Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Inaccessible/Lost Media You Wish You Could Recover?

Luna the Great of all the Russias

Are there pieces of media that you wish you could recover/access? These can be either digital or non-digital, they can either be someone well-known to be lost or something that is more personal to you, they may be truly lost or perhaps they still exist and are readily accessible but you personally do not know where to find it, etc.

• Brohoof 2

Certain old Youtube videos I saw when I was a kid, whether it be silly comedy skits or speedpaints, which are often deleted if the uploader feels like they don't represent them anymore. I would simply love to watch them again for old time's sake.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

A video tape I recorded of my grandmother, a very old lady (she was 98 or 99 at the time, she died one month before her 100th birthday) and the daughter of that lady. We were visiting them and I just filmed them talking. Sadly, the tape got used to film a vacation video and all that remains of the recording is probably less than a minute right at the end of the tape. None of the three women I filmed are with us anymore, it would have been so nice to have the full tape of them talking.

Another is a funny song that I recorded of my friend singing on my PDA. I then copied it to my PC and also, I think, recorded it to a CD, but I cannot find it on the PC or the PDA and I think the CD. has degraded beyond recovery. 

An audio tape of some wedding musicians - I accidentally recorded over it. All that remains is, I think, a part of the song that was playing during my birthday one time dad was filming us. I actually have a chance to have it, since it was released at some number of copies, so maybe I'll find another copy at some time when I buy used tapes.

Edited by Pentium100
  • Brohoof 1

There is a game I used to play when I was a kid online. I don't remember the name of it, nor the website. It was some sort of game where you were on a 2d asteroid and there was a whale on the asteroid, I remember the music in the game. Was quite odd, but enjoyable.

Another game I remember was some sort of flash game about a penguin going into space, and you'd rank up rocket parts each time you went through it - getting higher and higher, until you'd reach the moon and complete the game.

(edited)

Marvel Vs Capcom 2 on modern platforms. Was on PS3/360 for a short time before getting delisted. Unless you wanna get it through nefarious means, only way to get it now are dropping $150+ for a second hand copy on ebay, or $600 for the 1up arcade cabinet

Simpsons the Arcade Game. Like MvC2, it Was only on PS3/360 for a short period before getting delisted. It was the only time the game was ever available outside the arcade

Edited by Megas

I wrote a full 82,000 word manuscript about eleven years ago with many revisions just to actually say I could complete a novel. It was saved on one of 30 different drives I have. Unfortunately, after years of searching I still haven'd found it. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Ironically, the lost media (Youtube videos) that lead me to post this thread... one of them was not lost at all, and the other I have since found again.

One of them involves users giving a bad tempered Romanian a hard time. It should be noted that such country-based humor is abundant among players of Europa Universalis IV, Hearts of Iron IV, and other Paradox grand strategy games (the user that uploaded this video plays such games regularly).

Spoiler

Another is a short story told by an old Turkish man on the early years after having migrated to the USA, trying to find some place that serves a salad with lamb brains. It turns out that the video has been unlisted for unknown reasons.

Spoiler

Edited by Luna the Great of all the Russias
  • Brohoof 1

I'm sure there's plenty of writing I no longer have, back before I was careful about backing up everything. I remember I wrote a short script once that was particularly good, but I'd have to dig through all my stuff to see if I saved it anywhere. There's also a decent amount of childhood photos and videos I've probably lost over time.

• Brohoof 1

16 hours ago, Props ValRoa said:

Another game I remember was some sort of flash game about a penguin going into space, and you'd rank up rocket parts each time you went through it - getting higher and higher, until you'd reach the moon and complete the game.

Learn To Fly, Learn To Fly 2 and Learn To Fly 3?

There was a comedic song called "Lellow Lamp" on YouTube about a guy that loves his lamp only for it to be abusive towards him I think? It's weirdly specific and used to be easy to find but I think it's gone forever. Managed to find it posted on another site once but it couldn't play and had no additional information, piece of childhood gone.

Another is my final project about the war in Afghanistan for my AP Government Class. I wasn't a very good student, but I stayed up for 3 nights straight to complete it, also had 30 something sources which was 3 times more than anyone else in class, not to mention another dozen from my partner. Even used some declassified documents for it and my teacher learned some things he hadn't known. Got an A and was so proud of it. It was all digital and when I graduated I hadn't saved it off of my school Google drive which was deleted. :(

I wish the video games "Air Mech Arena" and "Defiance 2050" were recoverable and had offline modes. Both games were shut down, and I think it was because of financial reasons. They are examples of what happens to old online-only games.

