Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

web Annoying Youtube-isms

Luna the Great of all the Russias

(edited)

Are there some things that Youtubers do or aspects of Youtube in general that annoy you?

For myself, these are some things that come to mind:

These types of thumbnails:

image.thumb.png.8fd18531e23067d1b75d3fb4f9369c0c.png

Also, the following points:

• The title has the words "here's why" (also applies to news articles).
  • The Youtuber is speaking slowly, repeats himself, and/or makes use of many filler words that arbitrarily extends the video to about 10 minutes.
  • Animation of a cursor clicking the like, subscribe and bell button playing mid-video.
    • Even worse if there is sound, and repeats multiple times.
  • Telling the viewer to subscribe because only 0.5% or some small percentage of their viewers are subscribers.
  • Youtube Shorts. It should be deleted.
  • If I made this thread about 12 years ago, I would also mention the "Reply Girls", but they are fortunately gone and largely forgotten.
Edited by Luna the Great of all the Russias
  • Brohoof 2

Obnoxious thumbnails from reactionary youtubers. The ones you see from the "anti-woke" crowd are some of the absolute worse

• Brohoof 2

What annoys me about youtube and the internet and general is that there is so much pointless drama. People who you think are mature and cool headed - turn out to just be children.

• Brohoof 3

When Youtubers are so obviously trying to pad out the video, that really annoys me. If you want to get your video up to 10 minutes, that's fine, but there are ways of doing it that doesn't make it frustrating for the viewer.

Also drama generally makes me roll my eyes. It could be sorted out in private, but nooo, let's make it into a public back and forth. You're not in high school anymore. Grow up.

• Brohoof 2

I am not one to complain, but I have to voice one thing...

Raid:Shadow Legends and other sponsorships of that kind. It is obvious attempt to counter premium accounts most of which are bought to avoid ads. Sometimes these "messages from sponsors" or whatever can even be 2-3 minutes long. It's very obnoxious and while it can be skipped... that's a tedious thing to do. 

I understand of course that channels themselves are given money to do this, but I also pay money to NOT have to watch ads. Especially ads of some annoying mobile game that relies on predatory microtransactions like Raid Shadow Legends does. 

6 hours ago, Props Valroa said:

What annoys me about youtube and the internet and general is that there is so much pointless drama. People who you think are mature and cool headed - turn out to just be children.

Honestly, what a lot of people don't realize is that we are "children" for our entire lives. I've seen plenty of "dramas" of adult people, both online and in person. They rarely are any different from what I saw in high school. 

• Brohoof 3

The click baits are still running supreme. We have top lists with things “you don’t know”. Yes, you might not know them, but how does the YouTuber know you don’t know them?, but even if you don’t think you know, it is a trap to watch them.

Telling the viewer that this video (from the future, how can they?) only gets x amount of subscribers but y number of views, so you should subscribe.

Bringing up Patreon. It doesn’t matter if the channel is just reviewing a movie they don’t have the rights to, doing zero commentary on top of that. They still ask for money like street music performers.

YouTube themselves doing videos that are misleading, like the AI one a few years back with Tony Stark as host, said nothing about AI and only promoted (the one who paid the most for the spot) business, and still, endless of comments saying “this is the best I am ever seen. I know know what AI is”…

Which leads me to the last one, the comments saying “this is the best explanation about a certain subject/topic”. I have seen so many bad videos that are obviously trying to confuse the viewer, so that they must watch more of their videos, meaning more money. The comments show it is working.

• Brohoof 2

Here's what I find to be annoying practices on YouTube. There are more, but these are the main ones that bother me.

To begin with, clickbait videos are particularly annoying to me. There are two forms of clickbait - thumbnail and video title clickbait. Both are essentially the same, except with the major difference being that one involves an image while the other involves text. Both also are equally annoying because they are misleading and specifically designed to lure viewers into clicking on the video.

Another practice on YouTube that bothers me is over-exaggerations on video titles and thumbnails. I'm not exactly referring to clickbait videos, but rather, videos that lure viewers in through over-exaggerations. Such examples are having ALL CAPS TITLES or an image of the YouTuber having an overexaggerated facial expression on the thumbnail.

Large arrows that point toward something obvious in the thumbnail are also annoying. I can clearly see it, and there's no need to have an arrow that points to it for emphasis.

