Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

animation Let's Talk 'One Piece' / Enthusiasts Unite

Venomous

Have you been watching One Piece? Are you reading the manga? Do you like it? Do you love it?

Let's talk about it.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

Nobody answered here? That is sad.

One Piece is a great Anime and one of my favorites. I have watched from the beginning up to the Water 7 arc i think, however i watched One Piece when it was running on tv, which means i was missing some episodes.

I would love to properly watch it at some point but the only way i can watch my dub is by buying pricey dvd sets and giving how long the show already is, it would be a very big investment. And yes, i would actually prefer to watch the german dub over the original, because i grew up with those voices and theme songs.

I know there is probaly some not so legal sides i could watch the german episodes, but no thanks. So for now i currently dont watch it anymore, but i still think about it and maybe will buy the dvd sets at some point to properly binge watch one piece.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...

binge watching right now while I'm sick and really enjoying it! :) had it pegged to watch since it got mentioned in YGOTAS. I give it an 8/10. It's fabulously entertaining in general, but there is a pretty big flaw too, though not so serious it takes away the fun. I'm at ep145 now. Will try to write this without providing too much obvious spoilers

the positives

loving the background music and characterful people and places. Also loving all the silly references to cultural things - wicked witches, red nose reindeers, bushido

the voice acting is top notch

the twists are generally genuinely twisty and unexpected, without feeling too manufactured or breaking characters or lore

the meh

Luffy, like Pinkie in MLP, is something to tune out a lil (Pinkie's antics are there for the younger viewers and Luffy's are too I suspect).

the moral message - I mean it's a show about pirates so ofc this is going to be a bit iffy, but there's quite a few times where the poor old marines get indiscriminately slaughtered by the sympathetic characters and 

Spoiler

Bon Kure and Nico Robin getting redeemed after what they did feels wrong (you can tell I was an early opponent of Discord's redemption :P )

but you get used to that and can move on. They're great chars, so keeping them around works out.

the negatives

I can actually cope with these fine (hence the 8/10), but I'm prolly going to harp on about these more than the straightforward plusses as it raises a spicy issue or two.

one negative is an over reliance on the tropes - villains are almost always laughing in the same way and saying the same things to justify what they're doing which is the opposite of the heroes' justification (heroes constantly talk about ideal of freedom, hard-work and fairness, villains constantly say that is hypocrisy and do the opposite of that)

related to that, and I don't always get on my high pony about this, but it's so blatant it's a bit tiresome - the portrayal of young women vs young men is so consistently tropeish. We get it, the audience for a show like this is mainly gonna be young men, so of course you tend to make the young women attractive. But this show is basically 100% of young women must be attractive. It'd be less tedious if there was a few more types of attractiveness that they went for with the girls, but no - they all seem to be roughly the same build too ie cucumber limbs and torsos with melons. Also, to be a sympathetic woman you have to be attractive, but to be a sympathetic man you don't. It'd have been better if

Spoiler

Chopper had just been a cow (yup, the name for a female reindeer is a cow D: ) - they can even be cute, just not in a meloncumber way.

on top of that, men trying to be feminine are pretty openly ridiculed. You can let a few instances of pantomime silliness pass, but literally no feminine guy is allowed to look nice :(

I'm only at ep145 so hopefully the show can vary up the tropes a bit later on.

large.jpg

(incidentally, Nami-filly here having a less melcumber body-type totally suits her.)

On 2023-04-29 at 2:23 PM, Moony the Cat said:

Nobody answered here? That is sad.

One Piece is a great Anime and one of my favorites. I have watched from the beginning up to the Water 7 arc i think, however i watched One Piece when it was running on tv, which means i was missing some episodes.

I would love to properly watch it at some point but the only way i can watch my dub is by buying pricey dvd sets and giving how long the show already is, it would be a very big investment. And yes, i would actually prefer to watch the german dub over the original, because i grew up with those voices and theme songs.

I know there is probaly some not so legal sides i could watch the german episodes, but no thanks. So for now i currently dont watch it anymore, but i still think about it and maybe will buy the dvd sets at some point to properly binge watch one piece.

oh, I'm watching it on crunchyroll - the subscription isn't too much (they might still be giving the first month free?)

• Brohoof 1

I like One Piece, but I never decided if I absolutely love it. The pirate genre isn't one that usually clicks with me, but I'm WAY more likely to see One Piece than, say, a single Pirates of the Caribbean movie. At least One Piece can get away with fantasy, scifi, and whatever crazy things it wants to do.

