Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Helloo there

Trot Shuffle

My Favourite Mane 6 Pony

Fluttershy

How did you find MLP Forums?

I dont remember but let's agree to disagree and say Google

How you became a fan of My Little Pony

Gosh, it had to be like 10 years ago now thats when I saw. It on Netflix, a younger family member was watching it while I was doing homework at the time and I thought it was a cute show :fluttershy: and later got back into it because pony music nostalgia rabbit hole

Is this the rambling section? :confused: And it's required?? If so then I shall ramble.

Well ok, before i do that: Hello, I like cartoon horsies, tech, video games (singleplayer mostly) and music. I like flutters because she resonates with me the most! :squee:

NOW,  i ramble, in case you want to learn a litttle more about me and why I'm here!

I liked the show and got a bit into the fandom when I was in middle school but a lot of ppl were getting bullied for it, so to seem cool and normal I stopped watching the show and made fun of others for it. That led to associating with people who were (tbh they might still be) very mean, manipulative and hateful and who I no longer associate myself with for many years now. I had to distance myself from others and that led to me being a loner (or as my ex-step father called me "antisocial loser" which those words still hurt a lot :( like you say you support me but then say that mean stuff right after, ugh). I got super depressed (i never wanted others to see me in this mental state, but being forced to go to social gatherings on short notice doesnt help and made me feel guilty that it was rubbing off on others), somehow graduated high school and got a decent job, was ok but i needed more to do than just "escapism via video game".

I need to roll back time before i get into that, my first interaction with music production was like in 2009 or 2010. My grandpa let me mess around with his copy of Cubase then (I think Cubase 5?) But at the time I just wanted to play video games and I thought you had to be very old to do it (like him... my silly child brain) so I didn't take it too seriously. And then I heard pony music from like Alex S., Archie, WoodenToaster etc. and I was like "Oh wow anyone can actually do it". So i did a little bit of sing songs in Cubase, but all of the aforementioned stuff happened (very on/off with it and none of which i have backups of anymore unfortunately) until I was going through non-pony music I used to listen to. Let's see... DVBBS, Alesso, Martin Garrix, Avicii.... Archie? "Isn't that a pony artist? What's that doing here?" .... Ok so apparently "Kingdom" is a bit of a hit outside of the fandom and it got clumped together with other mainstream 2010s progressive house anthems (actually i dont think its really a pony song but it was interesting tonsee a pony artist there). I got sidetracked and went into a pony music memory lane. That's what got me back into MLP and music production as a hobby. Unfortunately (up until a few months ago) I couldn't  spend too much time with my music stuff (pandemic, I was one a few who weren't laid off so I had to work a LOT) but I could at least binge the show whenever I could and it allowed me to seriously think about everything I'd ever done and will do. It's a bit silly but it does mean a lot to me. I cringe and am ashamed with the people I hung out with and I am sorry to the people who i was peer pressured into bullying just because I didn't want to seem weird and bullied myself. But now that I took time for inner retrospective things, I'm trying to take a bit more initiative to be less "antisocial" and starting from scratch concerning my music production knowledge. (Life story over!)

Why did I join these forums instead of chat rooms like on discord? Well, as stated above I've done inner retrospection and want to a join a much nicer community kinda like my experiences so far with the music production community. Also I'm bad at small talk and I get awkward... forums are a lot better for me, honestly.

Now for my name: I chose this name because... more funny story! I was thinking of an artist name that I want to use which was a bit unique and can also double as an OC. At first I wanted to use "Hoofbeat" but interestingly enough, Hoofbeats Music is an active record label focusing on Drum and Bass which is one of a few music styles I am interested in making. Much love and respect to them but avoiding that confusion is probably for the better, right? As a result i started smashing words together. Trot = funny horse movement and as for Shuffle, I've been working with the classic sampled drum breaks and shuffles. Trot Shuffle sounded to best to me and describes what I'm going for so I'm gonna keep it!  :yay:

"What about a cutie mark?", you may be asking? Bah, one step at a time. thinking is hard, you know....

Also even though I'm in a better financial position, I'm super duper amazed at all of the free resources and freeware effects and instruments (donationware too!) that weren't available a decade ago, seriously super crazy. The stuff that was available when i first started, some are still supported today and the newer stuff is actually incredible! It makes me want to compile a list of free resources, effects and instruments here! Would that be ok? Hopefully is ok :eager:

Uh oh, its almost 7AM oopsies. So i will end thid off with a promise: I will watch G5. Eventually... :fluttershy:

P.S. I finished typing all of this and accidentally refreshed the page like a walnut as i usually am :wacko: but it saved everything, whoever thought of that QOL feature you seriously deserve a /) and a (\ and a (/ and a \) also I'm sorry if it's a bit long, my life deserves an explanation on top of an explanation of an explanation!

