S01:E51 - Mare Family Mare Problems

Ashen Pathfinder

Title: Mare Family Mare Problems
Release Date: May 4, 2023
Written By: Ryan Denham
Synopsis: N/A

NOTE: No compilation.

• Brohoof 4

I really liked this episode and I knew that Queen Haven and Alphabittle would get together at some point too!

It’s understandable that Zipp and Pipp would be put off by Haven’s boyfriend and their lovey dovey stuff, but they soon get that their mother wants her day to be special and to spend it with both her family and her special somepony! :wub:

And it was also pretty funny that Zipp and Pipp had to carry Alphabittle too. :P

• Brohoof 3

Queen Haven and Alphabittle. Interesting, not surprised, but interesting. A decent episode overall.

Sadly I probably analyzed too deeply into this episode for a big impact that gave it a lower rating for me. A cosmetic face mask that hurts unicorns specifically? Seems a little odd, we haven't seen a fundamental difference between the ponies at that level before. Especially something so small as 'skin' care.

Considering the time of release I think it's safe to say Mare Day is suppose to reflect Mother's Day. It feels strange that Queen Haven would make such plans to spend the day with the pony she's dating instead of with her daughters. Yes, they end up doing it all together, but that wasn't Queen Haven's original plan.

This also kinda highlights an issue of that we know nothing about Pipp and Zephyrina's father. What relationship, or lack of, they might of had to know how intrusive this might appear to the girls. Or for Queen Haven to even acknowledge that.

Overall, the episode was decent and harmless. I think the two will make a cute couple. It's not how perfect the day is, but with who you spend it with is a good message. Watching it, just felt odd to me and probably made me nickpick harder than I should of.

• Brohoof 4

The roll TYT has been on lately continues! Not as great as the last two episodes, but a really good execution of an interesting idea. Seriously, many fans have been intrigued by the prospect of Haven and Alphabittle dating since the movie. I definitely was not expecting that opening with the heist to turn out to be the prelude for another episode involving Mare's Day, really strange way to start an episode like this, but whatever. The episode really got the ball rolling when Alphabittle came into the picture (no pun intended). He's the most likable character in this one and I felt so bad for him having to deal with those bumps on his face for the whole episode. Pipp and Zipp's reaction to his ghost tea was my favorite part besides the sweet end. 

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

Queen Haven and Alphabittle's friendship continues, could Pipp and Zipp be gaining a stepfather in the future? :wau:

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

Another cute episode! Two good ones in a row!! :D

Also love how the animation and expressions are improving, the animators must be getting better!

Edited by Savy
  • Brohoof 3

Queen Haven and Alphabittle continue to build a strong friendship. Who knows? It could blossom into something more. Will it? Only Hasbro knows for certain. Oh, and I found it cute that that one Pegasus guard decided to sweep up the little patch of dirt that was behind Alphabittle. Such dedication coming from that one.

• Brohoof 2

This was a great episode! Very funny. Zipp and Pipp are totally adorable in this. Alphabittle probably feels lonely because he doesn't have a family for himself...

• Brohoof 4

okay, that was bad, :awwthanks: This is a special kind of hell when you are forced to share your parent with their new boyfriend 

• Brohoof 3

I'm having a hard time believing AlphaHaven is canon now, but...well, at least it was well-implemented!

I feel like Zipp should've been more observant of how the day was going and her mother's feelings; it's making me wonder if her detective reasoning or observation skills can be easily compromised when she's emotionally invested and/or teaming up with Pipp...?  This could be deepening characterization, but it could also be a bit of sub-par writing.

Doesn't this still sum up the whole thing, though?  It's no wonder they finished the episode with it!

image.thumb.png.22d8001f9a24170388b186ca41cad534.png

• Brohoof 2

I didn't mind this one.  It's a decent use of five minutes of my time, I suppose.  Clearly this series is just meant to be a pleasant time-waster, nothing more or less.  

• Brohoof 2

On 2023-05-04 at 2:41 PM, Rising Dusk said:

Sadly I probably analyzed too deeply into this episode for a big impact that gave it a lower rating for me. A cosmetic face mask that hurts unicorns specifically? Seems a little odd, we haven't seen a fundamental difference between the ponies at that level before. Especially something so small as 'skin' care.

I was more focused on the fact that at this point, the pony tribes have been reunited long enough that one would expect Alphabittle wouldn't be the first unicorn to visit that particular spa.

• Brohoof 2

It seems like Queen Haven and Alphabittle is a ship now. It's also interesting to see how multitalented Thunder Flap and Zoom Zephyrwing are, as musicians and as photographers. I didn't think Zipp would be a pony that would be into spa days, but it seems like she is enjoying her time there. Also kind of strange how there would be a mask that specifically doesn't go well with unicorns. It seems like a lot of food things the unicorns make have ghosts. Maybe that's why they are so superstitious. 

• Brohoof 1

• The topic was featured
  • 4 weeks later...

This was a decent little episode. It seems like Queen Haven and Alphabittle are dating now, so that's neat. It also continues to make me wonder what had happened to Pipp and Zipp's father. 

On 2023-05-04 at 2:41 PM, Rising Dusk said:

Yeah, I thought that was weird as well. Nowhere before had it even been said or shown that the three pony types have any differences in their coats. Wings, horns, or neither; they are still all ponies at the end of the day. I'm guessing that the writer just threw it in there as a funny gag, and didn't really consider whether it actually made sense.