Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

2023 Writers Guild of America Strike

ZiggWheelsManning

Well ponies, an unthinkable interruption has happened in the entertainment world.  For the first time in 15 years, another Writers Strike has occurred. 

It is the 3rd Hollywood work stoppage to occur in the 21st century, 2nd if you count the Coronavirus Pandemic. 

Production on late night shows, fall primetime programming, movies and even cartoons have immediately shut down.  Not going to post external links about the event here. 

Best if you ponies Google "Writers Strike" in a search engine.  What are your thought and worries about it?  

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Last time this happened, we got RotF and Dragonball Evolution, and a deluge of reality shows, so brace yourselves

That said, the People who are involved with the creation of these shows deserve to be be paid more especially when these companies are making record profits. There’s also considering companies want to enforce AI generation into the writing process, which obviously writers don’t want 

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 4

I did see something like this coming, with the last writer's strike happening around the time of a major financial crisis. Don't think it's any coincidence how this is happening at a time when it's harder for people to pay their bills than ever. I completely understand and empathize with not wanting AI replacing my job too. 

• Brohoof 3

I wonder what this means for the fate of our new generation. :(

Equestria Daily - MLP Stuff!: New Screenshot Reveals Cutie Marks For ...

Other than that I can't think of anything new I'm interested in. I'll just spend the time catching up on cartoons and anime I never got around to.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
6 hours ago, Fluttershutter said:

I wonder what this means for the fate of our new generation. :(

Equestria Daily - MLP Stuff!: New Screenshot Reveals Cutie Marks For ...

Other than that I can't think of anything new I'm interested in. I'll just spend the time catching up on cartoons and anime I never got around to.

Although Make Your Mark is produced in Canada while Tell Your Tale is produced by a Malaysian company, from what I've gathered now, there are American writers who work on both shows. I initially thought all or at least most of the writers were Canadian, but as it turns out, that's not true. I was able to verify that all of the writers we know of who work on MYM are American. Don't know who is union or not though.    

Edited by CloudMistDragon
Important update made as to not misinform.
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, CloudMistDragon said:

It's the Writers Guild of America. Make Your Mark is produced in Canada while Tell Your Tale is produced by a Malaysian company. 

I believe the Malaysian company is only responsible for the animation production. I'm guessing they use freelance writers for TYT – having looked up a few of the names listed on MLP Wiki, they appear to be mostly American, but at least one of the writers is British with a lot of credits on UK shows.

MYM also uses American writers. One of the MYM writers has made many tweets in support of the strike, so I'm assuming that show uses union writers.

Edited by Tacodidra
  • Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, CloudMistDragon said:

It's the Writers Guild of America. Make Your Mark is produced in Canada while Tell Your Tale is produced by a Malaysian company. 

18 minutes ago, Tacodidra said:

I believe the Malaysian company is only responsible for the animation production. I'm guessing they use freelance writers for TYT – having looked up a few of the names listed on MLP Wiki, they appear to be mostly American, but at least one of the writers is British with a lot of credits on UK shows.

MYM also uses American writers. One of the MYM writers has made many tweets in support of the strike, so I'm assuming that show uses union writers.

Yeah, animation is done in other countries but most of the writing for American shows is done here.

• Brohoof 2

19 minutes ago, Tacodidra said:

I'll be darned, I thought the writers for both shows were Canadian. This might explain the odd delays that we've been having with MYM. 

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Brony Number 42 said:

And nothing of value was lost.

Don't you dare imply ponies aren't of value. nITpTAb.png

Being serious, I'm definitely cool with us not getting new "compelling" content from the late-night "funny TV people". :nom:

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
6 hours ago, Kujamih said:

Hmmm.... I don't wanna sound mean but....i think we really need to focus on the important stuff...

We are on a pony site. If this is affecting MLP, it is important to us, like it or not. From my research done so far though, it seems MLP won't be heavily impacted. While all of the MYM writers we know of are American, they are likely freelance writers given the multitude of companies they've worked for and the variety of independent work they've done. We can breathe even easier with TYT, I was able to verify that four of the writers on the show are European and at least two of those four writers, Tom Gidman and Alex Collier, are self-described freelance writers. Tony Fleecs, the new addition to the MYM team, is also definitely a freelancer. I also found that MYM's developer, Gillian Berrow, has listed herself to be a freelancer. 

Edited by CloudMistDragon
Very important updates.
  • Brohoof 2

6 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

We are on a pony site. If this is affecting MLP, it is important to us, like it or not. From my research done so far though, it seems MLP won't be heavily impacted

Yeah ..... Hence not much important right :ButtercupLaugh:.

Plus even if tyt and mym is affected id just give it a shrug... The writing is too.... Too .... Meh? I guess? I liked the movie and thats that. Disappointed me really 😢

2 hours ago, Sonic Shimmer said:

I mostly watch Japanese shows these days anyway.

TwilightShrug.png.6eb65aa92d2002f3895ef0be34ce94c9.png

Man of culture right here eyyyyyy! 

18 hours ago, Sonic Shimmer said:

I mostly watch Japanese shows these days anyway.