• Brohoof 6

Hello! :mlp_yeehaa:

Aww, such a shame you had such a tough time in the past :c  but I'm glad things got better for you in the end. :coco:

With the hobby, relatable. :P I've been always interested in game development, but I thought it's big brain stuff e-twibigbrain.png and never bothered to check any of this, and dunked most of my free time into playing games. I randomly bumped into mlp fanworks, that piqued my interest, eventually made watch me show and seeing random fans making indie games made me think, that maybe it's actually not that impossible for a noob like me to make something ~ and so my adventure began. :darling:

Same with music. I loved NES games and these lovely chiptunes, and hearing 8-bit pony songs made by fans inspired me to try to make some myself. ^_^

*ahem* I hope you're having fun working on stuff, be sure to share your works with us! :oh_golly:

2 hours ago, trotshuffle said:

Also even though I'm in a better financial position, I'm super duper amazed at all of the free resources and freeware effects and instruments (donationware too!) that weren't available a decade ago, seriously super crazy. The stuff that was available when i first started, some are still supported today and the newer stuff is actually incredible! It makes me want to compile a list of free resources, effects and instruments here! Would that be ok? Hopefully is ok :eager:

Sharing tips, tutorials and resources is totally okay and there's this subforum dedicated just for this :mlp_yeehaa:

https://mlpforums.com/forum/194-vinyls-creative-resources/

I'm actually a bit curious myself now that you mentioned that, I'd be sure to take a look. :darling:

---

7 AM? Do you mean it's late and you're just going to sleep (that's me lol) or have to go to work or something? :P

Anyway, welcome to the herd! :mlp_yeehaa:

• Brohoof 4

7 hours ago, trotshuffle said:

My Favourite Mane 6 Pony

Fluttershy

How did you find MLP Forums?

I dont remember but let's agree to disagree and say Google

How you became a fan of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Gosh, it had to be like 10 years ago now thats when I saw. It on Netflix, a younger family member was watching it while I was doing homework at the time and I thought it was a cute show :fluttershy: and later got back into it because pony music nostalgia rabbit hole

Is this the rambling section? :confused: And it's required?? If so then I shall ramble.

Well ok, before i do that: Hello, I like cartoon horsies, tech, video games (singleplayer mostly) and music. I like flutters because she resonates with me the most! :squee:

NOW,  i ramble, in case you want to learn a litttle more about me and why I'm here!

I liked the show and got a bit into the fandom when I was in middle school but a lot of ppl were getting bullied for it, so to seem cool and normal I stopped watching the show and made fun of others for it. That led to associating with people who were (tbh they might still be) very mean, manipulative and hateful and who I no longer associate myself with for many years now. I had to distance myself from others and that led to me being a loner (or as my ex-step father called me "antisocial loser" which those words still hurt a lot :( like you say you support me but then say that mean stuff right after, ugh). I got super depressed (i never wanted others to see me in this mental state, but being forced to go to social gatherings on short notice doesnt help and made me feel guilty that it was rubbing off on others), somehow graduated high school and got a decent job, was ok but i needed more to do than just "escapism via video game".

I need to roll back time before i get into that, my first interaction with music production was like in 2009 or 2010. My grandpa let me mess around with his copy of Cubase then (I think Cubase 5?) But at the time I just wanted to play video games and I thought you had to be very old to do it (like him... my silly child brain) so I didn't take it too seriously. And then I heard pony music from like Alex S., Archie, WoodenToaster etc. and I was like "Oh wow anyone can actually do it". So i did a little bit of sing songs in Cubase, but all of the aforementioned stuff happened (very on/off with it and none of which i have backups of anymore unfortunately) until I was going through non-pony music I used to listen to. Let's see... DVBBS, Alesso, Martin Garrix, Avicii.... Archie? "Isn't that a pony artist? What's that doing here?" .... Ok so apparently "Kingdom" is a bit of a hit outside of the fandom and it got clumped together with other mainstream 2010s progressive house anthems (actually i dont think its really a pony song but it was interesting tonsee a pony artist there). I got sidetracked and went into a pony music memory lane. That's what got me back into MLP and music production as a hobby. Unfortunately (up until a few months ago) I couldn't  spend too much time with my music stuff (pandemic, I was one a few who weren't laid off so I had to work a LOT) but I could at least binge the show whenever I could and it allowed me to seriously think about everything I'd ever done and will do. It's a bit silly but it does mean a lot to me. I cringe and am ashamed with the people I hung out with and I am sorry to the people who i was peer pressured into bullying just because I didn't want to seem weird and bullied myself. But now that I took time for inner retrospective things, I'm trying to take a bit more initiative to be less "antisocial" and starting from scratch concerning my music production knowledge. (Life story over!)

