Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Display Name History Change

Jeric

Going forward users will not be able to see the display name history of a user on the profile. This is unfortunately a universal configuration. It’s all or nothing. I’ll actually be making a point to request Invision add a user option configuration in a future software release. I do rather prefer the account holder having control of this. 

There are pros and cons to both leaving the display visible or hidden and at the end of the day, hiding that detail does add a little more personal privacy of the user while also allowing us to better preserve the Cast Character initiative. Just wanted to let you know. 

And yes staff can still see the history. 

• Brohoof 7

Understandable.

This will definitely cause confusion since many members regularly change their names. It will be up to every follower to remember and take notice of name changes in their follower's user activity.

• Brohoof 2

11 hours ago, Jeric said:

Going forward users will not be able to see the display name history of a user on the profile.

I  get so confused when users change their display names, why not lock the name changing instead? :ooh: @Splashee

11 hours ago, Jeric said:

There are pros and cons to both leaving the display visible or hidden and at the end of the day, hiding that detail does add a little more personal privacy of the user while also allowing us to better preserve the Cast Character initiative. Just wanted to let you know. 

That's true. 

• Brohoof 3

20 hours ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I  get so confused when users change their display names, why not lock the name changing instead? :ooh: @Splashee

Quick answer is:
No. Too important feature. Many if not most users need to be able to change names regularly.

Long answer is:
It is confusing to keep up with other's name changes, however, it is one of the most important and popular feature of the forum: Users depend on being able to change their names and other attributes about themselves at regular intervals.

Usually when a feature is being disabled, it is because the forum software doesn't support it anymore, or an extension to the forum software is outdated. It is very rare that a modification is made just to fit MLP Forums.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

Why do they need to? 

There is no mandate that people change display names. ;)

If you are asking why users feel the drive to modify their display names, that is beyond the scope of this announcement. All I know is that it is popular, people enjoy it, and we use it for our donation drive to humorous effect. 

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Jeric said:

There is no mandate that people change display names. ;)

I meant  "Why would someone need to change the display name?". I don't think I've ever seen other forums with this option before.

I once changed my name from Treeglow Flicker to Treeglow Flicker. Good times.

No harm in the anomynity with the past display name changes. If ponyfolk change their names without any sort of announcement, then it just makes for a fantastic game of Guess Who: Equestria Edition.

I will actually be disappointed if that isn't actually a thing. :confused:

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I meant  "Why would someone need to change the display name?". I don't think I've ever seen other forums with this option before.

I know what you meant. My answer is the same. There is no need. Only a desire shared by enough people. Being able to change your display name is a common function in most software, and it’s by default a function in the software that powers MLPF. I look at it the same way as changing the avatar. I don’t pick my name or avatar for the benefit of anyone else, I do so because it’s something that I want to do. Whenever someone has told me that they wish I didn’t update my avatar, I thought that statement was absolutely ballsy of them to make. 

Anyway, almost every one of the top ten visited forums and only communities allow change of the member facing display or username. It’s by far more common that it isn’t, and almost expected by most users these days. The only time I would question someone changing their display name would be on LinkedIn, but that’s pretty apparent why changing your name there would strange since it’s supposed to match your IRL name. 

I apologize for being blunt, but it’s really nobody’s business what the motivation is. That’s the wonderful thing about whimsy. It can be for any reason or no reason at all. 

Also since I’ve been here … nearly 9 years now … I’ve seem some creepers who really don’t know how not to keep their distance when asked. If I can add a little cognitive dissonance to the stalky mcstalkersons out there, it’s been a good day for me. 

• Brohoof 2

53 minutes ago, Treeglow Flicker said:

I once changed my name from Treeglow Flicker to Treeglow Flicker. Good times.

4AD1355C-CC15-4EDB-BF8D-EFF297A6950B.png

Sorry I couldn’t resist. 

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

I apologize for being blunt, but it’s really nobody’s business what the motivation is. That’s the wonderful thing about whimsy. It can be for any reason or no reason at all. 

I’m sorry, too. I was just curious since this is the only forum I’ve been on where name changes happen frequently.

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

Also since I’ve been here … nearly 9 years now … I’ve seem some creepers who really don’t know how not to keep their distance when asked. If I can add a little cognitive dissonance to the stalky mcstalkersons out there, it’s been a good day for me. 

Yeah, I understand. 

• This topic was unpinned and unfeatured
  • 1 month later...

My input:

As a long time member who's been on hiatuseses...this is so confusing!

While the flexibility to change display names is welcome, inability to see the history is frustrating. I feel horrible seeing members I *think* I know but not sure...(uhm yeah, hi uh...who are you again?)

I deal with Invision myself, and while I love the CMS - it changes so rapidly it's very, very hard to maintain continuity with grown-in features. And custom tweaks...omfg...better keep good records and know thy code!

• Brohoof 3