Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Xbox One reveal was 10 years ago.

CastletonSnob

Hard to believe, but 10 years ago today, Microsoft's Xbox One was revealed.

I still remember exactly where I was when it happened, and I still remember the absolute shitstorm that followed. The XBone never really recovered from the absolutely disastrous reveal.

Here's the reveal in all its "glory", in case you missed it, or just want to relive the trainwreck.

Definitely an extremely low point in Xbox history. This and the red ring were disasters that could've destroyed the entire Xbox brand. The only "positive" from this reveal was the immense backlash seemed to make Microsoft change their entire approach to their gaming division and it has all been better for it. I do think Xbox is struggling with exclusives currently, but I've been an Xbox gamer since 2011 and I really enjoy my Series X. Game Pass, the overall user experience and even Microsoft Movies and TV have all been fantastic for me. Plus we're it not for the Xbox One, I would not have tried Forza Motorsport 5 and thus my love for the genre would not have been launched. 

One thing that really sucks is that, while the hatred towards the Xbox One after its reveal was entirely justified (I too had that hatred because darn was it bad at the time), it made so many people migrate to the PS4, so much so that Sony is pretty arrogant now. They seem to have forgotten the darkest days of the PS3. The whole thing sometimes feels very "comformist" to me, but whatever people game on of course is no concern of mine. Both companies have promoted each other to be competitive in their own ways and I do feel the Xbox One reveal was a huge component to the start of that. Really makes me wonder what would've has transpired had the reveal been a totally different scenario. 

• Brohoof 3

Such a bad point back then, and honestly the effects can be still felt today. Microsoft is still hasn't recovered from this trainwreck

• Brohoof 1

42 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

What else was seen as really bad for the Xbox One besides the game trading and "always online" stuff?

The reveal seemingly made the video games of a video game console an afterthought

• Brohoof 2

10 years? I still can't believe that. Anyways, Microsoft got a bit carried away after the success of the original Xbox and the Xbox 360, so they kinda dropped the ball when they revealed this one. :sealed:

• Brohoof 1

I am truly not even sure the Xbox brand as a whole has fully recovered from this disaster. The consoles thus far have been good, but on top of the utter dearth of exclusive titles and system sellers, this press conference was just so utterly awful that the bitter taste left in many peoples' mouths just have not totally gone away. MS thankfully brought the Xbox One's disastrous features to a screeching halt, but the miasma this conference put out still has not totally dissipated.

• Brohoof 2