Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Luna Vs. Starlight (who would win in a fight)

LunaLover12345

Personally I’d say Luna, yes starlight is really magical, but Luna has had training from starswirl the bearded (who’s spells are the base for almost every feat made by starlight), also knowledge wise I think Luna knows more spells, also the whole tantapus feat made by Luna seems more impressive and powerful than anything starlight has done, heck her fears in Luna eclipsed itself could give starlight a run for her money, I also believe Luna is more powerful than Celestia easily.

@LunaLover12345

Ask a Pony section of the forum is designed for users to create a pony Q&A, usually their own OC, so other members can ask them questions. Your thread is related to the show and its characters.
When you are talking about the series, such as specific episodes/moments, theories, and so on, post your thread in FIM Canon Discussion.

Your thread has been moved to FIM Canon Discussion.

Fans want to believe Luna would win. But considering how useless the royal sisters are in actual combat, Starlight should take this pretty handily considering she was revealed to be even more powerful than Twilight in magic.

I think it really depends on the situation. Luna is clearly far more powerful, but even an infantryman with an explosive can take out a tank.

Starlight's advantage is that she's arguably the most pragmatic character on the show, and this is given a bonus that Luna is afraid of what her own powers are capable of, resulting in her being over confident, while also holding back.

In an even setting where they both simply have the objective to defeat the other without moral obligations getting in the way, Luna wins without question.

5 hours ago, SharpWit said:

Luna is clearly far more powerful.

How so? If we're talking about the Fanon version of the character then sure. But the Canon one? I don't recall ever seeing her do anything impressive. All this goes for Celestia too.

Hmmmm I'm biased and can't pick either since I love them both XD

They are both powerful in their own right, but Luna is an alicorn, was taught by Starswirl, can move the moon, and more with her powers. So I'd put her just a little ahead of Starlight in terms of power from everything that we've seen in the show. Though Starlight has incredible potential that can almost match and possibly surpass Luna's alicorn powers given time. However, that is just speculation. Sure, Twilight Sparkle  stated that she couldn't beat Starlight head to head during that whole time travel ordeal, but that she had to talk her out of destroying Equestria. Starlight is  arguably one of the most powerful unicorns in the series, if not the most powerful. She did do well against a powered up Queen Chrysalis for a bit. Luna(and Celestia) did not do much in the show, but again the show was more focused on friendship, particularly Twilight and her friends. So its hard to gauge what Luna can actually do other than what we saw in the show.

Edited by StarlightNyars

3 hours ago, Asbel Lhant said:

How so?

Firstly, she's an Alicorn Princess, Starlight's not. She'll always have a naturally higher magical output. Honed technique and cunning are the only means around this. I'll refer to my military analogy from before.

Second, I'm going to take two excerpts from Silver Quill's video, After the Fact: Two Worlds, regarding an alternate timeline from The Cutie Re-Mark. 

Spoiler

"But what about a world ruled by Nightmare Moon. A world where there is no resistance. It's difficult to make a lot of assertions since we only see this place for a few minutes and it's limited to just the castle, but we can infer a lot from knowledge of both the set up and Nightmare Moon's archetype. First and foremost, I think it's safe to say there is no resistance in this world. Not because there isn't rebellion taking place in the throne room, but because of what came before. As Twilight said, "Because every present I come to is worse than the last!". And we went from a war torn world in a deadlock, to a world where the ponies lost and the resistance is in its final days. So it's a safe bet that Nightmare Moon's rule is absolute."

"Nightmare Moon is a much more aggressive ruler, the kind who wouldn't tolerate any threat, or allow one to develop unchecked. As a result, a lot of the threats that grew to endanger Celestia's rule would likely be stamped out. Discord's statue would be shattered and its dust scattered to the wind. The inmates of Tartarus may get loose, so better to take them out while they're weakened. A beam that gels the guards their throne would likely demand higher security, and even if a changeling were to sneak in, how much if a chance would it stand? The main point seems to be that an absence of freedom creates a realm where one needn't fear outside threats. I'd even wager that uprisings like  Starlight's cult would be dealt with swift and harsh."

Nightmare Moon has been shown to be more than capable of taking out any and all opposition, and the only difference between her and Luna is personality.

Between herself and Starlight, Luna is the more powerful of the two. Victory however, will be achieved by whomever is most determined, and whomever implements their abilities more effectively.

I think that Starlight would be the victor, although I personally would want Luna to win because I like her more than Starlight. One may think that alicorns are inherently more powerful than unicorns, but I do not. Whether one will be victorious over the other depends on the spells that they know and how proficient they are in casting them. Alicorns typically know stronger spells than unicorns, but that doesn't mean that unicorns aren't capable of learning those same spells. So, Starlight has shown that she knows a large amount of spells while Luna, on the other hand, has only been seen casting a few spells. Starlight also is very proficient in casting them, though Luna can proficiently cast some spells as well. In the end, I would say that Starlight is more powerful in the show's canon than Luna, but we haven't seen Luna's full potential in the show's canon either. It is like comparing a main character's power with a side character's power - the main character would likely be more powerful because they've had more spotlight time to reveal their potential. In other words, this is an unfair comparison.

Luna would win. She would use dream magic to confuse and upset Starlight into a breaking point. Starlight had had more inner issues than Luna in the actual show, so I cannot see Starlight defeat Luna. Also, both has an evil self, but they are shallow in comparison to the battles they are fighting as their good selves.

On 2/19/2023 at 1:02 AM, SharpWit said:

Firstly, she's an Alicorn Princess, Starlight's not.

And that is significant how? Twilight is too. But Starlight's magic was still stronger than hers.

She'll always have a naturally higher magical output.

Then how come Starlight was shown to be more powerful than Alicorn Twilight?

I'll refer to my military analogy from before.

Second, I'm going to take two excerpts from Silver Quill's video, After the Fact: Two Worlds, regarding an alternate timeline from The Cutie Re-Mark. 

Nightmare Moon has been shown to be more than capable of taking out any and all opposition, and the only difference between her and Luna is personality.

Between herself and Starlight, Luna is the more powerful of the two. Victory however, will be achieved by whomever is most determined, and whomever implements their abilities more effectively.

Nightmare Moon is obviously more powerful yes. But that's not what this topic is about. The topic is Luna VS Starlight, not Nightmare Moon VS Starlight. Unless this is an actual form Luna can access on her own, it shouldn't be allowed or count towards this fight. And no that's wrong. Nightmare Moon is obviously more powerful than normal Princess Luna. She has the feat of actually wounding Celestia in combat.

2 hours ago, Splashee said:

Luna would win. She would use dream magic to confuse and upset Starlight into a breaking point. Starlight had had more inner issues than Luna in the actual show, so I cannot see Starlight defeat Luna. Also, both has an evil self, but they are shallow in comparison to the battles they are fighting as their good selves.

Luna has never shown to be able to do this in the show. Starlight would have to be asleep first.