Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you guys think about G5 as a whole?

AstroNova

I like that G5 provides us with new pony content, and it is a generation that we can all be present at the start of.  Some character moments work, and the characters aren't bad.  There is the occasional bit of humour that lands.  It's keeping the fandom going, so I'll give it that.  I've kept up with every episode of both TYT and MYM, so I guess it does its job of keeping me occupied for whatever the duration of an episode is.

I'm just going to keep it real and say that I wouldn't be watching G5 right now if G4 didn't make me a Brony, as nothing G5 has put out so far would have made me one otherwise.  I'm still waiting on that spark that G4 had in spades which will turn G5 from a series I watch into one that I love.  Until such time as that happens, I'll identify solely as a G4 Brony.  I think some improvements in the writing, humour and character development departments would help greatly in that regard.  I would also like to see more variety in the music, as aside from the movie, there hasn't really been a lot of variation.

Trying to tie the current series into the previous one is a mistake, as it already had its work cut out for it in following up a series that had many more creative story setups than can even be remotely possible in G5, not to mention going from a fantasy world that was full of interesting creatures and locations to one that has...much less.  It's possible to create a more slice-of-life oriented series with a modern setting and lighter fantasy elements that works, but it would have been a better idea to have just started over completely and not called attention to FiM.

The A New Generation movie is arguably the pinnacle of G5 so far, and for me everything it has going for it is largely surface-level, and doesn't hold up very well to any serious analysis.  It's pretty obvious where MYM is heading, and how the current arc will conclude.  TYT has its moments, but it's kind of on the level of EQG shorts, except its writing is more inconsistent, and I haven't had years of endearment to these characters that makes me content to want to watch them for hours like I could with an EQG playlist.  

Do I think G5 is meritless?  Not entirely.  Do I think it has potential to be an ok series in its own right?  Sure.  Will I still watch it? Sure...and I suppose for that reason there's no reason for Hasbro to listen to my criticism.  Do I think it will ever match G4 in terms of quality?  Sorry, but no I do not.  

On 2022-12-30 at 12:19 AM, Kujamih said:

Yeah i prefer it that they don't connect it to G5. I keep on cannoning that this is one of starlight glimmers alternate time line made.

The more i try to connect it to gen 5 the worse i see it. 

I'm actually cultivating a headcanon that somewhat justifies Grogar, based on the premise that maybe Discord did what he did in order to prevent catastrophe.  I've always wondered how it makes remote sense that somepony could come along and pull the same trick that Chryssy, Tirek and Cozy did, and have it somehow take the Mane Six off guard, even though they would most certainly be ready for something like that.  Then, I thought, what if the events of Season 9 didn't happen?  Now my headcanon is that G5 is set in the future of a universe where the Mane Six weren't prepared for the threats at hand.  Of course, it being the fallout of one of the alternate timelines seen in the Season 5 finale also kind of appeals to me.

On 2022-12-30 at 1:00 AM, Jesse Terrence said:

We can't expect much from G5 since there's not any stability for it's production. Even Hasbro is going through a crisis right now to the point even Magic the gathering is at peril.

I am certainly under the impression that there are problems behind the scenes that are affecting G5.  It also seems apparent that Hasbro is trying to ride the waves of the shift to streaming culture, but I'm not so sure they really understand what makes for a good Netflix series.  They certainly have more experience with YouTube, and I think that may be part of what makes TYT work just a little bit better than its Netflix counterpart, but both series have their problems, and spreading the series out between two platforms does have its drawbacks.  I also think some of the writers on staff are actually really good writers, but aren't given enough to work with, or maybe have too many restrictions.  I don't know, but I think Hasbro may be making some decisions that are limiting G5's potential.  

• Brohoof 1

On 2023-01-21 at 4:02 AM, AlbaTross said:

I am certainly under the impression that there are problems behind the scenes that are affecting G5.  It also seems apparent that Hasbro is trying to ride the waves of the shift to streaming culture, but I'm not so sure they really understand what makes for a good Netflix series.  They certainly have more experience with YouTube, and I think that may be part of what makes TYT work just a little bit better than its Netflix counterpart, but both series have their problems, and spreading the series out between two platforms does have its drawbacks.  I also think some of the writers on staff are actually really good writers, but aren't given enough to work with, or maybe have too many restrictions.  I don't know, but I think Hasbro may be making some decisions that are limiting G5's potential.  

