Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What sort of community were you raised in?

Reecejackox

My parents would often argue about stuff. Was like that since I could remember. Oh well. At least no one was drinking, smoking or doing drugs.

• Brohoof 1

I was a bit of a traveler so I've been in many types of communities. Some, lovely, some... not so lovely. But the community I reside in today is much nicer. Peaceful. Not as chaotic as, say, New York City where I was born.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Princess Silky said:

I was a bit of a traveler so I've been in many types of communities. Some, lovely, some... not so lovely. But the community I reside in today is much nicer. Peaceful. Not as chaotic as, say, New York City where I was born.

That's incredible with you being a traveler:fluttershy:  I can never imagine living in New York City:scoots:  I'm guessing you still live there.  

• Brohoof 1

I was born to Upstate New Yorker parents in a German community in Pennsylvania. Lived there until I was 3, then moved around a bit, then moved to where I am now. There is no community I feel apart of, in this place that I live in. My family was never really one for friends or get togethers. 

Hm aside from my school( completely different story) I could describe but can’t seem to find the right word to describe it. It’s nice but not too nice, while at the same, not too bad. It’s just descent. A little here and there to come around while making troubles for the hell of it and laughs because it’s boring within my community sometime. Not exciting enough. Apparently the community likes to keep things settled, and now got me into it too. 

• Brohoof 1

When I was little, I lived in what almost felt like country. That isn't true, it wasn't rural. It just was towards the edge of town. In my early teens they built a Walmart down a mile or two and things changed. Like we used to have land with horses over there, but now there's a bank and shopping strip there.

So... It felt kinda small. Even though we are a suburb and near a larger city.

The community is hyper religious and everything else undesirable that comes with that. I was waaayyyy too scared to tell anyone about my orientation in my teens. It was a hostile place to grow up in. You have the so-called Southern "niceness", but let me tell you, it's all fake. Every single bit of it. It's just so forced and it irritates the heck out of me.

Despite all of that, I feel lucky that I was born into my family, who is a bit different from the norm around here. I had struggles with them, but thank goodness they're level-headed and down-to-earth on most things... which a lot of people around here are not. I am scared to think of how I'd been raised by any other family in this community.

I grew up in the country, though I lived in a place where there were some houses nearby, so it wasn't completely isolated. The community was nice. It wasn't very bad, and I knew a lot of people there since many of them went to the church I went to.

My parents split when I was about 7, so I effectively grew up in two households after that point. I mainly lived with my mum in what a lot of people say is the worst area in the state and we were rather poor as a whole. Was being bullied in school too, so that always made me feel isolated, so I never really felt like I was apart of a community. I guess that feeling stuck, because even now, I still don't really feel like I'm part of a community.

10 hours ago, ZiggWheelsManning said:

To be honest, I'm not socially aware of my community:sunny:  

same here i grew up on the internet I never experienced what being in a community is like only recently a little bit but that is over I never felt part of anything my whole life anyway 

I grew up bouncing around all over the country; Pennsylvania, Virginia, Massachusetts, Oregon, Nevada, the Midwest and California. Each place had its own signature but the community seldom had any bearing on me. I was young when I lived in the east and I was only aware of my immediate surroundings, which was trees, road, house, and that’s about it. When I moved to the west and reached the age of reason, I found Oregon to be a boring California-wannabe and a lot of stuck-up people. Nevada was deliciously anonymous; no one took notice of anyone else (unless they were robbing them), the Midwest was 100% total shit; lazy, good-for-nothing assholes with no work ethic and no interest in anything but fishing and getting drunk. California, while I love it here, has the worst specimens of humanity on earth. It wasn’t always this way, but once the woke infected the world, the weak-minded (Californians in general) were the first to jump in with both feet. The bigger the city, the more malleable and hive-minded the populace I  guess.

• 7 months later...

Little neighbourhood with angry screeching neighbours, occasional kids yelling for no reason, random 4 year olds wandering around with their friends unsupervised, you'll always find these kids playing cricket or some random smoking drunkard. My house and family was is great though. I am extremely relieved that I haven't been raised by my classmates' parents.

I mostly have grown up on the Internet

Edited by Hyper Star

Poor and run down. Considered one of the worst places to live in my entire state and you can see why. Getting older I’ve seen quite a lot of my graduating class end up in jail for drugs. It’s a huge problem around here. Just a few weeks ago there were some people on my fb mourning the loss of a 10 year old who died from heroin. (Wasn’t their kid. Their kids was friends with that one). People from the surrounding towns tend to talk shit if they find out your from mine. Some people forget that not everyone has the luxury to grow up infancy neighborhoods and towns. Really just keep your nose down, don’t flaunt what you have, mind your own business , stay out of certain parts and you’ll be fine. Now my family is doing well financially, whereas as we weren’t growing up. They moved to a safer part of town…about five/six years ago. You’ll see a lot of sad stuff here that will make you appreciate what you have.