TwilightShrug.png.6eb65aa92d2002f3895ef0be34ce94c9.png

Same,  I mostly watch anime and we just now got Netflex and other streaming things,  so i got a HUGE backlog of things I can watch. :devious:

I say fire ‘em all and replace them with people who honor their contract. When someone signs a contract it’s their duty to honor it, and not quibble over how much money was made a decade ago compared to today, or how some computer writing program can threaten their job. No one can cite technology that didn’t exist when their contracts were signed as a justifiable cause to strike. Nor can they complain about the state of the economy to complain about the wages of the previous generation vs the present one. Members of the Writers Guild make money way out of proportion to their talent or contributions, as all Hollywood creative people do. If they were shown the door they’d soon realize just how well they have it compared to the real world that has to work lousy jobs with lousy hours for lousy pay. If the AMPTP aren’t paying enough, don’t sign their contracts, and if the writers feel they’re too indispensible for the pay the contracted for, they should have thought of that when they signed-on and were happy just to be working in an industry that’s nearly impossible to get into. If the wages are too low (a laughable concept in my opinion) then move on to greener pastures if they exist. Otherwise, render unto Caesar that which is Caesar’s and be happy with what you signed-on to receive.  

21 hours ago, Dreambiscuit said:

I say fire ‘em all and replace them with people who honor their contract. When someone signs a contract it’s their duty to honor it, and not quibble over how much money was made a decade ago compared to today, or how some computer writing program can threaten their job. No one can cite technology that didn’t exist when their contracts were signed as a justifiable cause to strike. Nor can they complain about the state of the economy to complain about the wages of the previous generation vs the present one. Members of the Writers Guild make money way out of proportion to their talent or contributions, as all Hollywood creative people do. If they were shown the door they’d soon realize just how well they have it compared to the real world that has to work lousy jobs with lousy hours for lousy pay. If the AMPTP aren’t paying enough, don’t sign their contracts, and if the writers feel they’re too indispensible for the pay the contracted for, they should have thought of that when they signed-on and were happy just to be working in an industry that’s nearly impossible to get into. If the wages are too low (a laughable concept in my opinion) then move on to greener pastures if they exist. Otherwise, render unto Caesar that which is Caesar’s and be happy with what you signed-on to receive.  

THat is a bad way to think of it. The media landscape has changed due to streaming, and writers deserve to have an equal part of the pie. Writers for media are already not really paid well enough, but they deserve better than what they got now with media conglomerates now raking in money hand over fist due to streaming services.

• Brohoof 2

• 4 months later...

I looked at the list of affected movies/shows and it seems that Babylon 5 reboot and Wednesday season 2 are delayed. Those are the two shows I was waiting for. I watched another show (Nancy Drew 2019) but it has finished.

However, I can wait. I think  that the writers (of the good shows, anyway) deserve to get paid more and have better conditions. If AI-written stuff is considered unfit for fimfiction, it should not be used for TV shows. 

• Brohoof 2

It’ll last until companies finally cave and give them what they want. Funny enough it would cost them a lot less to do just that than fight against it like they currently are.

Pretty much everything in Hollywood is affected since it’s not just writers but actors and VAs as well. In fact it’s the reason why John Cena is back at WWE right now 

Don’t know how long it’ll last but judging by the last strike it’ll be about 2 years. Maybe more because this time they’re fighting against AI

We already have a topic for this. 

https://mlpforums.com/topic/199890-2023-writers-guild-of-america-strike/#comment-6119073

Since I made the posts I did, I can honestly say that the impact on TV from the writer's strike has not affected me since I've honestly not been interested in any new TV shows with very few exceptions. Still not hot on AI-written stuff though.  

Well, I’ve known of this strike second hand and by passing from some YouTubers I follow, as this isn’t one of my main interests. However, I’d like to add my two cents here:

1-While AI’s surge is something to at least be wary, I think this “AI is gonna take our jobs” is taken out of proportion. I don’t think AI will completely take over anything as everything needs a human element to it. Yes, I could be wrong because there are some AI art in derpibooru that are just gorgeous and not any obvious faults, but I strongly believe AI will be more of a tool for the human writers rather than their replacement

2-I don’t know who said this, maybe Bob Iger, but this “The writers need to have their expectations in check” has one good point: the industry overall is reaching, if they are not already in the red. HOWEVER, I believe it’s mostly BS because it’s mostly their fault the industry it’s the way it is, big part, if not the main part to use their products mainly as a political propaganda tool.

3-What’s being written these days is mostly shit. For one Sound of Freedom, we get five Twerk-Hulk, Ms Marvel, Emoji Movie, Star Wars the Force Awakens, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, Ridley Jones, or :shudders: this :eww:

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.5473a1b3420e3a19379855ba07b891ae.jpeg

Bin effected?

I think every person has at least 2 years worth of shows they are back logged on. Therefore, most people would not be effected. I think the studios can hold out another year. They have reruns and foreign shows.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd like to see the strike continue and let the whole system fall apart. 

The writers union turned down $11,000 a week! I don't have sympathy for either side. Maybe if they made better shows then I would care.

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Patriotic Brony 42 said:

Bin effected?

I think every person has at least 2 years worth of shows they are back logged on. Therefore, most people would not be effected. I think the studios can hold out another year. They have reruns and foreign shows.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd like to see the strike continue and let the whole system fall apart. 

The writers union turned down $11,000 a week! I don't have sympathy for either side. Maybe if they made better shows then I would care.

I agree with this 100%

• Brohoof 1