Why did I join these forums instead of chat rooms like on discord? Well, as stated above I've done inner retrospection and want to a join a much nicer community kinda like my experiences so far with the music production community. Also I'm bad at small talk and I get awkward... forums are a lot better for me, honestly.

Now for my name: I chose this name because... more funny story! I was thinking of an artist name that I want to use which was a bit unique and can also double as an OC. At first I wanted to use "Hoofbeat" but interestingly enough, Hoofbeats Music is an active record label focusing on Drum and Bass which is one of a few music styles I am interested in making. Much love and respect to them but avoiding that confusion is probably for the better, right? As a result i started smashing words together. Trot = funny horse movement and as for Shuffle, I've been working with the classic sampled drum breaks and shuffles. Trot Shuffle sounded to best to me and describes what I'm going for so I'm gonna keep it!  :yay:

"What about a cutie mark?", you may be asking? Bah, one step at a time. thinking is hard, you know....

Uh oh, its almost 7AM oopsies. So i will end thid off with a promise: I will watch G5. Eventually... :fluttershy:

P.S. I finished typing all of this and accidentally refreshed the page like a walnut as i usually am :wacko: but it saved everything, whoever thought of that QOL feature you seriously deserve a /) and a (\ and a (/ and a \) also I'm sorry if it's a bit long, my life deserves an explanation on top of an explanation of an explanation!

"Trot Shuffle", that sounds like nice, cool, amazing and cute name!

Anyways, welcome to the herd!

It's comfortable here, take a seat! (Whether you sit on all fours or just twos is your decision) /)

• Brohoof 3

17 hours ago, Rikifive said:

Hello! :mlp_yeehaa:

Aww, such a shame you had such a tough time in the past :c  but I'm glad things got better for you in the end. :coco:

With the hobby, relatable. :P I've been always interested in game development, but I thought it's big brain stuff e-twibigbrain.png and never bothered to check any of this, and dunked most of my free time into playing games. I randomly bumped into mlp fanworks, that piqued my interest, eventually made watch me show and seeing random fans making indie games made me think, that maybe it's actually not that impossible for a noob like me to make something ~ and so my adventure began. :darling:

Same with music. I loved NES games and these lovely chiptunes, and hearing 8-bit pony songs made by fans inspired me to try to make some myself. ^_^

*ahem* I hope you're having fun working on stuff, be sure to share your works with us! :oh_golly:

Sharing tips, tutorials and resources is totally okay and there's this subforum dedicated just for this :mlp_yeehaa:

https://mlpforums.com/forum/194-vinyls-creative-resources/

I'm actually a bit curious myself now that you mentioned that, I'd be sure to take a look. :darling:

---

7 AM? Do you mean it's late and you're just going to sleep (that's me lol) or have to go to work or something? :P

Anyway, welcome to the herd! :mlp_yeehaa:

Thank you, I'm glad I'm in a much better situation now! :coco:

Ohh, game devving! I did some random stuff regarding it on Roblox when I was younger, mostly messing around and then later it was required of me to choose an elective to graduate high school so i chose game development of all things, i don't remember much from it other than having to use GameMaker :P  And, for whatever reason the business and law teacher I had in Junior year forced us to write in HTML and CSS? I don't know what that has to do directly with business and law but I know some of that too... yeah, very basic knowledge of Lua, HTML, CSS and whatever GameMaker uses! My uncle is the programming nerd in the family though, he told me many stories about how he had to learn it on his own when he was growing up in the 80s-90s. My favorite story though is when he was curious on how Cubase DRM worked. My grandpa used a trial version of Cubase back then (like, Y2K just spawned in) and my uncle found out that the trial version could be turned into the full version quite easily, so easily that he went a step further and reverse engineered the whole program! Made everything smoother and more efficient to use, but he never distributed it online. I think he gave it a code name too, like "Gold Bamboo". Something like that. :blink: 

And the chiptunes, ohyeah! It seems so simple but is quite difficlt to pull off, but can give great results if used smart and creatively (Trackers too)! It's cool that one's creativity sparks interests for others, I'm happy that you explored music production too because of other fan music :fluttershy:

And okay, I will definitely post something in that subforum.... after I organize my personal fav plugins first (very messy) :sealed: No promises but maybe within a week? It depends on how my non-existent schedule goes

And yess I meant it's late (early??) and had to sleep for my own sanity, my sleep schedule is kind've messed up but I just roll with it

17 hours ago, Splashee said:

Hi @trotshuffle and welcome to MLP Forums :mlp_yeehaa:

/) and a (\ and a (/ and a \) :ButtercupLaugh: (the upside-downs are a first for me!)

