Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S01:E49 - Mission Imponable

Props Valroa

Do not pay mind to the title, this is actually "Mission Imponable". This was one of the most interesting episodes so far! I love showing more development with Misty and Sunny. This one was excellent!

• Brohoof 3

Whoa---this episode actually set up something for future action- and plot-related developments!  I'm actually excited to see the next episode in another couple of weeks!

That said, I wish G-5 in general would explain things like:

1.  What happened to Celestia and Luna
  2.  Why an alicorn no longer needs to move the sun/moon in the sky
  3.  Why weather happens on its own instead of pegasi creating it
  4.  What exactly happened to divide the tribes
  5.  Why Twilight created the crystals
  6.  Why Opaline doesn't know much about the crystals if she knew Twilight

It really seems like the writers have no real plans for any of this stuff...

• Brohoof 4

This episode is definitely one of the best in my eyes! Not just one of the best episodes with Misty and Opaline, but one of the best episodes of the show alongside gems like Starscout Code. This was Misty's best appearance in the show yet, I loved how Sunny grew as an alicorn, and the tension at the end with the gang and Misty was perfect. I couldn't believe how this one actually made me feel like I was watching an episode of Make Your Mark, I can not wait to see how they'll follow this up in the next episode. :kirin:

• Brohoof 3

What a great episode! We get Misty for a good chunk, which is always a plus. Sunny finally embracing the alicorn side of herself, getting in a great montage that involved her friends helping with their strenghts and support. Pipp knew she couldn't teach flying like Zephyrina, but she had the perfect role of confidence coach!

The plot even gets moved forward outside of Make Your Mark! Canon? Is this canon!?

And we did all this without a fart joke! We did it ponies! Mission accomplished! 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
11 hours ago, Props Valroa said:

Do not pay mind to the title, this is actually "Mission Imponable". This was one of the most interesting episodes so far! I love showing more development with Misty and Sunny. This one was excellent!

This episode may be paving the way for Sunny, and possibly furthering G5’s lore overall :ticking:

9 hours ago, Rising Dusk said:

What a great episode! We get Misty for a good chunk, which is always a plus. Sunny finally embracing the alicorn side of herself, getting in a great montage that involved her friends helping with their strenghts and support. Pipp knew she couldn't teach flying like Zephyrina, but she had the perfect role of confidence coach!

The plot even gets moved forward outside of Make Your Mark! Canon? Is this canon!?

And we did all this without a fart joke! We did it ponies! Mission accomplished! 

Yes, TYT has been canon to MYM from the start. In fact, I remember Pippy opening her Mane Melody business in the very first TYT episode (or a couple after anyway :huh:), or the flying van. All of those things debuted in TYT before they appeared in MYM. I know it’s sometimes hard to notice due to the insane number of TYT episodes, and most of them don’t advance the plot

Edited by Steve Piranha
Wrong tittle by DERP
  • Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, HereComesTom said:

Whoa---this episode actually set up something for future action- and plot-related developments!  I'm actually excited to see the next episode in another couple of weeks!

I'm assuming that's because these two series were likely never meant to be linked together.  G5 was written to be its own world, with its own rules, and I for one think it should have been allowed to be just that.  All this BS about trying to link the two series was likely because Hasbro felt it was needed to get people invested in G5, and it was kind of like making a deal with the devil to drum up conversation, as at the end of the day, the bulk of that topic is about G4.  It's hard to say if the same investment would be there without such a forced link, but ironically, I think the world of G5 would be far less confusing without trying to piggyback on G4's worldbuilding.  

• Brohoof 5

Not a terrible episode.  I'm glad it manages to have a training montage without flipping the annoying switch on for Sunny's friends.  Sparky only briefly appears at the start of the episode.  Pipp was even helpful in this one, as although her contribution was meditation rather than direct exercises, it's kind of hinted that that is what boosts Sunny's confidence and allows her to master all of the exercises.  I'm all for more Misty and Opaline too, and they don't overstay their welcome here, acting as both the catalyst for the episode's events, and moving the story forward even more at the end.  Also, we have Zipp once again being the best character at the end, by being the only one who noticed the clue left behind by Misty.  All in all, this one is definitely an improvement of the last, and the plot certainly thickens.  I look forward to MYM and future episodes of TYT once again disappointing me by failing to live up to the buildup that this episode contributes to.

• Brohoof 3

At least Opaline is keeping her distance in a different sense sometimes when it comes to her relationship with Misty. Also, Misty shows just how loyal she is to Opaline's cause and is competent enough to know better when the latter believes otherwise. Sunny's training montage works really well here and everyone contributes towards teaching her what needs to be done to be a successful alicorn. Sure, not all of the training is physical, but then physical traits aren't everything.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)
On 2023-04-06 at 6:55 PM, HereComesTom said:

1. Celestia and Luna actually went missing in Friendship is Magic, being absent in the future of The Last Problem, since the FiM team wanted them to pass away after they gave their immortality to Twilight. 

2. It used to be unicorns who moved the sun and moon in the sky and it doesn't take powerful magic to do it. 

3. In FiM, weather actually did happen on its own in the Everfree Forest and Bridlewood Forest is an evolution of the Everfree Forest. Perhaps the places that became Maretime Bay and Zephyr Heights grew to not need pegasus intervention for weather either. 