There have been great arcs; some I will never forget. I love the way One Piece handles filler. I am so glad Funimation was able to save this anime and give it the uncut treatment it deserves. Even the dub they make for it is top tier quality! Speaking of, watching it uncut was like a completely different experience than whatever 4Kids did to One Piece. (May that company rest in pieces...)

But I am WAY behind right now, and I can't decide if I want to catch up. :worry: Thankfully, I've all ready seen a lot of seasons. So if I wanted to, it won't be a big chore to catch up. The Wano arc looks right up my alley! I am literally in the middle, and can't decide if I should abandon ship or stay the course. I all ready have a ton of other things I want to watch some day. These long-running anime are a real chore sometimes. I'm honestly having the same struggle with Naruto. I've finished most of Shippuden, and I'm really close to finishing the anime. But Naruto hasn't appealed to me most of the time, so I am not sure if I should just finish it or not.

• Brohoof 1

I've watched the first few episodes because my nephew likes it a lot. It seems like a huge thing to get into and I haven't even gotten that far into Dragon Ball yet. :blink:

Not sure if I like it since I'm just getting started but Luffy is super annoying.

• 4 weeks later...

Wano was hyped up for years, but it was kind of a chore to get through as a weekly reader.  Post Wano has been generally good though. The pacing is finally going by quicker and the end is slowly appearing on the horizon.

I swear the anime's pacing is sometimes dreadful. Gear 5 looks good animated, but I expected more for certain scenes. Some fans animated some of the Gear 5 manga moments much better than Toei did on Youtube. The initial episode for Gear 5 was a really mediocre episode with repeat animations. I know Toei animation did Dragonball as well, but they have used too many effects from DB in One Piece.

Edited by StarlightNyars

I decided to watch all the live action episodes as I was up since around 3am this morning.

I can honestly say that the live action was really mediocre at best. I think I'm being very generous as many parts of the live action were jarring to watch. The dialogue was very awkward at times. I tried to suspend my belief at times while watching, but it was hard. I'm surprised that people online kept saying that Oda approved every step of this. It was very over hyped by the one piece community. Perhaps I'm remembering some things wrong, but did they move several parts of the story around/changed some character moments for the east blue saga? It was just so weird. They took a few liberties for I don't really know what reason really, unless they plan on writing their own original story.

I do not think that I will watch any more of this. It's definitely better than the other live action anime that exist, but I'm still in the minority that anime should not be adapted to live action as its just too unique to do so. I give them points for trying though.

Edited by StarlightNyars

On 2023-08-31 at 8:46 PM, Robert S. S. Gordon said:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, StarlightNyars, and thanks for not giving up any spoilers :)  I'm watching it tomorrow night, not sure if I'll finish all 8 but if not I'll finish in the next few days.  

One question though, what did you think of the graphics overall?

Mmmmm looking back on it, they were okay. Special effects were a bit wonky at times during fight scenes. Nothing that really stood out that was special to me.

I did grow up watching One Piece up to 530 episodes. But stopped because I got distracted with other anime and realized that I fall far behind of it. 1000+ is a bit much to binge but maybe one day I will have the energy to pick it up. But I do like the originality and the cartoonish art that the anime bring compare to most anime. Don’t think I will ever get tired of it. 

I just watched 3 episodes of the live action and it does bring this sense of nostalgia feeling for me. I do enjoy it- and it was by far the best anime live action adaption since I can how much work and effort they put into it and Oda being behind of it- makes a whole lot more impact. The story is set up differently. Many OP fans would fret that it’s lacking moments from the anime, but how I see it is since it’s live action and not anime/cartoons, the setup and the story needed to be rearranged into more of a ‘mature’ realistic aspects in order to compensate into live action. If I’m making sense here. So I do appreciate the approach and the risk they took in this and it actually work out at the end eventually. The casts there was amazing not the best since there’s room for improvement but still good bringing the characters to life at the least.

Judging outside from the anime itself,  Im all about pirates movies or show. This feels more like one of a good pirates show(not the best) but enough to enjoy if you’re a fan of pirates. Like “The pirates of the Caribbean” vibe but without the spooks. The setting and the cultures they put altogether, really set the mood for pirates fan who is a huge pirates movie buff.  To me while watching It’s not just a anime adaptation. I think that’s why there’s something special about this series. It was able to stand on it owns whether you’re a anime watcher or not. it’s also for marketing purposes towards audiences who aren’t anime watcher- so I appreciate them doing that. I will come back for more reviews once I’m done but this is my thought so far!