Thank you! But uhhhh, surely I'm not the only weirdo that uses them upside down too? :wacko:

14 hours ago, Svetlana Note said:

"Trot Shuffle", that sounds like nice, cool, amazing and cute name!

Anyways, welcome to the herd!

It's comfortable here, take a seat! (Whether you sit on all fours or just twos is your decision) /)

Thank you, I will meet you in the middle and sit on my threes :muffins:

• Brohoof 2

Hello and welcome @trotshuffle,

that is quite some text :3 

Believe it or not: Flutters also resonates the most with my character, you can say my most inner and most natural characterpart is Fluttershy, though I also have other charachter elements in my personality like for example I also have a big Twilight part :> Fluttershy was also the reason why I started to watch FiM :> 

I had also difficulty to choose a username when I joined, so I used a random pony name generator and modified it's suggestion :> The pony artists with their music and images also pulled me deeper into the fandom :>

I'm glad you are in a better situation now :>

As a fan of the Fluttershy I have to yay you welcome too

fluttershy-yay.gif

• Brohoof 2

Hello there and welcome to the forums! 

On 2023-04-14 at 6:43 AM, trotshuffle said:

ok this is just adorable behavior, I'm sure you'll fit right in! I'm glad it got saved, though. Whew!

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, trotshuffle said:

Thank you, I'm glad I'm in a much better situation now! :coco:

Ohh, game devving! I did some random stuff regarding it on Roblox when I was younger, mostly messing around and then later it was required of me to choose an elective to graduate high school so i chose game development of all things, i don't remember much from it other than having to use GameMaker :P  And, for whatever reason the business and law teacher I had in Junior year forced us to write in HTML and CSS? I don't know what that has to do directly with business and law but I know some of that too... yeah, very basic knowledge of Lua, HTML, CSS and whatever GameMaker uses! My uncle is the programming nerd in the family though, he told me many stories about how he had to learn it on his own when he was growing up in the 80s-90s. My favorite story though is when he was curious on how Cubase DRM worked. My grandpa used a trial version of Cubase back then (like, Y2K just spawned in) and my uncle found out that the trial version could be turned into the full version quite easily, so easily that he went a step further and reverse engineered the whole program! Made everything smoother and more efficient to use, but he never distributed it online. I think he gave it a code name too, like "Gold Bamboo". Something like that. :blink: 

And the chiptunes, ohyeah! It seems so simple but is quite difficlt to pull off, but can give great results if used smart and creatively (Trackers too)! It's cool that one's creativity sparks interests for others, I'm happy that you explored music production too because of other fan music :fluttershy:

And okay, I will definitely post something in that subforum.... after I organize my personal fav plugins first (very messy) :sealed: No promises but maybe within a week? It depends on how my non-existent schedule goes

And yess I meant it's late (early??) and had to sleep for my own sanity, my sleep schedule is kind've messed up but I just roll with it

I'm happy for you! :BrightMacContent:

YEAH! :love: I admit I'm a bit curious about Roblox, but never gave it a try. :P Oh man, I wish I was smarter back then, the direction I have chosen is nothing I'd like to do for living. :ButtercupLaugh: Game dev or IT in general would be much better.. :c Like, imagine making games at school, I'd be actually interested in lessons for once. :ButtercupLaugh:Game Maker, I work with its modern versions (Game Maker Studio) nowadays. :P Have you created something in it while you were at school?

I think it makes sense to learn HTML and CSS while you're into coding, especially when it comes to "business" aspects, because it surely is convenient to know how to code a website for yourself and perhaps for potential clients in the future. Making a website is kinda like making an interface (like menus) in games. :P Besides, browser games are a thing too, so at least a lil bit of knowledge helps with setting it up. Are you interested in coding anything (like games) nowadays? :P 

Sadly I lack education in that regard, I'm self taught. MLP sparkled these interests in me and I started toying on my own as a hobby. Started making games in Ruby (RPG Maker), then switched to Game Maker Studio which uses something similar to Javascript. ~And I do like to toy with HTML & CSS too. :darling: 

Nice, I'm kinda like your uncle, but nowadays it probably is easier to learn such stuff on your own than it was back then. :P Just randomly reverse-engineering a software, yeah why not. :lookup:

