Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Short status hidden by button-thing

North Star

This may well just be me. But it's happened so many times now with short statuses. What's @Deae Rising Shine~saying here do you think? 90% sure the letter before the t is one with a prong and no tail. I favour a multi- prong, like 'n', 'm', 'h','k'

image.png.aa376c3e96e2da4be65ee98c2243925f.png

So the word could be:

"Plant" "ant" "tyrant" "stint" "mint" "brilliant" "tint" "lint" "contenstant" "elephant"

No common 'mt' words

No common 'ht' words   

No common 'kt' words either!

It's a mystery :( 

Spoiler

my assumption about 'ht' was wrong :P We don't end words with a "hut" noise but friggin English uses 'ght' endings to make the vowelly 'aiet'-sounding word-ending for loads of really common words "Night" "Fight" (Rising was saying "Night" here)

how did I ever learn to speak this friggin language D:

anyway, is there a way to move that buttony thing off the text? Not a big issue and it's probably just my comp being silly, but thought I'd ask :P

Thanks for looking into it @Rikifive :) sadly, no dice on the change for me yet :( I'm using Chrome, so that's prolly it

image.png.7c0562dfc1cb2a7b553654bb4ecef154.png

On Edge it is fine btw

image.png.3ecf947bbc28d1eccd8d75f8d2837c33.png

• Brohoof 3

There are a couple of workarounds at the moment.

The button only shows up in the profile activity feed – if you open the status itself (by clicking on the posting date), it won't appear.

If you have an ad blocker, you can also use that to block the button and it won't hide the text anymore. Not sure if this has some side effects, but I can't think of any.

elementblocked.thumb.png.c3d78d74ab016cbf81286970035869ac.png

• Brohoof 3

4 hours ago, abrony-mouse said:

anyway, is there a way to move that buttony thing off the text? Not a big issue and it's probably just my comp being silly, but thought I'd ask :P

The only way I know of is to click on the time ("12 hours ago" in this case) to see that status update only. It won't have that button.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Deae Rising Shine~ said:

yeah noticed that too, can be annoying.

Beginning your status with a new line will temporarily solve the problem.

Since statuses aren't affected after being edited (compared to thread posts where you will get an edited message), it is a quick edit to add that new line to the beginning of your status once you've noticed your message has been obscured by the icon.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Gaines said:

I have noticed this as well but am patient with mods/admins :) In the meantime, I've been starting my statuses with a dash and Enter
image.png.3a56a59010934080aa3e9e6efe4fd951.png image.png.dec20fd7b574da2451e3001069a904bc.png

The dashes are very visible on cell phones and pads (mobile view) and were confusing at least for me when I first saw your status, while a new line is a better solution for both worlds. Try just using Enter instead to create a new line.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, for some reason a forum plugin responsible for minor style changes all over the place causes that icon to overlap with contents.

This little issue is lingering for a long while now, so....

... I hope nobody minds, I have pushed an edit to site CSS to adjust it back to what it should be originally. I might be crossing my privileges at this point, as I was never told to touch anything there, but it's just a minor edit I can always revert, I hope I won't end up on the moon. :lookup:

That said, @abrony-mouse please check that again and tell me if it looks okay now.

Edit: Or wait a second, I'll revert it for a moment and check how it looks on mobile~

1703717726_5minuteslater.jpg.84d2769102df5807075cbdd606dbadea.jpg

Edit2: Alright, on mobile that icon is not present, so I guess that's why the contents were snapped to the left edge, otherwise there's a rather big unnecessary margin. So it has to be only fixed for larger views~

I re-added the modification and made it apply only to tablet and PC views, where the issue was present. Now it should look okay on all displays, please let me know if you find something odd regardless. :) 

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 2

@Rikifive The icon is now covering the first word of a status on my iPad.

I can’t take a screenshot because I don’t know how, but you might get the same results by resizing the browser window a little on desktop.

• Brohoof 2

On 2023-01-26 at 9:24 AM, abrony-mouse said:

Thanks for looking into it @Rikifive :) sadly, no dice on the change for me yet :( I'm using Chrome, so that's prolly it

image.png.7c0562dfc1cb2a7b553654bb4ecef154.png

On Edge it is fine btw

image.png.3ecf947bbc28d1eccd8d75f8d2837c33.png

Now that's interesting. I use Chrome myself, so I'd expect problems on any other browser, but not Chrome, as I am verifying changes using Chrome on both, mobile and PC.

Since it appears to be working for you in Edge, it definitely should do so on Chrome as well, unless you're using a heavily outdated version, which would probably cause numerous similar issues all over the place. :P Personally I saw the changes immediately without having to do anything in my browser (like clearing cookies etc.).

