Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Expand/collapse toggle for displaying status replies

Splashee

With the new upgrade comes the new feature that all those other social media sites uses, hide people's content that is:

readmore.png

So what is so good about having to do an extra click on that hard to see "read more"?

Spoiler

Of course Invision has the perfect solution to this, buy their extended stuff:
https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/7681-enhanced-status-updates-widget/

My hope is that this feature (annoyance) can be customized to be removed so that our members can show their full statuses to the world, and keep this the best social media platform.

• Brohoof 2

I moved this to Feedback as it is working as intended (WAI).

This is a UX feature that has been ubiquitous in design since Bootstrap, and it's a class most have memorized that use it. 

Read More

Making users click to see content for a myriad of reasons is something that forums have embraced for decades, and its a feature completely in control of the end user. People get annoyed by this too. I just shrug it off as one of the many small differences of opinions the end-user and web dev community have. 

But my only point of contention and the only reason I replied here is that Michael.J does not work for Invision, and Invision Community does not sell a way to bypass this design philosophy of theirs. It's a third party plug-in that hooks into the existing php to make some changes. You linked to a DevFuse modification. Invision has numerous issues with how they monetize the platform, but this is not one of those issues. DevFuse actually built of of our applications we have installed. Auto Welcome. 

FWIW, I could probably bypass this in Themes if this is done with a simple class like Bootstrap. 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if they are implementing features no one asked for, they could at least make sure it flippin' works lmao. e-twiwth.png.5878ad773cfe0efaf9dc8dc75763160a.png

When statuses are long enough, they become "truncated", having a fixed height attribute set. Clicking "read more" plays the epic expand animation where the height attribute is being increased, eventually removed altogether, meaning the status no longer has a fixed height, it just takes as much space as needed to display contents.

Now what happens if visible content is shorter than what is expected to be "long enough" AND contains a spoiler that has content making the status be "long enough" after revealing it?

2023-03-09_05-39-50.thumb.png.07bce2a8d26ab3a4dde1dab5940e1a02.png

LE CONFUSIONERA OF DA FORUMES (idk)

Apparently it doesn't account, that the contents are hidden and it "thinks", that the status is long enough to be truncated, except there's literally nothing past the spoiler. That alone is... MEH, but acceptable, I guess.

But now, here's a thing...

When you reveal the spoiler and then click "read more" to see it all, everything works correctly as described at the beginning.

But what happens when you click "read more" without revealing the spoiler?

The forums are like e-kirinwoah.png.7a6c6d7c0293d7e6c5b0c00957c48fff.png and the function doesn't work properly, as the truncated status already shows everything, so there's no reason to increase its height. As a result, the function is like

e-bigangery.gif.f46e3888b42483d4fbc643247a93206a.gif -{ damn i was bamboozled )

and leaves the chat. The "read more" button is gone, and the status still has its fixed height and therefore, it's stuck at that height and doesn't expand as you reveal the spoiler generating this:

2023-03-09_05-58-54.thumb.png.28bf035364ac94e49b94a50c76326d52.png

DE LEAKERITAS FROM STATUSERO (some more alien language i guess)

The "read more" button falsely informs there's more non-spoilered content and when I'm browsing the status feed I kinda automatically start clicking "read more" before even starting reading, which breaks if the visible content happens to be not long enough. Upon revealing the spoiler afterwards, the contents overflow and hide under status comments, meaning you can't really see it. Once bumped into that, page refresh is required.

So, not only you need to be a sniper and noscope "read more" as you scroll through statuses, you also need to be good at bomb disposal to reveal contents without nuking your screen. e-twiwth.png.5878ad773cfe0efaf9dc8dc75763160a.png

The exact same problem happens with quotes, that contain a spoiler, which was reported earlier btw.

Why I'm posting this? Not even Celestia knows, but let's have it be known while we're at this.

Since this is a feedback topic, I just wanted to drop that personally I'm not really a fan of this expand thing there, and that some other users do not like this either. :lookup:

• Brohoof 1