I've worked a bit with Cubase myself, I got it with Steinberg audio interface I purchased. I recorded my inexistent guitar skills with it. :ButtercupLaugh:

Ah yes! :D I'm toying with trackers myself, mostly with FamiTracker. :lookup: Made some MLP covers and OST for my games there. :P 

No worries, take your time. :BrightMacContent:

I can totally relate, we're on the same boat. :ButtercupLaugh:

• Brohoof 3

Hello  and  thank you @Astral Soul and @Princess Silky! and I just realized i can split quotes up hehe :eager:

On 2023-04-15 at 6:55 AM, Astral Soul said:

Believe it or not: Flutters also resonates the most with my character, you can say my most inner and most natural characterpart is Fluttershy, though I also have other charachter elements in my personality like for example I also have a big Twilight part :> Fluttershy was also the reason why I started to watch FiM :> 

I had also difficulty to choose a username when I joined, so I used a random pony name generator and modified it's suggestion :> The pony artists with their music and images also pulled me deeper into the fandom :>

I'm glad you are in a better situation now :>

As a fan of the Fluttershy I have to yay you welcome too

yay to you toooo! :yay: Absolutely,Fluttershy feels the closest as well to who I am inside, a lot of the characteristics she does I see myself too. :squee: err.. sometimes not the healthiest (difficult for me to say "No!" a lot of times for instance :blush:) but it's at the top! And in second would either be Twilight or Rarity, I like to consider mysellf terrible at magic but I AM a bit of a geek and i also like doing things for others and i dont really expect anything in return :adorkable: :lookup:

If you don't mind me asking, what was the original suggestion it gave? Astral Soul is a cool result that came out of it! Even if you had to modify waht it originally gave.... :please:

On 2023-04-15 at 11:11 AM, Princess Silky said:

ok this is just adorable behavior, I'm sure you'll fit right in! I'm glad it got saved, though. Whew!

I'm glad  too! I would've literally passed out if it didn't (i passed out anyways but yeaa) :P

And....adorable....? Huhmm, i have no response to that one :sealed: You may win this time, but next time... you might also win again. Be warned! :muffins:

On 2023-04-15 at 11:42 AM, Rikifive said:

I admit I'm a bit curious about Roblox, but never gave it a try. :P Oh man, I wish I was smarter back then, the direction I have chosen is nothing I'd like to do for living. :ButtercupLaugh: Game dev or IT in general would be much better.. :c Like, imagine making games at school, I'd be actually interested in lessons for once. :ButtercupLaugh:Game Maker, I work with its modern versions (Game Maker Studio) nowadays. :P Have you created something in it while you were at school?

Oh,yeah I completely understand!  :D If only school had some more interesting things to do to pique interest in more career paths, really just seems like it's only during college/university (or just after high school graduation) thats happens at. I personally was quite unsure with what I wanted to do, didn't feel like wasting money and time in college so I delved into some stuff I was interested in before and voila! Music is one of them. Would've actually broken my little rule but there were issues... a teensy bit of social anxiety and the only school near me that offered a great music program was at a community college but I had to take 2 years in English/Literature! Uhhhh no thanks! :scoots:

Honestly, Roblox Studio is really great software to begin game development in, they did a good job making it easy enough for anyone to get started. Of course, I'd recommend only toying around with it instead of trying to generate money from it. Free also as long as you make an account and they "unlocked" many features from their Premium subscription over the years. Roblox handles all of the dirty work like hosting the servers so you just worry about the actual game development. They do need to really work on their anti-cheat though, it's way too easy for people to inject code to manipulate everything in a game.

Making games was a bit enjoyable in class, though my mind was fogged with other stuff to truely enjoy the process. :(  The only things I rememeber making in Game Maker were the assignments we had to do: an aerial  shoot-em-up and a dungeon crawler, but the dungeon crawler one took a lot of time for the whole class so we had to rush through it and then prepare for final exams. I didn't save any copies of it unfortunately and while our school had a cloud drive for everyone i'm sure they removed my access to it long ago :ButtercupLaugh:

I think it makes sense to learn HTML and CSS while you're into coding, especially when it comes to "business" aspects, because it surely is convenient to know how to code a website for yourself and perhaps for potential clients in the future. Making a website is kinda like making an interface (like menus) in games. :P Besides, browser games are a thing too, so at least a lil bit of knowledge helps with setting it up. Are you interested in coding anything (like games) nowadays? :P 

Sadly I lack education in that regard, I'm self taught. MLP sparkled these interests in me and I started toying on my own as a hobby. Started making games in Ruby (RPG Maker), then switched to Game Maker Studio which uses something similar to Javascript. ~And I do like to toy with HTML & CSS too. :darling: 

Nice, I'm kinda like your uncle, but nowadays it probably is easier to learn such stuff on your own than it was back then. :P Just randomly reverse-engineering a software, yeah why not. :lookup:

I guess so, though the class material didn't appear that way. :adorkable: It was more like how businesses would deal with bankruptcy. We touched on business-to-consumer etc. a bit but how the coding part would be integrated wasnt really focused on or explained too much.

