Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S01:E46 - Sparky's Sick

Ashen Pathfinder

12 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

I love the controversy the fart joke is causing within the fandom :D

I know, it's like, guys, toilet humor is a staple of cartoons. You think even one of the greatest cartoons of all time was devoid of it? 

Also, notice how this is one of the most talked about Tell Your Tale episodes in a while...don't you think the show makers seeing this much conversation generated by one bathroom joke will make them feel encouraged to give us even more humor like this? 

• Brohoof 3

2 hours ago, Solar Power said:

What's Spike's dirty feet and Rainbow's revolting pie?

Don’t remember Dashie’s pie but Spike’s feet were at the beginning of Spike at your Service

• Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, Solar Power said:

What's Spike's dirty feet and Rainbow's revolting pie?

Explained below by Steve. Reiterating just for clarity, Season 3's Spike at Your Service.

large.png

27 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Don’t remember Dashie’s pie but Spike’s feet were at the beginning of Spike at your Service

.Season 7's Secrets and Pies.

7103b1630a7164c48ff7b1ea85aa8058.png

The irony in my defense of G5 here is that it is making me feel like the bigger G4 fan here. Not bragging, I am just oddly amused. 

• Brohoof 1

I think the difference between G4's gross out humor and G5's is just that G4 seemingly did it less often. There's only a couple of examples of it across 9 seasons. The Spike's feet joke, the gross pie, Baby Cakes, one or two instances of a pony really having to pee and a whoopee cushion joke is all I remember. Meanwhile this is already the third time I think we've had fart jokes in Tell your Tale. I do in fact remember some people complaining about the bits of toilet and gross-out humor in G4 when it happened but it wasn't really common enough to bother anyone much.

I don't mind toilet humor, I'm desensitized to it and can find it funny if the joke is good enough. I don't think it's funny in G5 but also am not majorly bothered by it, but it's probably the frequency of it that's annoying some people.

20 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Also, notice how this is one of the most talked about Tell Your Tale episodes in a while...don't you think the show makers seeing this much conversation generated by one bathroom joke will make them feel encouraged to give us even more humor like this?

:yeahno:

If they hate us enough, they could just go back to making G3.5 shorts.

I am still staying away from TYT because I don't like the art style (and don't want to contribute to views), but I was thinking about giving it a try since it had so many episodes compared to MYM that it is trying to compete against it. This episode changed my mind completely.
The toilet humor has never been fun for us grown ups, but it is a very popular things for children. It is the children that will decide if this is the humor going forward, and not us. They are the views.

5 hours ago, Splashee said:

:yeahno:

If they hate us enough, they could just go back to making G3.5 shorts.

I am still staying away from TYT because I don't like the art style (and don't want to contribute to views), but I was thinking about giving it a try since it had so many episodes compared to MYM that it is trying to compete against it. This episode changed my mind completely.
The toilet humor has never been fun for us grown ups, but it is a very popular things for children. It is the children that will decide if this is the humor going forward, and not us. They are the views.

I think you're misunderstanding the comment I made. It's not that they "hate us". The vast majority of the jokes in TYT are already not toilet jokes. However, if a toilet joke can get this many people talking about the show, it could encourage them to do more toilet jokes to help the show get more attention. 

And while yes, the children are indeed the target demographic...adult stuff has toilet humor in it too. Hi, Beavis and Butt-head, Family Guy, and South Park. There's no escape. :mlp_nom:

• Brohoof 1

On 2023-02-25 at 3:59 AM, BastementSparkle said:

I think the difference between G4's gross out humor and G5's is just that G4 seemingly did it less often. There's only a couple of examples of it across 9 seasons. The Spike's feet joke, the gross pie, Baby Cakes, one or two instances of a pony really having to pee and a whoopee cushion joke is all I remember. Meanwhile this is already the third time I think we've had fart jokes in Tell your Tale. I do in fact remember some people complaining about the bits of toilet and gross-out humor in G4 when it happened but it wasn't really common enough to bother anyone much.

I don't mind toilet humor, I'm desensitized to it and can find it funny if the joke is good enough. I don't think it's funny in G5 but also am not majorly bothered by it, but it's probably the frequency of it that's annoying some people.

What are the two other instances of pooty humour?

Edited by okapillon

Not gonna lie, I thought most of the episodes lately were mediocre, this one is definitely one of the worst TYT episodes so far as far as I am concerned. I don't think anything important plot related will happen until the next chapter in MYM so I don't expect anything particularly interesting from misty and Opaline until then. Also, yeah I think they are overdoing the toilet humor with sparky at this point. 

On 2023-02-28 at 5:18 PM, Splashee said:

What episode is that from? And also, who is that bat?

His name is Echo, one of the Wildsiders

I’ve just remembered this :oh_golly:

image.gif.d53d30c2e77387e8bada598b6473c9ac.gif

• Brohoof 1

Honestly; I didn't think the episode was that bad, or even that mediocre. Yeah, it's far from the greatest, but in the end...it was just cute fun.

Yeah, could've done without the fart joke, but that's a meh thing to me. Poor Misty tho. D:

• Brohoof 1

On 2/27/2023 at 9:55 PM, Solar Power said:

Those instances aren't crude in the same way that the fart joke in Sparky's Sick was.

They are doubling down on the crude/gross aspect of the lowbrow jokes, but that happens in many shows with time, the crude humor gets cruder. 

2 hours ago, Ashen Pathfinder said:

Honestly; I didn't think the episode was that bad, or even that mediocre. Yeah, it's far from the greatest, but in the end...it was just cute fun.

Yeah, could've done without the fart joke, but that's a meh thing to me. Poor Misty tho. D:

Yeah, it's not terrible or well below average, it's just alright. Formulaic, flawed, and doesn't really feel worth the two-week wait, but fair-quality. 

Sparky might be the worst character in the entire MLP franchise.

And before you say, "Svengallop" or "Spoiled Rich", I can think of 2 reasons why Sparky is worse:

1) At least Svengallop and Spoiled Rich were only in a couple of episodes, and Svengallop was ultimately a throwaway character who didn't affect the story, and Spoiled Rich became essentially a background character after her debut. Sparky is in nearly every episode, and is VERY important to the story due to his connection to Hitch and his dragonfire being a source of power for Opaline.

2) Svengallop and Spoiled Rich are characters who are SUPPOSED to be hated, and they fill their roles very well. Sparky is supposed to be cute and endearing, and he fails miserably at that role.

I'm not one to be above lowbrow toilet humor, but the issue here I feel is that these kinds of jokes feel out of place for something like MLP(in the rare instances when FiM did it, I hated it when they did it there too)

At this point someone needs to take video from this episode and edit in audio from Terrance and Phillip from South Park.

We're getting pretty close to that point after this.