Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you guys think about G5 as a whole?

AstroNova

Hi, guys!

Quite a while since I made a post here (basically almost 10 years. oops).
Anyway, I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on G5?
I personally love it, and I can't wait for more stuff to come out for it.

Kinda hoping for more movies in the future, maybe something to do with discovering if the mane 6 and princesses are still around in some capacity?

• Brohoof 3

I guess it's a thing?

Don't get me wrong, there are several things I've liked about the lore and the dynamic of the new main characters. It feels fresh and somewhat more natural than late FiM mane6 or students. I also like that the separation of the pony species implies the downfall of the kingdom after the royal princesses left Twilight in charge. I have always said, Twilight's coronation was rushed and she wasn't ready to take on such a huge challenge.
On the other hoof, the animated content that came after the movie has been a disapointment for me. I mean, the youtube webseries has dreadfully ugly beanmouths and most episodes feel like filler (despite the amazing trash song). The 3D animations are far subpar to the quality seen in the movie. I know, I didn't expect great animation for anything that wasn't part of the movie, but we gotta admit it looks quite outdated. Like the kind of cheap 3D you'd expect from an early 2010's 3D animated series.

I want to like the post movie content, but I just can't get to like it enough as it is. I hope things get better on the long run, but I don't really see G5 as the next long run pony generation.

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, Props ValRoa said:

Much better than I thought. I hope there are no more connections with G4, though.

Yeah i prefer it that they don't connect it to G5. I keep on cannoning that this is one of starlight glimmers alternate time line made.

The more i try to connect it to gen 5 the worse i see it. 

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Jesse Terrence said:

I guess it's a thing?

Don't get me wrong, there are several things I've liked about the lore and the dynamic of the new main characters. It feels fresh and somewhat more natural than late FiM mane6 or students. I also like that the separation of the pony species implies the downfall of the kingdom after the royal princesses left Twilight in charge. I have always said, Twilight's coronation was rushed and she wasn't ready to take on such a huge challenge.
On the other hoof, the animated content that came after the movie has been a disapointment for me. I mean, the youtube webseries has dreadfully ugly beanmouths and most episodes feel like filler (despite the amazing trash song). The 3D animations are far subpar to the quality seen in the movie. I know, I didn't expect great animation for anything that wasn't part of the movie, but we gotta admit it looks quite outdated. Like the kind of cheap 3D you'd expect from an early 2010's 3D animated series.

I want to like the post movie content, but I just can't get to like it enough as it is. I hope things get better on the long run, but I don't really see G5 as the next long run pony generation.

Makaryo on you tube gas better animation.

• Brohoof 1

I've said it before in a previous status update and I'll say it again, I've dropped out of G5.

They had a strong beginning with the movie, but nothing since then has matched up the spirit of that movie, nor have these characters managed to endear me to them like the G4 cast.
The connection to the previous generation is the strongest thing they have going for them, and even that is keeping them from letting G5 be its own thing. And every time I see them reference G4 or make major changes to the world of Equestria, I fear that these writers are not as familiar with the previous generation as they want us to think. I fully expect them to either get it wrong, or to continuously bait us with no satisfying pay-off.

I do like some characters, but the Winter Wishday special bore me to tears, and the TYT shorts just aren't enough for me anymore. If they move the story along, or if they do a lore drop, or do anything major in MYM; I'll watch that. I want to see where they are going with this. However, I just feel like if this was the show we got instead of Friendship Is Magic, there wouldn't be this big fandom movement called bronies, there wouldn't be as many creators out there making tributes to the show, and it just wouldn't be the same hype train.
I am happy to be proven wrong. I would love for this new generation to do something that makes me COMPLETELY change my mind. For now though, in it's attempt to be something awesome, it has fallen into the marketably safe realm of generic.

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, Toshigami Equine said:

And every time I see them reference G4 or make major changes to the world of Equestria, I fear that these writers are not as familiar with the previous generation as they want us to think.

Oh toshi, but the writers from late FiM were just as familiar with FiM as these G5 writers are.
FiM was a zombie for a while, so what gives if these guys do just like the ones before them?

Also, let's not forget G5 has been a constant production train wreck from the beginning. G5 changed from what was leaked just enough for us to say "Hey, so we don't have an earth pony Twilight nor a former villain Applejack" but the concept was kept in several ways. Then we have that they used several star talents for the VAs on the movie, and that only meant we wouldn't get those VAs on anything else afterwards because that would bloat the budget. Then we also have that Hasbro has been juggling the animation companies for G5, buying some, selling them afterwards, swapping who animates what and so on. We can't expect much from G5 since there's not any stability for it's production. Even Hasbro is going through a crisis right now to the point even Magic the gathering is at peril.