Super happy hearing different interests MLP ignited in folks, it's a cultural phenomenon that nobody seems to really make much retrospection on. Just "Brony = Bad" most of the time. :kindness:

It's absolutely much easier to learn anything today than before! So many guides, tutorials and easier ways to reach follks with the same interests as you! :P Tho admittedly some people do need to work on their attitudes! ;)I'm talking about the ones that seem to think they're an "expert" on something and love to argue for the sake of arguing, and sometimes the true experts forget what it's like to be a beginner and end up teaching intermediate concepts as "For Beginners"! :coco: Don't get annoyed if they ask for further explanations or a demonstration, they just want to make sure!

I might possibly be interested in creating my own plugin, just to know what it's like. But ,that requires sooo sooooo soooooo much more research and understanding of the innerworklings of digital signal processing etc., its such a complex subject :adorkable: and ummm I already have too much on my plate right now! Maybe in the future, who knows ;) All I know is JUCE is quite popular for it, it seems to pop up the most when people talk about anything related to DSP plugin development. And as for end-product formats, Steinberg is a bit unfair to devs with VST, not everyone has a Mac for AU, nobody likes Pro Tools and their Adobe-like subscription model so rarely no support for AAX/RTAS from smaller devs, and CLAP is still too new so not every DAW supports it or plans to support it in the near future, but it's supposed to be the most efficient (and friendliest!) to work with. There's some others but they're proprietary so,... bah! That's as much as I know about it, I do need to look into it further whenerver i feel like looking into it. :fluttershy:

I've worked a bit with Cubase myself, I got it with Steinberg audio interface I purchased. I recorded my inexistent guitar skills with it. :ButtercupLaugh:

Ah yes! :D I'm toying with trackers myself, mostly with FamiTracker. :lookup: Made some MLP covers and OST for my games there. :P 

No worries, take your time. :BrightMacContent:

I can totally relate, we're on the same boat. :ButtercupLaugh:

Oh that's nice! I was going to stick with Cubase but at the time they still required one of the most hated dongles in the world. I heard they got rid of that recently and moved to a cloud system, so it should be less annoying to deal with in case their dongle "breaks". :Daydreaming:I'm already way into the FL Studio environment at this point though, when I was shopping around for DAWs theirs clicked with me the most plus who doesn't like free lifetime updates? :eager: I know Reaper also has free lifetime updates but their DAW didn't work well with what I wanted to do. Still an amazing DAW regardless, probably the best DAW for any programmers. JSFX and the stuff people have made with it is incredible and it's cool that you can edit the code to taste on the fly! I think you should try the trial of it out in case you haven't yet, I think you'd appreciate tinkering around there (it acts as nagware with an indefinite trial and honestly they don't care too much if you have a license or not, just like FL Studio so it leads people into not pirating it, very kind of them :squee: it only really matters when you work with those in the commercial industry, they need to see that you purchased your copy or they will stop working with you and let others know about your naughtiness :wacko: it will literally end any professional career aspiratoins in audio, a bit harsh but understandable). Also funny and interesting to me that people will load FL Studio into Reaper only for the piano roll :P though I think that's more of an FL Studio thing like you can load it inside anything. I've heard of people loading FL Studio inside FL Studio inside FL Studio which is... something. :blink: :yay:

My interface also came with a DAW, but it was Studio One (Artist Edition, full version not trial) and some other freebies (one of which I couldn't install because their link was down?? :( oh well). Originally I was going to buy the Focusrite Scarlett but the Presonus AudioBox was priced better by $20 at the time with everything I was looking for. Tried out Studio One but while it didn't click with me it's still a great DAW so overall $80 well spent! :P

It sounds like you're having fun and that's really what matters at the end of the day right? :eager: I should look a little further into playing around with trackers, honestly never touched them too much, i remember initially jumping in but it seemed quite complex for me so I never used them... hummm...so i might check that one out, but later.... :please:

Oh gosh, I was going to work on it but I had to cover for some people at work the past few days (tbh more money for me :toldya:) and now i got a few days to actually fighure it out. Well, after i pass out again, maybe right after posting this. Oops!... I did it again! :sealed: I really need to get my sleep schedule i ncheck...

