Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think the 28 stars on the Equestria flag represent?

sonata_fluff

I initially thought they could be representative of the Unicorns that were directly in charge of raising the sun and moon, but that's underrepresentative of the different races.

Then I thought with a lot of seriousness, that it could be the original number of delegates that attended the grand summit of the three pony tribes to discuss the issue/root cause of the blizzard in Season 2, Episode 11, "Hearth's Warming Eve which at the end also shows us the Equestrian flag for the flvery first time. That event would also very likely be the precursor to the Grand Equestrian Pony Summit we see in Season 5, Episode 10, "Princess Spike", which then hosts over 50 delegates, among them a Griffon, showing just how inclusive and diverse the nation has become since its founding, even prior to the heavy influx of other sentient species in the latter half of the series.

But there's a catch!

That 28 starred flag isn't the Equestrian Flag. This 41 starred one is. :sealed:

image.thumb.png.e5e296607f220c04c5264c1271c1aa12.png

And this simple diagram I found on Google images shows something that makes a lot of sense given the presence of the Royal sisters.

image.thumb.png.e57572c770a8da0db1526bcb231aafe2.png

The blue background representing the day, and the stars representing the night. It's so straight forward, that I don't think I can personally interpret it differently now, and this is only aided by how random some of the star placement is.

• Brohoof 3

As far as I was able to check, in the show the flag always has 41 stars, 19 in the top part and 22 in the bottom part. In this case one of the stars is on Celestia's wing, but the total number is the same:

2518391.png

So the number 41 seems to be important here, perhaps there are 41 regions of Equestria, so it's like the stars representing the states on the US flag.

• Brohoof 1

This thread appears to be discussing MLP:FiM in some way, shape or form. Thus, it has been sentenced to Show Discussion.

• Brohoof 1

33 minutes ago, SharpWit said:

@Splashee @Silly Druid

Pegasus flag has 41 stars as well, but the Unicorn flag has only 40 diamonds, and technically Earth Ponies have just the 1 with the sun?

I'm not sure what it means, perhaps the Pegasi and Unicorns had claims to mosty the same territory, but the Unicorns wanted to leave Earth Ponies alone in one region?

• Brohoof 1