Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S01:E42 - Firework-ing Together

Ashen Pathfinder

Title: Firework-ing Together
Release Date: December 29, 2022
Written By: Alex Collier
Synopsis: N/A

NOTE: Another compilation following the actual episode!

• Brohoof 3

Concept was interesting. Two fillies get lost and they have to find them. But the execution could have been done better. The "lets work together" message is getting quite dry at this point. Sunny's character in TYT is the least interesting, and the most cliche. A lot of things didn't make sense, and the way they all went all disorganized about how to find the fillies was really strange to me. Cutie mark flashlights is...odd? Where did that come from?

The fillies do interest me...and so do these two. It's the subtle things in the background that interest me the most with this. 

SPOILER_image.png

• Brohoof 3

Kind of an adventure episode.  Not bad, though it feels like magic should've quit working while they were arguing.  You could make the case that it was going haywire instead of ceasing to function given the chaos of the situation, though.

It feels like FiM had better consistency about what magic could and couldn't do than G-5 does.

• Brohoof 4

This one felt like Sunny-Day Dinners and On Your Cutie Marks mixed into one episode. I enjoyed "Dizzy Izzy", the laughably environment-unfriendly way the ponies were trying to find the Pippsqueaks, and Sparky actually being helpful by calming every pony down. Okay fun, even as their cutie marks abruptly working like flashlights for the sky was weird. 

16 minutes ago, HereComesTom said:

Kind of an adventure episode.  Not bad, though it feels like magic should've quit working while they were arguing.  You could make the case that it was going haywire instead of ceasing to function given the chaos of the situation, though.

It feels like FiM had better consistency about what magic could and couldn't do than G-5 does.

It depends on the intensity of the discord. And nope, FiM actually broke its rules on magic as early as Season 1. Twilight says this in Feeling Pinkie Keen... 

"Magic is something you study and practice. It only happens when you decide to do it, and it's meant to make something specific that you choose to happen, happen."

Despite the fact that she did things out of her control with magic in The Cutie Mark Chronicles. Bridle Gossip, again, S1, also ridicules the existence of curses despite curses being confirmed to be real at the beginning of Season 3. 

• Brohoof 1

It was ok, I guess. Like "all pony species have to work together" is an ok message, but I think it could have been executed better. Also, the fact that Sunny had to use her alicorn form to get everypony to listen is getting old. And everypony can just cast their cutie marks like flashlights into the sky? What is the logic behind magic in this world? The sky colors were nice though.

• Brohoof 2

I think this one is ok.  There really ought to be more defined rules on how magic works in this world as it seems as though it's something that anypony can just use whenever to serve whatever purpose the story needs, and that includes Sunny's Alicorn form.  I suppose that would require better writing than can be expected for this series though, so that's probably a tall order.  

On 2022-12-29 at 5:37 PM, HereComesTom said:

FiM didn't have any defined rules per se, but it always felt like there were limitations regardless, and it wasn't just a convenient deus ex machina that instantly solved problems.  It's likely that due to the five minute runtime, any and all measures to solve problems in that time frame are employed, but the magic system isn't that much better in the Netflix series IMHO.  

• Brohoof 3