• Brohoof 2

On 2023-04-20 at 11:07 AM, trotshuffle said:

Oh,yeah I completely understand!  :D If only school had some more interesting things to do to pique interest in more career paths, really just seems like it's only during college/university (or just after high school graduation) thats happens at. I personally was quite unsure with what I wanted to do, didn't feel like wasting money and time in college so I delved into some stuff I was interested in before and voila! Music is one of them. Would've actually broken my little rule but there were issues... a teensy bit of social anxiety and the only school near me that offered a great music program was at a community college but I had to take 2 years in English/Literature! Uhhhh no thanks! :scoots:

Yeah, they teach too much generic stuff, I had no idea what I'd like to do back then, I didn't really have any particular interests at the time. For example, there was only a little bit of IT, and literally only the least interesting parts of it, and only for a moment too. Just few things in theory, few simple sheets in Excel, setting a single poppy, uninspiring and useless plain HTML page and that's all I remember from IT classes. I guess access to PC was limited back then, so giving some cool projects to work on at home or something was out through the window, but man, I was always interested in gaming and was coming up with questionable pen&paper games to play with my younger bro - if only making a game would be something they'd be showing, I'm pretty sure that would instantly spark my interest and probably greatly impact my life, instead of me ending up wandering aimlessly after the basic schools and deciding to pick direction I was never interested in only because most of my friends went there. :twi:

Same with music - there was only a little bit of it for a short time and they were teaching more of the history aspects of it (that there was this piano guy and another piano guy) rather than actually teaching to, like, read music sheets (I recall few lessons about it, but there was never any "practice", so my brain found it as useless and didn't pay attention, so to speak; I learn mostly by doing), compose or play anything etc.. The piano there was only for decoration. :mlp_icwudt: 

Generally the teachers, at least the one I had, were veeeeery uninspiring.

Lack of school options is another thing yeah, I live in a small town, so RIP. :mlp_icwudt:

Honestly, Roblox Studio is really great software to begin game development in, they did a good job making it easy enough for anyone to get started. Of course, I'd recommend only toying around with it instead of trying to generate money from it. Free also as long as you make an account and they "unlocked" many features from their Premium subscription over the years. Roblox handles all of the dirty work like hosting the servers so you just worry about the actual game development. They do need to really work on their anti-cheat though, it's way too easy for people to inject code to manipulate everything in a game.

Yeah, I've been watching some videos, where people were talking about deving in Roblox. It's easy and stuff, but people get scammed off their work, so better don't go there hoping for profit. :P 

Making games was a bit enjoyable in class, though my mind was fogged with other stuff to truely enjoy the process. :(  The only things I rememeber making in Game Maker were the assignments we had to do: an aerial  shoot-em-up and a dungeon crawler, but the dungeon crawler one took a lot of time for the whole class so we had to rush through it and then prepare for final exams. I didn't save any copies of it unfortunately and while our school had a cloud drive for everyone i'm sure they removed my access to it long ago :ButtercupLaugh:

That's far more interesting than what we had. I think the "fanciest" thing we have ever worked on was ... making a powerpoint presentation :ButtercupLaugh:Surely a lifechanging experience. :ButtercupLaugh:

I guess so, though the class material didn't appear that way. :adorkable: It was more like how businesses would deal with bankruptcy. We touched on business-to-consumer etc. a bit but how the coding part would be integrated wasnt really focused on or explained too much.

Yep, that's school in a nutshell. Kind of teaching from end to start, or even skipping the start and teaching only some confusing things you feel you don't need.

Super happy hearing different interests MLP ignited in folks, it's a cultural phenomenon that nobody seems to really make much retrospection on. Just "Brony = Bad" most of the time. :kindness:

I know right? Many people found their interests thanks to it. :P From what I saw, back then, many bronies were really crazy (regarding behavior in public and the like; but that's just what fandoms do I guess), so maybe that's where that opinion came from? :ooh: Nowadays I don't feel like the brony reputation is that bad. :P 

It's absolutely much easier to learn anything today than before! So many guides, tutorials and easier ways to reach follks with the same interests as you! :P Tho admittedly some people do need to work on their attitudes! ;)I'm talking about the ones that seem to think they're an "expert" on something and love to argue for the sake of arguing, and sometimes the true experts forget what it's like to be a beginner and end up teaching intermediate concepts as "For Beginners"! :coco: Don't get annoyed if they ask for further explanations or a demonstration, they just want to make sure!

