Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do You "Feel Old" Or "Young"?

Luna the Great of all the Russias

"Feeling old" or "young"?  

19 users have voted

1. 1. You "feel...

• "...old".
    • "...young".

"Feeling young" or "feeling old" could correspond to one's physical age, but I am more referring to something more subjective: one's mental outlook or one's sense of oneself which may not necessarily seem to align with one's physical age. How would you contrast the sense of being young as opposed to being old? If you "feel old", was the transition away from "feeling young" gradual or was it a seemingly rapid transition due to specific circumstances? If you "feel young", why do you not think you "feel old" yet (though there are some who will never "feel old")? Do you necessarily associate a positive or negative connotation to either?

Edited by Luna the Great of all the Russias
  • Brohoof 2

I like to think my self as a “old soul”. feel like I either just ahead of my generation or born in the wrong one. Or respawned on this generation from the past. You get the idea. However, I do have a moment of spark where I feel young again. Like Harry Potter for example. That will always be like a spoonful of sugar for me. 

• Brohoof 2

Neither. My body never reached proper adulthood, so my mental health has suffered. And I am very unstable. All the expected symptoms from hpyogonadism. Crippling anxiety, major depression, dissociation, isolation, alieantion, self-destructive behaviour, suicidal ideation.

Imagine being trapped in a lesser version of yourself. Your potential stolen. That is the reason my mother and her brother act like autistic children, they are broken. And so am I. This condition does that to people. So, they cannot stand on their own again. It is a pitiful and almost repulsive sight when you look at it in truth. Especially because they never had a choice in the matter.

(666 characters. What a perfect number. A testament to the dangers of inbreeding. But at this point we are just waiting it out. Since the only honest solution was always the same one).

• Brohoof 3

I've always felt older. I think it's because my mom had to grow up fast in a less than child friendly environment, and I picked up a little on that from our mature conversations.

My peers treated me like an old grouchy individual when I'd complain about all of the modern things I disliked, amd being a fan of history didn't help.

I started feeling old when I found out I can't hear others calling for me when. There's a background noise like running water. I started feeling old when the exhaustive work environment took a toll on my mental well being and made my memory somewhat kaput. I started feeling old when my back started to hurt regularly.

• Brohoof 2

I’m 28 but consistently have accidentally said “29” by mistake. I certainly feel young. I do feel too old to still be under any kind of schooling to get ahead. Plenty of people got to that point at… 22? I feel like I’ve flunked 7 years is how I feel sometimes.

• Brohoof 1

In addition, I felt old when I found a "Shield Penny" on the ground yesterday, that was dark, dull, and dirty. I remember checking out at a store once and watching the cashier unwrap a fresh uncirculated roll of these things for my change, and they were the shiniest coins I ever did see.

My brother said you feel old when you start feeling affected by “troublesome things with your body”, and that just complaining about age is not the same. I complain about my age so I guess I feel young then :please:

It's weird. I don't know.

The health issues I've been through have made me feel much, much older. But the way I reacted to the initial ones by going into denial and not assuming I had a future and living my life in that way, trying to live like my life "before" (early college, high school) has the very opposite effect.

I have wisdom due to my health issues, but I do not have much experience "adulting" and kept a rather immature mindset for a long time. I'm only just now beginning to recover from that, beginning to think about my life.

I have always had a young outlook, and still do. When I was young I never wanted to grow older because, I figured, you have your whole life to be old, but you can only be young once. Now that I am older, I’m glad I held onto my youth, at least in spirit. My creaky old bones and tired old corpse no longer reflect the youthful vibrancy of what lies within. So let’s say I have a youthful interior but I withered old exterior.

I currently feel older than other people my age as I don't like staying out too late and don't like loud parties/clubs that much like the others. I find myself enjoying the smallest things and keeping to myself, and I'm enjoying life in that aspect. I find social media exhausting and left that years ago. The only drama I like is on my screen XD

However, I would like to surround myself with more people who understand me and like my interests like MLP. I'm a firm believer that there's a time and place for everything and everyone. Enjoy the present.

When I was younger, I did everything I can to enjoy being young and hanging out with many people. Over time, I eventually left that lifestyle and many people left my life. I didn't have much and came from a rough upbringing, but it was what it was. I did a lot of crazy stuff back then. I always hear people tell me about the "good old days" and how they would like to go back since they currently don't like the present, but I like being more in control of my destiny as an adult. Sometimes things can get rough as an adult, but I've been managing well enough and I can do what I want now. 

Sorry if I went off on a tangent, sometimes its interesting looking back at the past and where the future is going when the present takes a step back.

There is one sense in which I feel older: those who have had the greatest direct influence on shaping my worldview, much of it fundamental, were born roughly over 80 years ago at the latest; with only a relatively small set of exceptions, people who were born within the past 80 years or so have had at most a minor influence on shaping my worldview.