• Brohoof 3

It's awesome. I don't think the trend of people giving it heck is going to reverse any time in the near future, which is a massive shame. The movie was great, though I dislike how it kneecapped people's perception of the generation whole by "setting a standard" not meant to be matched by Tell Your Tale, an immensely entertaining series that has not put out a single episode I've found to be bad yet. Also, unlike a lot of people, I don't like the movie best. Make Your Mark is my favorite thing we've gotten so far, since I love the switch from plot-light comedy "filler" to the plot-heavy anime-style storytelling I always wanted from G4 so much. Haven't touched the comics yet even as I fully intend to read them when I can get my hands on them, a time I hope isn't much farther away because the plot synopsis of the main story really fascinates me. 

I'm still the complete opposite of a G4 loyalist. I don't give a horse's saddle about how G5 needs to be this thing FiM was and blah blah. Why? Because both G5 and FiM are My Little Pony. How long are we going to keep fooling ourselves into thinking that MLP isn't something meant to be enjoyed for what it is? Yeah, G5's "stupid and corny". So what? Are you going to write me a ten-page essay about how FiM's stupidity and corniness was so much better? ...Don't answer that. But seriously, I like the animation of the shows discounting the flaws (bean mouths don't really bother me and I have a huge guilty pleasure for bad CGI), I love the humor, and I like just about everything about the characters, which includes Pipp's doomed-to-be-dated social media obsession gig, because at worst, they write it as something I love to hate. Oh yeah, and that also includes Sparky. At worst, I can love to hate Sparky and not take him too seriously. How seriously some people take Sparky says a lot. 

• Brohoof 2

5 hours ago, Jesse Terrence said:

Oh toshi, but the writers from late FiM were just as familiar with FiM as these G5 writers are.
FiM was a zombie for a while, so what gives if these guys do just like the ones before them?

Also, let's not forget G5 has been a constant production train wreck from the beginning. G5 changed from what was leaked just enough for us to say "Hey, so we don't have an earth pony Twilight nor a former villain Applejack" but the concept was kept in several ways. Then we have that they used several star talents for the VAs on the movie, and that only meant we wouldn't get those VAs on anything else afterwards because that would bloat the budget. Then we also have that Hasbro has been juggling the animation companies for G5, buying some, selling them afterwards, swapping who animates what and so on. We can't expect much from G5 since there's not any stability for it's production. Even Hasbro is going through a crisis right now to the point even Magic the gathering is at peril.

Yup the multiverse is in peril.... Im just hoping that they could relies friendship is magic the gathering before they close....

8 hours ago, Kujamih said:

Yeah i prefer it that they don't connect it to G5. I keep on cannoning that this is one of starlight glimmers alternate time line made.

The more i try to connect it to gen 5 the worse i see it. 

Already when they had Twilight inside of the Prisbeam (if that is what it is called), I found myself quite turned away by it. 

• Brohoof 1

it's fun, I enjoy the characters in the mane. Much prefer the movie and MyM to TyT

but while the movie was amazing, I don't find myself gripped by MyM. I watch it when it's on

strongly agree about the FiM connection. that was always very clunky

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Props ValRoa said:

Already when they had Twilight inside of the Prisbeam (if that is what it is called), I found myself quite turned away by it. 

Nostalgia hits me at first and was curious on what they're up to with twilight..... But in the end just disappointed. So much more questions were raised than answered....

2 hours ago, Jesse Terrence said:

There's an actual set of mlp cards in magic the gathering. So you can rest easy

Those are not legal and only 3

13 hours ago, AstroNova said:

Anyway, I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on G5?

Very slow thoughts. The whole idea from movie to show took so long that I have lost the connections to the characters. It's like making dinner for a whole year, and then trying to think what it will taste like, until that day when you forgot what you were cooking in the first place. Especially the move's Izzy sound so lovely and cute, and all of a sudden she changed into a different character to me. Maybe my ears are going blind.

We have 5 Mane ponies living in one location, and two of them are competing for character development (being the hero or star of the show). A little bit of slice of life which is most likely connected to smart phones and "Tweets™", failed slapstick humor that doesn't render well to 3D characters, and really adorable moments.

And that is the show as I remember it. I have watched it all (except TyT because of the art style), and watched MyM chapter 1 and 2 twice! I even accept Sparky rarity_shocked.png

But is that enough to accept G5 as a thing? No. It isn't the show I grew up with. But it is MLP and that's why I am here.

