Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

resolved Aligning text is glitchy

Props Valroa
Go to solution Solved by Jeric,

For some reason the alignment of text is glitchy. I can't move it back to left align, and clicking to center align doesn't work most of the time. It is almost unusuable. I hope someone can look into this.

image.png

@Props ValRoa Try turning off @Rikifive's MLPForums Plus mod. See if it works using the normal site's theme.

I have tried to select text with touch screen, centered and left adjusted without problem. Same on desktop. Normal site theme without any code injection seems to work fine. I sense this could be related to @Rikifive's code, so he might be able to fix it for you.

• Brohoof 1

Every test I’ve done shows it’s working as expected on both active themes.  Uninstall any third party plugins that interact with the site, close the browser. Open the browser. Clear cache. Close the browser. Try again. 

Process to clearing cache can be different for each browser 

That's why I've put a note in my topic to always disable my plugin first before reporting issues. That way you can check if you should blame Rikifive or to not blame Rikifive. e-twiwth.png.5878ad773cfe0efaf9dc8dc75763160a.png Using my plugin obviously sets me as the first target. :ButtercupLaugh:

Either way, I can't seem to be able to encounter that issue myself (neither with plugin and without). It just works for me and spamming these buttons doesn't break anything, I can continue aligning things however I want.

I asked someone else using my plugin, things work for them as well, which is as expected, because I haven't modified the editor besides coloring it.

It has to be something else... Does it always happen? After some time? With specific content in the editor or something? Anything I could try to reproduce the issue?

• Brohoof 1

@Props ValRoa

Hmm this is odd, hard to tell anything remotely. It may indeed be something within browser itself causing that. Do other buttons work normally?

Maybe check if it works in a different browser if you have one (like Edge if you're on Windows), if it does work there, that has to be browser, in which case try clearing cache and the like like Jeric mentioned.

• Brohoof 1

@Props ValRoa Which is making the difference, ticking my plugin off or disabling the entire extension?

I'll install Vivaldi on my laptop the testing boi™ to investigate.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Apparently it's the browser itself.

Fresh intall, I didn't do anything, just went straight to mlpf after browser installation and literally the first time i tried to align content it didn't do so.

What's more, it's not just the align buttons, but the entire toolbar.

Sometimes these button work, sometimes they don't. For some reason when you click any of the buttons in the toolbar, sometimes it deselects the editor and ignores the button function.

For example;

Normally: you can type some text, press the bold button and simply continue typing in bold.

Now in Vivaldi: sometimes when I press the bold button

---yeah, it deselects the editor and when i try to press space, the entire page shifts down as if I pressed [page down]. I had to click the text editor to put my text cursor back here and continue typing-- and it didn't apply bold.

Also, normally, even if you click out of the editor, the moment you press any button in the toolbar it selects the editor so you can instantly type with the format/function you've pressed.

And Vivaldi, doesn't give a hay, bUUUt if the buttons do happen to stop working, you can click outside the editor (for it to no longer have the pink outline) and then press the button, the function normally triggers and you're put back in the editor.

So like, if you highlight a word you want to make bold, and then pressing the bold button doesn't work, click outside the editor and then click the button. The initial selection will remain and you'll apply bold to the highlighted word. Same goes with other buttons. Aligning doesn't work? Click outside then click the button, current line / highlighted content will be aligned.

Well, that would just be a not very convenient workaround...

What is causing it, I'm not sure. I've noticed, that in Vivaldi you can kinda highlight the buttons in the toolbar and it highlights the space before icon. Nothing like this can be done in Chrome, for example, these buttons are absolutely not "highlight-able", so to speak. Not that it necessarily has to be related to the issue, but it's just a quirk I've noticed.

Otherwise I don't know, the console isn't throwing any errors, things work, but just not always. And I think how you click these buttons matters. It's not 100% consistent, but clicking in the middle of the button seems to glitch more often than clicking corners. And the issue is less likely to happen when you press the button while having the cursor completely still - if you click and drag the button a bit (like if you'd try to highlight the button's icon), it seems to always break for me, which is not the case in Chrome. In Chrome I can click the button like a drunk monke after banana cocktail and everything still works. Like, I can click the button on its left side, slide cursor to its right side and release the mouse button - function normally triggers, whereas doing the same in vivaldi highlights the icon and breaks. Well in Chrome I can even click the button, take my mouse cursor for a walk, slide it back on the button and release mouse button - everything still works and the formatting is applied.

Welp, I can't seem to find the source of the problem, but at least one thing is clear, it's not my plugin nor the extension alright. e-twiwth.png

Edited by Rikifive
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
  • Brohoof 1

--- The @Rikipedia has spoken ---

@Props ValRoa When did you start using this browser? Are you sure it used to work earlier (before forum upgrade) in this browser? From what I see, that browser itself received few updates this year, so who knows, maybe they changed something and it just happened to be a coincidence that they aligned timing with forum upgrade...

• Brohoof 1

All I know is since I use Atlassian products at work, Vivaldi has been a no go for a while. One of them is allergic to the other! Much RAM very break!!!

Note to all is that I’m going to mark this as answered because it’s been reported quite a few times that the Invision Community’s implementation of CKEditor does not like Vivaldi which is exactly what’s happening here. 

@Props ValRoa for your edification since you aren’t a developer, the software for the forum basically licenses a editor made by another company and modified it for use with Invision. Whatever they did makes it buggy on the more enthusiast focused browsers like Vivaldi, which I agree is a shame. To be a little fair to them, in my company we never run testing on Vivaldi either. We build for internal stakeholders (clients) and none of them can use that browser on company hardware anyway. 

• Brohoof 1