I’d hate if G5 ends barely after taking off :sunny:

On 2023-01-22 at 11:52 AM, Steve Piranha said:

Personally, I think it's at least going to stick around for a little while.  I've heard there are supposed to be 70 TYT in the first "season", and while I don't know how many MYM episodes are planned, I'm going to assume it will go until the Opaline arc is concluded.  Beyond that though is anyone's guess.  I could see there being a second season.  My criticisms aside, I don't think G5 is going to end tomorrow, so I don't think you need to worry too much about that.  I don't think we're getting a decade of G5 and nine seasons, but it's not going away in the immediate future.  

1 hour ago, AlbaTross said:

Personally, I think it's at least going to stick around for a little while.  I've heard there are supposed to be 70 TYT in the first "season", and while I don't know how many MYM episodes are planned, I'm going to assume it will go until the Opaline arc is concluded.  Beyond that though is anyone's guess.  I could see there being a second season.  My criticisms aside, I don't think G5 is going to end tomorrow, so I don't think you need to worry too much about that.  I don't think we're getting a decade of G5 and nine seasons, but it's not going away in the immediate future.  

As long as it last with some major plots resolved like Twilight, and last as much as 3 seasons of FIM, I’d be satisfied :scoots:

On 2023-01-22 at 12:52 PM, Steve Piranha said:

That doesn't seem to be the case. Despite Hasbro's finances not doing too great recently, take a guess at what reportedly actually did well last year? :arethosehands:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/qai/2022/11/23/hasbro-stock-revenue-and-profit-trends-at-the-toy-making-giant/?sh=1d85dc0b3966

1083027977_HasbroForbesMLP.jpg.bc1458f6723e95a407105c58646ce399.jpg

That's also not counting all the money they've sunk into G5 so far...it would be stupid to discontinue it so soon. 

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

That doesn't seem to be the case. Despite Hasbro's finances not doing too great recently, take a guess at what reportedly actually did well last year? :arethosehands:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/qai/2022/11/23/hasbro-stock-revenue-and-profit-trends-at-the-toy-making-giant/?sh=1d85dc0b3966

1083027977_HasbroForbesMLP.jpg.bc1458f6723e95a407105c58646ce399.jpg

That's also not counting all the money they've sunk into G5 so far...it would be stupid to discontinue it so soon. 

As long as G5 horses survive past 2026, I’ll be happy :squee:

Spoiler

How else are we gonna celebrate the next Lunar Year of the Horse :dash:? I hope some G4 merchandise come along too :oh_golly:

It's alright. It's a fine show that I can get some enjoyment out of, but I think really plays it safe. The movie was fantastic but the show(mostly MYM) is pretty underwhelming, Izzy and Sunny in particular I think are a big step down from their movie counterparts and as a villain Opaline is weaksauce. TYT I think is notably better than MYM, with the characters being allowed to be more fun and smaller stories are more fun. I also think it's being held back by being a direct sequel to G4 rather than standing out on it's own

People can nitpick the bad in G5 all they want, but you know what should also be getting nitpicked to be fair? The good. These background gags are absolute genius

medium.jpg

It's already cool enough to see Tree Hugger on the left there, but guess where both of those pictures of her in addition to others came from if you didn't already know? ;)

large.png

A picture really does say a thousand words. :fluttershy: The irony in hating G5 out of obsessive geekery with Friendship is Magic when there are clearly people working on this show who are obsessive FiM geeks. 

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

People can nitpick the bad in G5 all they want, but you know what should also be getting nitpicked to be fair? The good. These background gags are absolute genius

medium.jpg

It's already cool enough to see Tree Hugger on the left there, but guess where both of those pictures of her in addition to others came from if you didn't already know? ;)

large.png

A picture really does say a thousand words. :fluttershy: The irony in hating G5 out of obsessive geekery with Friendship is Magic when there are clearly people working on this show who are obsessive FiM geeks. 

Man, I didn’t think those were in-universe art from FIM. I thought they were cameos :mlp_icwudt:.

anyway, and f your last point, yeah, expecting G5 to be the second coming of FIM is a HUGE mistake :scoots:. My main gripe is the length between “mane” releases :dry:. WHEN IS MY MYM CHAPTER 4 :Cozy:?

• Brohoof 2