I saved this for last since I'm going to elaborate more on it than I have done on the others. So, the "like, subscribe, and enable notifications" method of increasing popularity and income is also bothersome. It's typical for a viewer to complain about this, but it needs to be brought up regardless. So, it is bothersome to most viewers because of overuse, but to me, it goes further than that. It is bothersome to me not only because of its overuse, but also because of its ineffectiveness and unoriginality. Regarding ineffectiveness, I argue that the video's content is what causes a viewer to like and subscribe rather than directly telling viewers to do so. No one needs a reminder to "like" a Tweet on Twitter or post on Reddit, so why should YouTube be any different? While the like and subscribe method is prominent, that doesn't mean it is effective. I think its prominence is a result of overuse and misconceptions. Small and normal YouTubers see big YouTubers use it, so they think it's effective when it's really not. Because of this, many YouTubers copy the big YouTubers regarding like and subscribe methods, and it forms a chain reaction that causes even more YouTubers to use it. As for unoriginality, it is quite bland for a YouTuber to use the like and subscribe method. While many YouTubers add their own uniqueness to it, the overall concept of it is nothing original. In the end, the "like subscribe, and enable notifications" method is a very annoying "YouTube-ism" for most viewers.

That's all that I'm going to mention for now. I should also say, before I end, that there are some instances where what I mentioned above don't bother me. For example, say that a video has an "all caps title". In certain instances, it wouldn't be bothersome should it be used properly. So basically, I'm speaking in the general sense when I say that certain practices on YouTube bother me, because there are certain situations where they might not be annoying to me. Also, for clarification, I am not saying that YouTubers who use such practices are bad or that the YouTubers themselves annoy me; rather, I am saying that the practices themselves are what are annoying to me.

• Brohoof 1

It's annoying but I'm not gonna give youtubers grief for plugging patreon and sponsors or saying "like, comment and subscribe", people gotta make ends meet. There generally more harmless than other trends

• Brohoof 2

Yes.

It really, really annoys me when a YouTube creator brings a guest into their video. The best way I can put this is: I come to your channel to watch you, not them.

I just feel like the guest is completely unnecessary and makes the video much less enjoyable for me? 

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)
On 2023-04-04 at 10:45 PM, Props Valroa said:

On 2023-04-05 at 5:36 AM, Sir Hugsalot said:

Honestly, what a lot of people don't realize is that we are "children" for our entire lives. I've seen plenty of "dramas" of adult people, both online and in person. They rarely are any different from what I saw in high school. 

I will give a slight defense to drama. They can be good if you are looking to be entertained by something. I take on the attitude that all Youtube drama is true because I do not think it is worth putting effort into thinking critically about such thing. It is for when you are cognitively exhausted, and wish to be entertained by something stupid.

• Brohoof 2

Oh I hate it when I watch a YouTube video and then they just give me a fecking documentary for a commercial :dry:

Edited by RDDash
  • Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, RDDash said:

Oh I hate it when I watch a YouTube video and then they just give me a fecking documentary for a commercial :dry:

Something similar I dislike, a documentary-like intro to get to the main subject of the video. >_>

6 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

Something similar I dislike, a documentary-like intro to get to the main subject of the video. >_>

For me, these were not a problem for me, say, a decade ago when this type of video was far more uncommon. But in the present, I already know about, for example, the origin of Nintendo as at least 100 other videos have already mentioned it. If Nintendo's origin is part of the main subject of the video, then that makes sense. But if the video is about, for example, the history of speedrunning Super Mario Bros., then I do not wish to hear about where Nintendo came from (again); this strikes me as padding (albeit a more sophisticated form).

• Brohoof 2

Another thing I dislike on Youtube videos is loud cutaway "jokes".

You're watching a video and they're talking normally and then they add a LOUD two second clip.

Edited by Sparklefan1234

(edited)

This is an example of a video that annoyed me to such an extent that I stopped watching it part of the way. The fact that the video is about 10 minutes long makes me notably more stringent. These are the points:

• 0:00 - 1:00: Unnecessary introduction. This should be deleted.
  • 1:25 - 1:46: The personal anecdote does not provide the viewer any useful information on the company. It should be deleted.
  • 1:46 - 2:50: Could have condensed this entire section to simply say that they charge a notably higher price than other sellers.
  • 3:02 - 3:10: Do not promote yourself in the middle of the video. This single point has maade the video immensely more obnoxious.
  • 4:13 - 4:18: This is the point where I leave the video, and I have lost whatever interest I may have had in seeing this Youtubers' other videos. As with the Discord promotion, I find the subscription animation to be immensely obnoxious. The closest to a positive point I can make here is that there are no sound effects being played. 

I'm not really a fan of Youtubers asking you to like their video or subscribe. It's common sense really. If I enjoy your content, I'll subscribe. :mlp_nom:

Well, I feel like I have to like people's videos at least because of how the youtube algorithm works no matter what happens the likes will push those videos up into other's people watchlist. Sometimes when the person asks I will subscribe to their channel because I am watching their videos anyway.