4. The ponies are very easily swayed against each other, as shown in The Ending of the End. 

5. Explained in Issue #2 of the G5 comics, Twilight did it to stop Opaline from stealing the magic and taking over Equestria. 

6. She's been away from the crystals and Twilight for an extremely long time. After such a long time, your information requires an update. 

Edited by CloudMistDragon
Reworded last two sentences.
  • Brohoof 4

11 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

1. Celestia and Luna actually went missing in Friendship is Magic, being absent in the future of The Last Problem, since the FiM team wanted them to pass away after they gave their immortality to Twilight. 

2. It used to be unicorns who moved the sun and moon in the sky and it doesn't take powerful magic to do it. 

3. In FiM, weather actually did happen on its own in the Everfree Forest and Bridlewood Forest is an evolution of the Everfree Forest. Perhaps the places that became Maretime Bay and Zephyr Heights grew to not need pegasus intervention for weather either. 

4. The ponies are very easily swayed against each other, as shown in The Ending of the End. 

5. Explained in Issue #2 of the G5 comics, Twilight did it to stop Opaline from stealing the magic and taking over Equestria. 

6. She's been away from the crystals and Twilight for an extremely long time. After such a long time, your information requires an update. 

Regardless, I’d like an in-show rundown of what transpired. I won’t rely on the comics too much due to the main canon contradicting it (hell, only direct reference to the comics in FIM is outright mentioning Tirek’s father by name at the very end). I highly doubt Opaline was around by the end of FIM and caused friction between the ponies to get all the magic, but rather much later, as there’s an abandoned station under Zephyr Heights shown in ANG, with evidence of Twi still being a ruler, pony species still getting along, and the existing towns already founded

• Brohoof 3

6 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Regardless, I’d like an in-show rundown of what transpired. I won’t rely on the comics too much due to the main canon contradicting it (hell, only direct reference to the comics in FIM is outright mentioning Tirek’s father by name at the very end). I highly doubt Opaline was around by the end of FIM and caused friction between the ponies to get all the magic, but rather much later, as there’s an abandoned station under Zephyr Heights shown in ANG, with evidence of Twi still being a ruler, pony species still getting along, and the existing towns already founded

I know what you just said about not relying on comics too much, but it is shown in the comics that pony species were still getting along for a while after Opaline's plans were thwarted. 

• Brohoof 1

12 minutes ago, CloudMistDragon said:

I know what you just said about not relying on comics too much, but it is shown in the comics that pony species were still getting along for a while after Opaline's plans were thwarted. 

Oh, OK, I’ve based myself on previews only, and thought ponies were hating each other based on those

• Brohoof 1

On 2023-04-07 at 5:32 AM, Steve Piranha said:

This episode may be paving the way for Sunny, and possibly furthering G5’s lore overall :ticking:

Yes, TYT has been canon to MYM from the start. In fact, I remember Pippy opening her Mane Melody business in the very first TYT episode (or a couple after anyway :huh:), or the flying van. All of those things debuted in TYT before they appeared in MYM. I know it’s sometimes hard to notice due to the insane number of TYT episodes, and most of them don’t advance the plot

Also Senor Butterscotch appeared in Tell Your Tale first.

I've always considered Tell Your Tale to be cannon with Make Your Mark. Though there have been some serious continuity issues between the two, which I find a problem. :(

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Solar Power said:

Also Senor Butterscotch appeared in Tell Your Tale first.

I've always considered Tell Your Tale to be cannon with Make Your Mark. Though there have been some serious continuity issues between the two, which I find a problem. :(

Inevitable, but they were probably minor.

Can’t June come sooner, I want all this episode’s sweet development in action, yo :scoots:

• Brohoof 1

Well, this was quite interesting. I think that this was actually a pretty decent episode. Misty seems to have grown a spine... I quite like this detective Zipp character that is being developed here. Though I thought Misty trying to sneak away in a bush with somepony right next to her as though she thought it would be in any way subtle was funny. 

• Brohoof 1

This one was REALLY good! Definitely feels like a setup for something in the future!

That said, the actual episode overall was very pleasant and I just love the part Pipp played! Can't ask for more!

• Brohoof 3

35 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

@Ashen Pathfinder 

I feel dumb again because I didn't uderstand what Sunny's conflict was. :worry: It felt like she just said "I need to be confident!" = Montage to fill time.

I need to watch it again as it saw it during the con; so there was some rush from me there. All I remember is that Sunny was having a crisis of confidence and so needed help from her friends.

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

While I don't despise Sunny being an "alicorn," I'm not really a fan of it either. Sunny's character is already pretty bland, and adding the ability to turn into an alicorn whenever she wants takes away most of the challenge in overcoming obstacles. Still, I don't care enough about Sunny to get all up and arms about it. A character I do care about on the other hand is Misty. Her design and personality are great, and her character arch is by far the most interesting in the show. With that being said, this episode isn't my favorite, but I do appreciate all the Misty moments it has. 

• Brohoof 1