(edited)
  • There was a fanficton on fanficton.net in which Sidney Poindexter has a brother with bipolar disorder who was his "worst bully" who beat him up to death on graduation.
  • There was a wiki which I think was called DSM wiki which was basically the DSM but in wiki form which was probably deleted because of inactivity considering there was only one user who ever contributed to it (not me by the way).
Edited by Theautisticrebel
It turns those The Music Freaks fan videos I mentioned weren't lost at all fortunately.

• 2 weeks later...

Digital: I lost a videotape I shot of my cousin singing at a Christmas pageant years ago. It was some of the greatest singing I’ve ever heard (she’s incredibly talented) but it’s gone.

Non-digital: I wrote a very short Valentine’s day poem many years ago and it got lost. I tried to rewrite it with some success but I’d still like to have the original. Also My brother wrote a series of insanely funny sci-fi stories; naughty but hilarious, and he threw them out because he thought they were too naughty for posterity. That was a great loss. Art of any kind needs to be preserved and it’s terrible when it isn’t.

It’d be nice if more of Gex Jr would get leaked. I loved the Gex games growing up and it was really cool seeing the prototype level from the scrapped Gex Jr game that leaked about a year ago. I’d love to see more from it if there was anything else. Whether it’s more gameplay footage of another prototype level or concept art. Would the main villain have be Rez Jr? Would all of the levels had been based off of childhood cartoons?  It’s a shame they scrapped it because I think this would have breathed a new life into the series. 

I just happened to find my very floppy disk! Sadly I have no way to open it. I’m pretty sure I remember saving some of my old essay from middle school and some pictures.:ButtercupLaugh:

• 4 weeks later...

I remember a Flash cartoon from the early- to mid-2000s that involved a short man who vaguely resembled a Matrix character -- with sunglasses and black long coat -- who repeatedly attempts to ride a roller coaster but keeps getting literally thrown out -- by this big husky man possibly with moustache -- because he is too short. At one point, he manages to ride it, but the husky man chases him with a rollercoaster car that is just behind him on the track.

I think this animation begins with a zooming in on the entrance of the park, with the narrator speaking in a creepy manner -- as one may do when telling a horror story (though this animation was comedic and not at all horror in tone) -- and at one point, I think, he says "The Rollercoaster of Doom!" However, when searching for "Rollercoaster of Doom", I have only found irrelevant results. I suspect this animation must exist somewhere, possibly on Newgrounds or other Flash sites. Either I remembered the title incorrectly, or its name is "Rollercoaster of Doom" but it is such a generic title that it is difficult to find it.

image.png.82c5d6c0cb5d5ab6ef166ad25e7a6a77.png

The short Matrix-esque man may have looked something like this.

I may or may not post in here a few times. I can't remember every piece of pop culture media that has become lost media over time. So if I remember something, I'll post it here. But there is one thing I always remember, and I wish I could find it, but finding it is impossible...

It's actually two things, and they aren't pop culture. They are fan creations.

One is a fan song about the Powerpuff Girls (based on the OG show, not the reboot). This was the late 90's, so people weren't making MP3's or YouTube videos or anything. The song was a MIDI file; it was a slow and sentimental song. The author posted lyrics separately. What makes this song hard to find is the fan song was titled "Powerpuff Girl" (singular, no S). I can't even remember the lyrics. All I remember is one line, which went something like this: "I believe in you, but do you believe in yourself? Powerpuff Girl." I don't remember the rest, and search engines just get confused if I try to find it.
The second song is a fan remix of background music. The song was called "Bubbles Crayonix" by JayDee. The fandom stopped sharing the song when a similar song appeared on an official Powerpuff Girls soundtrack, however, I still think this fan remix was good on its own. I found a copy of it on through Internet archives, but the copy I have is incomplete. It abruptly cuts off.

The chances of me finding these two things are EXTREMELY slim at this point. However, not impossible. At least, I don't think so.

Edited by Samurai Equine

On 2023-03-01 at 9:32 PM, Luna the Great of all the Russias said:

Are there pieces of media that you wish you could recover/access? These can be either digital or non-digital, they can either be someone well-known to be lost or something that is more personal to you, they may be truly lost or perhaps they still exist and are readily accessible but you personally do not know where to find it, etc.

Funny that until a few days ago, I was looking for an animated show I saw as a very young kid. Thankfully, my search is over :yay:. It was a Russian animation, explaining why it was so difficult to find in the first place, tho :scoots:

Edited by Steve Piranha