Nami is my favorite character and always has been and will always will be. So Emily portraying  as her was the best thing ever. My only concern is that she’s a little too moody and need more spunk for Nami..however, it wasn’t seem like a big deal at the end. But! It’s like see/falling my crush/idol all over again!:wub: 

IMG_7462.gif.f07557269b84c64a126008e2454f80f2.gif

Also… fuck of all of the people, the last character I didn’t think I would fall for is this motherfucker.

IMG_7463.thumb.jpeg.9e025d4903479b075042f32136253da3.jpeg

yeah… I’m crushing him and Jeff did a marvelous job as Buggy and making less annoying and actually more intimidating and entertaining! I love theatrical psycho diva type in a villain and Jeff delivered that! He got this charm that I find it quite attractive. And that says a lot since Buggy was my least favorite because he was annoying and obnoxious. :ButtercupLaugh: I don’t mind goofy buggy but this performance Jeff put out, actually fit more with the setting.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the series and I will have to say overall 7.5/10. Everything is perfect except one small thing. I wish the battle/fight scene could last a little longer or more impactful. It’s seems a bit dry here and there. But the last moment when Luffy defeated Arlong, that was actually pretty epic seeing live action. They did some changes and I think those are positives changes- I don’t want to list them but here’s a good overview of the changes

https://www.cbr.com/netflix-live-action-one-piece-series-differences/

I love all the casts and i cannot wait for S2!! 

I finished the series as well and I thought that it was really good! I know that Season 2 will have a much bigger budget so I believe it'll be even better.  I agree with you TBD, Arlong's fight was pretty epic! The one part I was really forward to was Sanji's backstory and I felt they made it better than what it was in the anime so I'm going to give it an 8.5/10.  The characters were perfect.  If you haven't seen it yet, I'd highly recommend for you to go and watch it.  You won't regret it :)

I'm twenty episodes into the anime. Almost 0.02%! I'm liking it do far. I don't know what they're going to do for another thousand episodes but it'll be fun to watch it for years.

I'm halfway through the netflix show and it's great so far. The cast are perfect. Koby is great but when I look at him and listen too him all I see is Harry Potter. I thought the stuff with Kuro improved on the anime. Also a little disappointing that Zoro rarely has that sword in his mouth.

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, Robert S. S. Gordon said:

Fluttershutter, You have a LOT to catch up on, lol.

I thought the same thing about Zoro having the third sword in his mouth, but I think as they make more series, they'll be more of it as he'll have to fight such strong fighters that he'll have no other choice :)

Of course having a sword in your mouth is just silly but it's a fun part of the anime like Luffy's stretching. It's probably just awkward and hard for the actor to do. And probably dangerous even though the prop swords aren't really sharp.

• Brohoof 1

I am excited for the next chapter release already, C'MONNNNNN

Edited by StarlightNyars

Fluttershutter: You're right, it is a little bit silly, but Zorro's three sword style is iconic and we just can't think of Zorro without it, lol.  The actor definitely had a sore jaw after each filming session, lol :)

StarlightNyars, you mean Season 2 release right? I saw Netflix approved it for Season 2 so I'm looking forward to seeing Chopper :)

Edited by Robert S. S. Gordon

15 minutes ago, Robert S. S. Gordon said:

StarlightNyars, you mean Season 2 release right? I saw Netflix approved it for Season 2 so I'm looking forward to seeing Chopper

No, chapter 1093. The RAWS and summary for the upcoming chapter have been released, I'm just waiting for the English translations. I did not really like the live action, but I'm not surprised if Netflix approved a second season already.

Read Chapter 1093, it was definitively was fun! However, I hate seeing that there will be a break AGAIN next week.

On 2023-09-20 at 7:38 PM, Robert S. S. Gordon said:

StarlightNyars, I understand now, thanks for explaining.  I agree, the first season was lacking, but I'm hoping Season #2 will have a much bigger budget to fill in the gaps of those things that were lacking, fingers crossed, lol :)

Maybe, we'll see!

• 2 weeks later...

I’m getting back in the anime and now reading the recent arc manga. I will admit I did skip some few parts here and there, the unimportant parts that drags like hell. plus most of the things I already know from following up One piece lore and spoilers my whole life since the day I stopped. And playing OP video games in the past helps.  It’s  feels great being back on track with One Piece. 

• Brohoof 1