Indeed, you don't have to go anywhere, nor bother anyone, you can find so much stuff on your own. :BrightMacContent: Ah yes, those impatient geniuses. :mlp_icwudt:

I might possibly be interested in creating my own plugin, just to know what it's like. But ,that requires sooo sooooo soooooo much more research and understanding of the innerworklings of digital signal processing etc., its such a complex subject :adorkable: and ummm I already have too much on my plate right now! Maybe in the future, who knows ;) All I know is JUCE is quite popular for it, it seems to pop up the most when people talk about anything related to DSP plugin development. And as for end-product formats, Steinberg is a bit unfair to devs with VST, not everyone has a Mac for AU, nobody likes Pro Tools and their Adobe-like subscription model so rarely no support for AAX/RTAS from smaller devs, and CLAP is still too new so not every DAW supports it or plans to support it in the near future, but it's supposed to be the most efficient (and friendliest!) to work with. There's some others but they're proprietary so,... bah! That's as much as I know about it, I do need to look into it further whenerver i feel like looking into it. :fluttershy:

I haven't toyed too much with DAWs myself yet. :P Good luck with whatever you'll be working on there! 👀

Oh that's nice! I was going to stick with Cubase but at the time they still required one of the most hated dongles in the world. I heard they got rid of that recently and moved to a cloud system, so it should be less annoying to deal with in case their dongle "breaks". :Daydreaming:I'm already way into the FL Studio environment at this point though, when I was shopping around for DAWs theirs clicked with me the most plus who doesn't like free lifetime updates? :eager: I know Reaper also has free lifetime updates but their DAW didn't work well with what I wanted to do. Still an amazing DAW regardless, probably the best DAW for any programmers. JSFX and the stuff people have made with it is incredible and it's cool that you can edit the code to taste on the fly! I think you should try the trial of it out in case you haven't yet, I think you'd appreciate tinkering around there (it acts as nagware with an indefinite trial and honestly they don't care too much if you have a license or not, just like FL Studio so it leads people into not pirating it, very kind of them :squee: it only really matters when you work with those in the commercial industry, they need to see that you purchased your copy or they will stop working with you and let others know about your naughtiness :wacko: it will literally end any professional career aspiratoins in audio, a bit harsh but understandable). Also funny and interesting to me that people will load FL Studio into Reaper only for the piano roll :P though I think that's more of an FL Studio thing like you can load it inside anything. I've heard of people loading FL Studio inside FL Studio inside FL Studio which is... something. :blink: :yay:

I see, that sounds lame. :mlp_icwudt: If I recall correctly, when I wanted to install Cubase the interface came with, I was required to install a little piece of software responsible for activating & holding licenses. Kinda odd to have to install bunch of things, but whatever. The one I got is Cubase LE AI Elements 10.5, and to my understanding, it's not the actual full DAW, but good enough to record my epic deafening performances on real instruments with the interface? :mlp_nom: Or at least I don't know, there's plenty of that stuff and I'm not sure what is what in the end.

I remember toying with FL Studio just a bit like... 15 years ago or something? :P Personally if I was into actual music production (was toying a bit with electric guitar, but I don't really have too much of free time), I was aiming to purchase Reaper, because I know some people who use it. :P Its price isn't too extreme and lifetime license is epic. :ticking:

Heh, when making actual money with it, who would not purchase the license? :mlp_icwudt: Their price is fair. c:

My interface also came with a DAW, but it was Studio One (Artist Edition, full version not trial) and some other freebies (one of which I couldn't install because their link was down?? :( oh well). Originally I was going to buy the Focusrite Scarlett but the Presonus AudioBox was priced better by $20 at the time with everything I was looking for. Tried out Studio One but while it didn't click with me it's still a great DAW so overall $80 well spent! :P

$80 for interface and some DAW with it is not bad indeed! :D 

It sounds like you're having fun and that's really what matters at the end of the day right? :eager: I should look a little further into playing around with trackers, honestly never touched them too much, i remember initially jumping in but it seemed quite complex for me so I never used them... hummm...so i might check that one out, but later.... :please:

Oh yes, and that's what's important indeed! :BrightMacContent: Hmm.. I guess it depends on tracker, FamiTracker is fairly easy to use, for example. :P Meanwhile, I was confused with Cubase's interface. :mlp_icwudt:

Oh gosh, I was going to work on it but I had to cover for some people at work the past few days (tbh more money for me :toldya:) and now i got a few days to actually fighure it out. Well, after i pass out again, maybe right after posting this. Oops!... I did it again! :sealed: I really need to get my sleep schedule i ncheck...

Sleep schedule... I've heard something about it in some legends. :mlp_icwudt:

• Brohoof 1