Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP: FiM Comic/Show Canon Contradictions Explained in Official IDW Comic

Misty Shadow

It finally happened, they've offered an in-universe explanation for why the canon of the comics contradicts the canon of the show. The explanation, as can be seen below, is that the comics are written by Spike and they're his occasionally off documentation of events in Equestria. 

full.jpg

full.jpg

Obviously, there have been mixed responses to this explanation, particularly in regards to the mockery of lore "accuracy"-obsessed fans (I wonder what the IDW team thinks of G5 critics, lmao), but I'm pleasantly stunned that they actually offered an explanation for the contradictions in the continuity at all. That's more than what could be said for something like The Simpsons. I have the oddest feelings about Spike being a secret King Sombra fanboy though. He's the Crystal Empire's hero and he wanted to see Sombra be redeemed more than anyone else, wow. :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 3

If only they could have made the comics be what was seen on screen, that way, there wouldn't have needed to be any contradictions - for there wouldn't be any. I believe that is a better conclusion to Sombra's story rather than him being atomized in a terribly written episode, for example (Chrysalis coming from a rotting log is just dumb though). This is at the very least amusing, though.

• Brohoof 1

On 2022-12-24 at 10:51 PM, Props ValRoa said:

I believe that is a better conclusion to Sombra's story rather than him being atomized in a terribly written episode, for example

Not to mention a more-compelling and -consistent personality, and a revival that actually features the broken horn.

Edited by Castle Bleck
  • Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, Castle Bleck said:

Not to mention a more-compelling and -consistent personality, and a revival that actually features the broken horn.

I take every chance to dunk on what we got in the show. It was terribly written. The season finale for 9 was terrible, Sombra's return in that episode was terrible. I cannot accept any of that as canon. 

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
On 2022-12-25 at 9:51 AM, Props ValRoa said:

I take every chance to dunk on what we got in the show. It was terribly written. The season finale for 9 was terrible, Sombra's return in that episode was terrible. I cannot accept any of that as canon. 

I would’ve preferred it actually being Grogar yeah. But it wasn’t all terrible. 

• Brohoof 1

Moments ago, Gale Wind said:

I would’ve preferred it actually being Grogar yeah. But it wasn’t all terrible. 

For me it was completely terrible, and ruined the show finale for me. G4 was a missed opportunity in many regards. Terrible writing ruined it in the end. 

I let Spike handle this unfortunate brainfart, it's on you buddy. I didn't know that the comics were some kind of autobiography of everything that happened so far, and transformers are real in universe.

• 3 months later...
On 2023-01-31 at 3:35 PM, RDDash said:

I let Spike handle this unfortunate brainfart, it's on you buddy. I didn't know that the comics were some kind of autobiography of everything that happened so far, and transformers are real in universe.

G5 horses probably stumbled upon remains of Transformers merch and lore, and adapted it to a pony field version:fluttershy:

• 8 months later...
(edited)

Just accept that there are three kinds of kelpies: 1) Equestrian Kelpies that live in lakes and rivers; 2) Sea Kelpies in the underwater city of Coltlantis; and 3) the Kelpies of Farasi. I've worked out homebrews for Tails of Equestria and for Renegade's My Little Pony Roleplaying Game (although the latter covers Equestrian Kelpies in the Dark Skies Over Equestria expansion). None of the kelpies appear in animation anyway. 

We can always say that comics stories that don't fit canon take place in an alternate universe! 

Edited by Otaku-sempai