I'll take another look once I get home (just started my shift at work ;-; )

1 hour ago, Splashee said:

@Rikifive The icon is now covering the first word of a status on my iPad.

I can’t take a screenshot because I don’t know how, but you might get the same results by resizing the browser window a little on desktop.

I assume it didn't do that earlier? Oof, that's interesting. It looks perfect for me in any size, I checked all, mobile, tablet and PC sizes on Chrome. The page layout changes at specific widths, squishing and hiding some stuff once you hit a specific point - I was resizing pixel by pixel and everything was triggered perfectly, that is:

- mobile size unchanged

- apply change to any screen wider than max width specified for mobile view

And the change is applying for me perfectly between these points.

Supporting mobile devices and all these different browsers is such a pain. :P

I'll take an another look at this later. :eager:

2 hours ago, Rikifive said:

Now that's interesting. I use Chrome myself, so I'd expect problems on any other browser, but not Chrome, as I am verifying changes using Chrome on both, mobile and PC.

Since it appears to be working for you in Edge, it definitely should do so on Chrome as well, unless you're using a heavily outdated version, which would probably cause numerous similar issues all over the place. :P Personally I saw the changes immediately without having to do anything in my browser (like clearing cookies etc.).

I'll take another look once I get home (just started my shift at work ;-; )

I assume it didn't do that earlier? Oof, that's interesting. It looks perfect for me in any size, I checked all, mobile, tablet and PC sizes on Chrome. The page layout changes at specific widths, squishing and hiding some stuff once you hit a specific point - I was resizing pixel by pixel and everything was triggered perfectly, that is:

- mobile size unchanged

- apply change to any screen wider than max width specified for mobile view

And the change is applying for me perfectly between these points.

Supporting mobile devices and all these different browsers is such a pain. :P

I'll take an another look at this later. :eager:

ooh, hadn't thought of that *goes to update chrome*

nope :( still hiding in chrome

image.png.b61497efd13eba9b2791cb9e5bfe1c8c.png

(Deae could have been saying "Soda, weekend!" but they are actually greeting the weekend with a "Heya" :3 ) 

• Brohoof 1

This is what I see on both, Chrome and Edge:

PC & Tablet view
image.png.0b78357f4caabb7cbd7d2f7dbb4376a1.png

There is a profile picture and content type icon to the left; Username and content have a left margin.

Mobile view

image.png.35f4d48b73f40b13d5abcc11a0a00d29.png

No profile pic nor content type icon = no need for margin for the contents.

From what I see, the problem is, that a 3rd party forum plugin removes the left margin of the contents, making these snap to left, where it clashes with the content type icon.

What I'm trying to do, is to overwrite it again to bring back the margin it should have for tablet & PC views.

I find it intriguing, however, that we get different results despite using the same exact browser... and even more due to it working for you in Edge. e-twiwth.png.5878ad773cfe0efaf9dc8dc75763160a.png This makes me think, that it may be a local problem in your Chrome - maybe it cached the files responsible for styling.

Either way, I tried a bit different approach, could you take a look at this again @abrony-mouse? :P 

Also to be sure we're looking at the same thing, you mean the "Activity" tab in user profiles, correct? I couldn't find any other place where this issue shows up.

image.thumb.png.054e5550fda66387f4eb096607afc50d.png

@Splashee Did it get better now? :eager: And did you experience this problem in the first place, or did I "break it" for you? :P 

Edited by Rikifive

On 2023-01-27 at 3:13 AM, Rikifive said:

but it's just a minor edit I can always revert, I hope I won't end up on the moon

Without your hard work, this place would fall apart, so don’t sweat it.

11 hours ago, Rikifive said:

Did it get better now? :eager: And did you experience this problem in the first place, or did I "break it" for you

It looks okay (like in the screenshot provided in the posts above) on my iPad.

• Brohoof 2

13 hours ago, Deae Rising Shine~ said:

I'm on a laptop and use Firefox. For me I have no issue anymore, i see my pfp and text is readable now

Thank you for confirmation, that means we're getting somewhere. :lookup: 

3 hours ago, Splashee said:

Without your hard work, this place would fall apart, so don’t sweat it.

e-BARBARA_LOVE.png.093937706744721075571530ebbf31f3.png

3 hours ago, Splashee said:

It looks okay (like in the screenshot provided in the posts above) on my iPad.

Great! Thanks! :mlp_yeehaa:

@abrony-mouse Please let me know if it looks okay for you too. If you still can't see the changes in Chrome, it will have to be something locally in your browser and I'll tell you what we can try to do. :BrightMacContent: