Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you ever keep discovering "new" songs from specific artists/groups/bands?

Trot Shuffle

Or in other words, songs you've personally discovered for one reason or another because they got overshadowed by more popular songs or simply lost to time.

I'm sure we've got at least one artist/group/band that we love to listen to and think we've listened to everything they've had to offer, only to keep stumbling across fairly obscure releases (I don't mean underrated) from them which you wish you discovered earlier. It can even be a remix they've done (maybe an alternative version as well) and special versions of songs for specific concerts or DJ sets.

Anyone else experience this?

Lately for me it's been with Calibre. I love his attitude and approach to music (and he's truly the Fluttershy of DNB not a joke he's been given a title of being one of the quietest people in DNB) but anyways I keep thinking I heard everything he's publicly released. I really thought I heard it all, everything from his Mistical and St. Cal collaborations, his Dominick Martin releases (his real name where he puts things that are "less EDM" focused idk any other way to say it), various relatively popular remixes he's done (Dua Lipa - Swan Song, TEED - GardenSpectraSoul - Burst, just to name a few), and of course his most popular works like Mr. Majestic (with High Contrast) and Even If. Even all of his "Shelflife" albums since they are collections of stuff he's made over the years which have been played like one or two times in his own DJ sets and his friends' DJ sets, and regular albums on his personal label. 

And yet, I keep stumbling across more! I remember listening to an interview DJ Fabio did with Calibre where he told Calibre to stop sending him songs for release because there were too many to pick from, so it makes me wonder how much is really out there from him! :awwthanks: (Here at 5:50ish he talks about that which is amazing to me)

These are some of the last few that I ran across from him (remixes he's done too) which I've never heard of before and they're quite old by now:

• Calibre - Proof Positive
  • Calibre - Just Fine (whole EP I discovered but I only linked "Just Fine" below)
  • Juju & Calibre - Imagine
  • Nitri & Level 2 - Lies ft. Grimm (Calibre remix)
  • Calibre - Reflections
  • Calibre - Stolen Shadow
  • Calibre - Barca

If you wanna take a little listen I put them in the spoiler below :fluttershy:

Spoiler

I also found out a few weeks ago he went under a different name for a bit, "Loose Dragon"! :mlp_ooh: Here's the one I like the most that he released under that name:

Spoiler

So, what about you? Any dusty finds from your faves? :D

Please feel free to share!

• Brohoof 3

I think that's only happened to me once. There's a track called "Something for Windy" on Bonobo's "Dial 'M' for Monkey" album that's 1 minute and 12 seconds long. It turns out that there's a longer version (called "Something (longer) for Windy") on the single "Flutter," which is included in the main album.

• Brohoof 3

Interestingly enough after I posted this I discovered a few more remixes from Calibre :yay: I also imagine it's not the end of it too:

Dylan & Ink - Need You (Calibre Remix)

High Contrast - Global Love (Calibre Remix) and his VIP remix too

High Contrast - Everything's Different (Calibre Remix)

Chelou - She Rock I Roll (Calibre Remix)

London Grammar - If You Wait (Calibre Remix) (I was originally trying to find this one which i ended up finding these others too and it took a while actually to find this one since this was played like a handful of times by his friends, and it never got released while his alternative version did, though only by him on Soundcloud)

On 2023-05-27 at 1:50 PM, They call me Loyalty said:

I don't have much to share in this regard. But I just listened to some of the songs that you have posted, like loose dragon, and the lyrcs are very relatable. Thank you very much for sharing them here, so people can discover them.

That's alright, maybe in the future you might find something to share! And you're welcome! I agree, it's very relatable. Even when there's no spoken words his more melancholy stuff speaks in a different way. 

On 2023-05-27 at 5:55 PM, logicalwillow said:

I think that's only happened to me once. There's a track called "Something for Windy" on Bonobo's "Dial 'M' for Monkey" album that's 1 minute and 12 seconds long. It turns out that there's a longer version (called "Something (longer) for Windy") on the single "Flutter," which is included in the main album.

That's interesting, and they sound great! Yep, that's exactly the kind of experience I meant :fluttershy: I'm glad you ran across that! 

Sometimes I wish more artists would extend those ideas. Logistics - C.Lone and Mistical - Add Break are the two off the top of my head currently that I wish they extended like Bonobo did with Something for Windy.

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

I listen to a lot of older music and my favorite male singer, Jack Jones, recorded so many albums as well as performances on TV shows, radio, etc. that I keep finding little gems of music that I’ve never heard of before. And I’ve been listening to him for years. I recently unearthed an old TV show that he hosted back in the ‘60s. It was in the archives of an online collector who has some really nice stuff. I have a feeling I’m going to be finding these treasures for years. 

• Brohoof 2

I do! Especially when YouTube creates random playlists, it's full of songs where I'm like "Why didn't i discover it sooner?! :Cozy::laugh:

• Brohoof 2

I watch Dude Perfect on YouTube a lot and a majority of their videos include great music. Zayde Wolf has many songs on the DP channel and that’s the only reason why I like his music. Haha jk his music is actually pretty good.

• Brohoof 2

• 3 months later...

Yes. I buy used audio tapes. Sometimes they have music from artists I know that was probably never "officially" released (music distribution in the USSR and in Lithuania in the 90s was way different than it is now or it was in the West) or at least songs I have not heard before. I really like it when in a box of used reel to reel tapes that I bought I find something from the 90s or, alternatively, a really old tape, that gets my hopes up for some good music.

• Brohoof 1

Elliott Smith has a lot of unreleased songs, although I think I've listened to almost all of them at this point.

Josh Homme has a huge discography, I definitely haven't listened to every song he's made between all the Desert Sessions he's done and his work with Kyuss.