I miss my friends a lot when they leave MLP Forums. 

• Brohoof 2

Pro: Wonderful music and elements that make for fantastic story telling.

Con: The substitution of everybody for every pony amd hand for hoof in lyrics throws people off so I can't really play such music out loud without getting looks. The same somewhat applies to stories.

Spoiler

I love exploring the differing race and species relations from the show, but the ability to fly doesn't translate well for human characters regarding physcial priveledges and fight scenes, so adjusting the story for a wider audience can become quite difficult.

• Brohoof 2

Ironic that you say that @Sparklefan1234, if I didn't discover FiM and joined these forums, I likely would never have had the inspiration to begin working with graphics and all of that. FiM and its fandom are like a long chain of inspirations. :yay: Plus I met all of you here, many of whom are more family to me than my actual family. On top of all of THAT, being in the fandom helped me discover my sexuality fully, thanks to talking with other bronies and I met my boyfriend here, @NothingIsEverything Needless to say, being in the fandom has certainly introduced a world of positives to my life. :BrightMacContent:

What about negatives though? Really, the only major one was my own self pressuring and comparing myself to others in the fandom waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much. Granted that was always a problem of mine but it was quadrupled down upon in my mind due to a sense of "needing to contribute" and all that dumb jazz. Luckily I don't feel that nearly as much as before. It will always be part of my psyche in all aspects of life but it is nowhere near what the peak was like. 

• Brohoof 5

13 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

FiM and its fandom are like a long chain of inspirations.

so much this! This was the first time I realised "I don't just like this show... I *like* like this show!". Before MLP I had never had any desire to write/read fanfic or been a 'fan' (as opposed to someone who enjoys the content alongside other things) of anything where that was applicable (I was briefly a Morrissey fan) But with MLP, I suddenly had this desire to draw (that was short-lived as I simply cannot do it) write collect cards, do RP etc :) 

anyway this isn't a fandom praise thread, it's pros and cons.

PRO: like Kyoshi said, the chain of inspiration :3 

and relatedly, pony fans tend to welcome a lot of stuff and some of them have been the sweetest people (you guys know who you are!) which makes me want to share

and more relatedly, pony fans have made many genuinely amazing things and organised great events which I enjoy seeing, reading and joining

CON:

bronies' reputation (earned to some extent by them and also by the MLP brand) makes me hesitate to talk about ponies with neutral people (perhaps not as much hesitation as I should have though D: )

there are no bronies I know in the UK, so I only really interact with you all online. I miss the days when we had a local pony crew in Newcastle :( 

Pros:

- I made a buttload of friends, long and short term, that helped me through a lot I was dealing with for the many years I spent within the fandom.

-Led to me engaging in hobbies I either didn't like before or didn't consider before becoming a brony, like art, writing, and singing.

-The Doctor Whooves and Assistant series on Youtube back in the day led to me binging Doctor Who in 2012-2013. That was a massive treat since my family had just gotten cable again (I only watched MLP online and at my friend's place) and I got to catch new episodes weekly, filled with excitement.

-I got to BLOW PEOPLE THE **** OUT on Call of Duty/other games with MLP emblems and stuff, the salt was unmatched.

-Endless entertainment, any hour of the day I could be engaged in a discussion, immersed in pony music or videos, reading fics etc.

-Plot.

Cons:

-Bullying, a lot of it was tongue-in-cheek but some of it was pretty spiteful especially irl.

-I could honestly say pony was a little too addicting for me. I spent a lot of late nights browsing pony threads or talking to people when I should've been studying, working on a project, or even just getting sleep for school. It's possible to argue that time would just be filled with something else if not pony, of course.

-My mom HATED discovering that I liked the show and mentioned numerous times how much she was against me watching it. Telling me to turn it off and stuff. It made me feel very alienated at home. I remember seeing other teenagers having parents that were cool enough to get them a pony themed cake and stuff for their birthdays, and I wanted the same. But that idea was completely trampled of course. It's sadder that even my friend's parents were more nonchalant or even friendly about me liking it. I discussed and watched it with some of my friends' siblings too.

-It no doubt turned off a lot of people I was interested in finding out that I liked My Little Pony.

-I did not hide the fact that I was a fan until years after joining the fandom... Which I do regret. I was very obsessed with being okay with being different and unafraid of being into things that others found weird or unusual. Probably to a fault. My interest in pony outright demolished some friendships at worst, and saw me part ways with friends until a later time (where I was less outwardly involved with pony) at best.

Overall, I can't say I'd take it all back just to avoid the cons. Maybe make some small adjustments and not be so hardheaded and set in my young ways.

Edited by Zatchiel
  • Brohoof 2