Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rescue At My Destiny | Chapter 1 | Where It All Began

MoonBunny

From when I was a filly, I never had much hope for where I would end up, what I would be or even How I would be... it was all but a mystery, shrouded in my constant self deprecation and overall crappy life. The beginning of my life wasn't what i hoped for, nor did i really have much choice in.

My mother was constantly in and out of jobs, she was always a dreamer, quite literally. Her name was Rosemary Dreamer, she was a Pegasus who earned her special talent in weather control, but she always wanted something bigger than just basic weather control. She dreamt of elegance and riches, a luxury style of life that with the way she lived would never be available to her.

On the other hoof was my father, Astral Specter, a larger Unicorn who had a gambling addiction - when my mother had a job, he was gambling away our bits and most of the time losing. Ironically he earned his cutiemark in bar-tending, but lost his love for this when he started trading away our life resources.
I was a single child, raised in poverty. Living in Canterlot with no bits proved difficult, and the constant bullying and torturous remarks stayed with me for a long time.
Although there was a silver-lining.

"Come on! it isn't that hard" The Orange mare exclaimed

"What are you talking about, I can't do that! You may be great with your fancy potions but I have no clue what I'm doing" I muttered back to her. Dandelion Heart (more commonly known as Dandy) was one of the first ponies in this stuck up city that showed me true friendship. She came from a sophisticated background, with everything she desired. Most importantly parents who owned up to their responsibilities of being an actual parent.
But she was unique, in so many ways. She was humble, creative and incredibly intelligent. She had passion, desire, and most importantly she was kind and not judgemental of ponies in anyway different from her.

On this particular day, it was cold and wet, I was curious as to why this gracious and stylish mare was so comfortable getting her beautiful gowns muddy, but I didn't question it. We were assigned science homework, my least enjoyed subject. It was common place for us to get into pairs and work together to solve the problem of what our teacher set for us. This time, plant growth.
"Trust me, it is easy, you just follow the steps and you will get results, i promise." She smiled toward me, a hopeful grin that comforted me but it just wasn't enough.
"I'm going to fail Dandy, this just isn't the subject I can overcome."
She shook her head, flicking her tail in annoyance. Her Blonde mane was wet and stringy over her face, her wings puffed up for protection from the frosty wind.
Dandelion excelled at anything science based, her strengths were in ecology and almost anything plant related. It was very fitting for the homework we were assigned. She was the first in her class to get her cutiemark, one day her mother grew tremendously ill and was on the brink of death. With a few weeds, mixed together potions and flowers - her mother bounced back and survived the mysterious illness, her cutiemark appeared right after this,
In my opinion, I think Dandy would be a brilliant nurse, but her talent was much more broad than just potions that made you better. She could create hybrid plants, magical ones and enchanted ones that could do all sorts of things for a pony. I knew that one day she would make a business selling her creations to medical ponies or wizards in need of ingredients.
"Come here, let me show you" She sighed, pulling the book toward herself. She scowled at the page and let out a groan. "No wonder it isn't working for you, these steps have it all wrong. This isn't the conditions you can grow a frost rose in!" She shook her head and threw the book behind her.
"What do you mean?"
"This book is outdated, a frost rose isn't to be grown in cold weather - that is the irony of this plant, you grow it in almost boiling conditions with a little bit of enchanted water potion, mixed with some stardust oil, and wallah! You get yourself a beautiful little frost rose!" she grinned, writing down a step by step tutorial on a piece of scrap paper.
"Oh! Well... That makes sense, I'll give your method a try." my voice sounded weak, almost doubtful.
"Do not fret MoonBunny! You will pass this assignment... If you follow my step by step instructions of course."

Apart from my late grandma, Dandy was the only other pony that called me by this nickname, when I was younger I hated this silly little nickname, as I grew older it became a part of me.
When I returned home that day, I tried the instructions she created and of course, she was right. I passed my assignment.

It wasn't long before Dandelion moved away to Ponyville, her father made a business deal which resulted in their family needing to live so far from me. I was alone again. The bullying grew worse as most ponies felt it was hilarious that I was alone. I started skipping school, it wasn't as if my parents noticed - they were too busy being impractical and downright stupid to care, my grades slipped. Everything felt like nothing, no hope reached my heart.
I didn't know what else to do...

• Brohoof 1