Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Are people tired of depending on streaming yet?

Fluttershutter

I keep hearing "I'm gonna watch X before it goes off of X streaming service."

Did it ever occur to people that they might want to watch something after it's not profitable to keep it on the streaming service?

Streaming is no different than tv's ever been. It's about getting in viewers in the short term. That's why tapes and later disks were invented, So we could keep the shows and movies we love. Now there are shows on streaming that we'd like to keep and when they're gone they'll just basically cease to exist. It's like we've gone back in time to tv in the 1970s.

• Brohoof 5

To my knowledge, most original movies and shows, exclusive to streaming platforms, also put out physical media. At least the more popular ones. I do own several of my favs as physical copies. To be fair, I don’t see Netflix dropping Stranger Things or the Crown from the platform, but if they do and BluRay players still exists … I’m covered. It’s sort of my thing. If I adore a film or series I will buy a physical copy. 

Now, if we could get a full BluRay release of a certain show about a few ponies who band together to spread friendship … I’ll be happy. 

2 hours ago, Fluttershutter said:

It's like we've gone back in time to tv in the 1970s

Exactly. But for some reason, it is funny to me that the “TV” format is the thing people choose (and pay for), over more modern technologies

• Brohoof 1

I have abandoned all subscription based streaming services and that's because I use Microsoft Movies & TV now and purchase my movies and shows there. Yes, it is still technically a streaming service, but I own the content in it and can also download any of it to my PC. I know people make this big fuss over digital media vs physical content and I get that, but MS M&TV has been an amazing thing for me for several reasons: 

• It has introduced me to tons of movies and shows I never would have known about otherwise.
  • The sales and deals they have are often fantastic, giving me prices that I never would've gotten with physical versions, especially for more rare shows. One example: I got the entirety of Futurama for $25. That is awesome and I've gotten many other shows with similar deals, including many anime shows that are obscure and either have no physical release or are rare to find, making them expensive beyond belief. 
  • It is all there ready to go when I need it, if I owned all of it in physical form, it would be impossible for me to manage, not to mention there is absolutely no space in my room for it all.
  • All of this above leads to a greater point; It makes me love purchasing movies and shows. Since I've always been a gamer, my focus previously was almost solely on that and any movies or shows I had any interest in seeing, I admit that in the past I would download it from somewhere else, but now that is very much left in the past. Any movie that for whatever reason isn't on that store, I order a bluray copy of it. Win-Win. All of this has ignited a much larger passion within me for movies and tv. 
  • Brohoof 2

5 hours ago, Brony Number 42 said:

I had an idea. I want to release a movie on HDDVD.

To me, looking at a raw image frame from the same movie, but distributed on different storage mediums, Blu-ray and HD DVD are almost if not the same.

In the very end, you have lossy compression MPEG (MPEG-4 Part 10, also known as H.264).

Streaming, you will get the same thing. Nothing new and exciting here. You will get H.264, because what YouTube uses, everyone agrees upon.

9 hours ago, Fluttershutter said:

Did it ever occur to people that they might want to watch something after it's not profitable to keep it on the streaming service?

I believe that most people today accepts TV to be like this. Radio was the same back in the day. They decide what is good, and play it until you like it.

There are a billion YouTubers out there who keep complaining and want physical media back. People know what they want, but they still pay for Disney+. It is what the Facebook generation wants.

I'm not tired of depending on streaming services with subscriptions because I hardly ever used them to begin with. I don't like them because you don't own anything, not even access to the streaming service. Not only that, but the streaming service can also change anything at any time, like removing shows and movies as the OP mentioned. What also bothers me is that I want to watch only a few shows on that streaming service, so I would have to pay full price monthly just to watch them. I don't want to watch the majority of movies and shows on the streaming service, I just want to watch the few movies and shows that I love. Overall, streaming service that require a subscription are not worth paying for to me, although I will pay for them from time to time to watch my favorite shows like MLP.

I made a Netflix account in order to watch Avatar the Last Airbender, only for Paramount+ to come out and take it. I nearly cancelled my subscription because there wasn't much else for me at the time, but I think I watch just enough to justify keeping it.

Streaming was supposed to be cheaper and more convenient than cable, but there's so many now juggling all of these franchises that it feels like they'd cost about the same if you were to have everything.

I mainly rely on streaming due to lack of space to store physical media, physical media being so damned expensive (had bad experiences with many used copies), and not being close enough to a retail outlet that still sells DVD/Blu-Ray material.

On 2023-01-05 at 1:11 AM, Jeric said:

To my knowledge, most original movies and shows, exclusive to streaming platforms, also put out physical media. At least the more popular ones. I do own several of my favs as physical copies. To be fair, I don’t see Netflix dropping Stranger Things or the Crown from the platform, but if they do and BluRay players still exists … I’m covered. It’s sort of my thing. If I adore a film or series I will buy a physical copy. 

Off the top of my head much of Stranger Things, Dark Crystal Age of Resistance, The Great North, oh yeah and FIM Seasons 8 and 9 and ANG don't have official releases!

On 2023-01-05 at 8:47 AM, Splashee said:

I believe that most people today accepts TV to be like this. Radio was the same back in the day. They decide what is good, and play it until you like it.

There are a billion YouTubers out there who keep complaining and want physical media back. People know what they want, but they still pay for Disney+. It is what the Facebook generation wants.

That's my point. It's like things have regressed. I do hope enough people keep demanding physical media back. I think part of the problem is that we're mostly buying used copies of physical media because it's all that's available. That and bootlegs.