• Brohoof 2

5 hours ago, Splashee said:

Very slow thoughts. The whole idea from movie to show took so long that I have lost the connections to the characters. It's like making dinner for a whole year, and then trying to think what it will taste like, until that day when you forgot what you were cooking in the first place. Especially the move's Izzy sound so lovely and cute, and all of a sudden she changed into a different character to me. Maybe my ears are going blind.

We have 5 Mane ponies living in one location, and two of them are competing for character development (being the hero or star of the show). A little bit of slice of life which is most likely connected to smart phones and "Tweets™", failed slapstick humor that doesn't render well to 3D characters, and really adorable moments.

And that is the show as I remember it. I have watched it all (except TyT because of the art style), and watched MyM chapter 1 and 2 twice! I even accept Sparky rarity_shocked.png

But is that enough to accept G5 as a thing? No. It isn't the show I grew up with. But it is MLP and that's why I am here.

Well said.....

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, Jesse Terrence said:

Take it or leave it. They are still there.

Either way, who the hell plays Magic? That thing is expensive to ludicrous amounts and has a banlist longer than Santa's Naughty list.

I do and am re selling some.... I sold a card 10× its value... And won local tournaments.

Plus... Thats whats also keeping mlp alive.

• Brohoof 1

18 hours ago, Jesse Terrence said:

I realize that the later seasons were not as well written as fans have come to expect. And I harbor no delusion that FiM was perfect.
However, the previous generation was able to take characters defined by one trait, characters that ran the risk of being one dimensional, and made them charmingly entertaining enough to carry a slice-of-life show. This new generation started out with characters that are all ready well-rounded, but they are in trouble of becoming dangerously generic, and I have not seen enough evidence that the writers know how to build these characters up a charming way.
And I know FiM had many writers that didn't always communicate with each other, but the writers at least had a show bible to follow so that continuity and tone would at least be somewhat upheld. I wonder if G5 has their own show bible. I wonder if anyone from this new generation has read a single page of G4's show bible. I fear that the only reason why they tried to connect the two generations was to cash in on both audiences, but that only works if you're willing to follow through and actually make the connection in a rewarding way. Baiting the audience over and over isn't the same thing as doing something nice for fans of both generations. If anything, it only shows a lack of confidence in your brand new material.

• Brohoof 1

Something about these characters just hasn't clicked for me the same way the G4 characters have. In addition, I feel like the episodes could be executed better because they currently feel messy, cliché, and inconsistent. Characters just seem to change personalities, magic, especially Sparky feels very ex machina, They tie it to G4, but never answer any questions about what happened between the generations. In fact, they don't even answer the questions that spring up within their own generation. It feels like there are so many plot holes and it's quite hard to keep track of what's going on.

I know G4 has some of the problems that G5 has, but to me, they feel like they are to a lesser extent, and hte other parts more than make up for G4's problems, which is why I prefer G4 over G5.

• Brohoof 2

On 2022-12-30 at 11:38 AM, Jesse Terrence said:

There's an actual set of mlp cards in magic the gathering. So you can rest easy

Good luck getting them these days, as they are crazy expensive :lostit:

To be honest the show is really cool. The biggest flaw so far for me is that it's been a long time... and we have got a few episodes, movie and special. And that's all. TyT would be so much cooler if it lasted a little longer - for example ten minutes. (Better than 5, worse than 15 - But I think 10 would be enough for that sense of humor and animation)

Movie was boring, but beautifully made. Like today I was looking at scenes from it and... just wow. And there were some nice songs.
The series was the best. It's a pity it only had 8 episodes. It's good and it's not. There could be more episodes if there was a good idea for them. After 8 there is curiosity. After 16 it could be boring and lazy
. If it was still about Misty and Opaline. I think everyone expects this issue to be solved in the next episodes.
The Winter Special was boring.  But nicely done though.
TyT is too short.
And there was chapter 1 that didn't happen in my head, disappointing, poor, without idea. The only thing it added was earth pony magic, which took the least amount of time. It might as well not have happened.

So I like it, but I can't to get more into the world and like it more and the characters too. Previous generation had 3 times more time in seasons to show us something. How to deal with it? :Cozy:It's gonna be okay, just needs to be further developed.

I have no problem with connects to the G4. But I want something new. Own. I think people are right to be concerned about this. I've always been a strong fan of it, but today I'm afraid of a repeat and killing own concepts. I hope it's not.

Edited by nataalya
  • Brohoof 1

On 2023-01-04 at 10:59 PM, nataalya said:

To be honest the show is really cool. The biggest flaw so far for me is that it's been a long time... and we have got a few episodes, movie and special. And that's all.

Yeah, there’s too little content for 3D horses :scoots:

• 2 weeks later...