I’ve always preferred physical media and I have a LOT of dvds, but I also have a lot of streaming services for the convenience and the occasional ‘exclusive’ binge series. But streamers that drop a show or movie after a certain amount of time should make them available on dvd. There’s no reason for letting old shows die in an age when everything is available. Everything should be available on pre-released dvd or on demand. Waiting around for some committee to randomly decide what shows will be available, and what won’t is a road to nowhere. Look at Disney’s vast studio library compared to their limited streaming service regarding anything 10 years and older. It’s all about promoting their latest stuff that failed at the box office and trying to recoup their losses with a less demanding audience.

I don’t mind that some streamers rotate their libraries as long as they mention an expiration date on watching certain movies and shows, as Netflix often does. At least it gives viewers a heads-up. But few services are interested in the rights of the customers. As usual, it's the customers who get shafted, nothing new there.

• Brohoof 1

There are way too many to keep track of. I don’t watch shows/movies often these days but when I want to watch something I’ll just rent it directly from YouTube/Amazon/whatever site has it… Subscription prices don’t usually feel worth it to me. That said, I wouldn’t mind having one sort of go-to service that could also show me recommendations and such, when I want to find something new to watch.

On 2023-01-05 at 8:19 AM, Kyoshi said:

I use Microsoft Movies & TV now and purchase my movies and shows there. 

That sounds like just what I’m looking for, I’ll check it out!

• Brohoof 2

24 minutes ago, SparklingSwirls said:

There are way too many to keep track of. I don’t watch shows/movies often these days but when I want to watch something I’ll just rent it directly from YouTube/Amazon/whatever site has it… Subscription prices don’t usually feel worth it to me. That said, I wouldn’t mind having one sort of go-to service that could also show me recommendations and such, when I want to find something new to watch.

That sounds like just what I’m looking for, I’ll check it out!

I really do think that Microsoft offers the best overall service in this department, especially with the sales. Really, the only major downside to it is that it is only available on Windows devices (So Windows PC's) and Xbox consoles. They have hinted at making an Xbox streaming stick at some point and if they are smart they will allow access to our movies and shows from that too. You should see my checklist blog post that I made, you can check out just how many things I've gotten on that service. :)

• Brohoof 1

I don't like streaming services. I have had very little enjoyment from Disney+ Sweden and Netflix Sweden as they only put up old shows and movies, and the newer ones, they partly put up. You think you get a lot of entertainment, but small YouTube channels keep me entertained more.

• Brohoof 1

• 7 months later...

I tend to think while there needs to be improved such as not hastily removing shows, that streaming has it's place.  It's just that it needs to be an opinion, not the only option.

Heck even before some major purges and not being removed yet, got the entirety of Adventure Time in 2020 for example, even got the Distant Lands DVD this year.  Even going to other formats, I frequently get the published releases of Phoebe and Her Unicorn despite it being legally free.

On 2023-01-22 at 8:08 AM, Splashee said:

I don't like streaming services. I have had very little enjoyment from Disney+ Sweden and Netflix Sweden as they only put up old shows and movies, and the newer ones, they partly put up. You think you get a lot of entertainment, but small YouTube channels keep me entertained more.

Tubi is at least something to check out.  A lot of good retro toons and subbed Tokusatsu.

Plus being free of charge.

I remember recording stuff on vhs tape. We ended up throwing em all out when we moved. Then I tried to get dvds of a lot of stuff but a lots bin lost forever. I should probably should start getting them again. I wanna get g4 atleast. It seems like the older the shows cost more on dvd when I looked for some. Idk I’ll look again it’s bin a while 

• Brohoof 1

They're not and they won't be any time soon, because streaming offers a lot of convinience and you (supposedly) pay little and receive a lot in return. All you need is Internet and subscription and you're good to go. You can watch on your smartphone, tablet, PC, laptop, TV... it's just simple. 

I have only one very big problem with streaming services - you don't really own what you watch. It can be taken away at any moment just, because the provider feels like it. You can be denied access based on location (because in XXI century big corporations still mess around with region locks). It's not that big of a problem, when you watch shows or movies made by streaming platform (Disney+ is relatively safe, because Disney owns what's there, giving them little to no reason to ever take any content down), but still you are at someone else's mercy. 

However right now, when you can actually purchase physical copies it is not that big of a problem yet. Real problem will arise, when you can no longer own a show or movie outside streaming services. That's something gaming is dealing with as today there's just no way to own a video game. Even if you buy the physical copy... you'll end up installing it on Steam anyway. You merely have right to use it, but there's no guarantee that we will keep our games if for example Steam goes bankrupt. To me that's more concerning than streaming services, at least for now.

• Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, Twitchy-Tremor said:

I remember recording stuff on vhs tape. We ended up throwing em all out when we moved. Then I tried to get dvds of a lot of stuff but a lots bin lost forever. I should probably should start getting them again. I wanna get g4 atleast. It seems like the older the shows cost more on dvd when I looked for some. Idk I’ll look again it’s bin a while 

Used dvds are super cheap.

No, not really. I like the convenience of streaming. Sure owning your own physical copies is nice, until you realize that the discs can get lost or break easily. That and moving with boxes of dvds/blu rays looks like a pain from what I saw with a relative.

Thankfully through a provider I have a lot of streaming services for cheap, but I mainly use Youtube for entertainment. In fact, a majority of my "social media/video" time on my phone and desktop is YouTube.