Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rate G5 so far.

CastletonSnob

It has an unfair standard comparing to G4. I think it’s a good show by itself, that’s constantly improving. It’s not spectacular, but it’s cute and worth watching.

6.5/10 so far. But I believe that it will get better

• Brohoof 2

I rate it a solid 'meh'. I'm still waiting for it to make it worth investing my time in it. It would be a lot easier if it didn't try to so hard to associate it with G4, which had a lot more charm and was so easy to enjoy, even with all its shortcomings. 

• Brohoof 1

I'd rate Gen 5 a five out of ten. I LOVE the characters but finding the different shows etc. to see events in the correct order can be very confusing. 

I give it a 9/10. Extremely underrated, far too often held to unreasonably high standards, I always enjoy it just watching it for what it is. I'm fully invested in the characters and the world, and I'm always excited wondering how the story will play out. 

• Brohoof 1

7/10. I like it more than I thought. It needs more time to develop. MYM is better than TYT but there are some golden episodes that shine out above them all. 

• Brohoof 1

First off, I don't think comparing any show to one of the best shows of the past decade would do it any favours, even if it were amazing.  With that said though...G5 is not without its merits, but it needs some work.  Important story beats need to stop being rushed, all of the mane five need some development, and I hope before too long we get more substance than just festivals, memes and fart jokes.  As it stands, G5 as it is currently somehow manages to feel both really long and drawn out, and really rushed at the same time, and neither does the series any favours.  Additionally, I think the series needs more focus.  If it was always meant to be a show about nothing, maybe that's where the focus should be.  If the show is all about the story, well then, tell the bloody thing, but also take the time and care each plot point needs to make said story the best it can possibly be. 

So...I feel like I'm in the minority in that I'm not in the camp that thinks G5 is amazing, but I also think it's better than a steaming pile of horse feces, and may even have to consider in the second best MLP series, third if you count Equestria Girls. Either way, G5 makes the podium, though I think that might be more of a commentary on how little I think of most MLP material outside of G4.   I do side with the critical camp more though, as while the potential is there for G5 to be a decent series in its own right (and I maintain it's still possible), there have been far too many missed opportunities and/or baffling choices regarding this series IMHO.  I suppose the show is doing something right if I'm still keeping up with it, but if a few different decisions were made, and proper focus was given in certain areas, I think we could have had an awesome show, and we're instead left with something that is at best, just ok.  

I think I'll have to rate this thing a 5 or 6/10.  

Not comfortable assigning arbitrary numbers to anything, but having just watched chapter 4 (sans special), I must state it was an improvement, specially plot wise 

Spoiler

EEEEEEEE, OFFICIAL ANIMATED FILLYLESTIA AND WOONA :ticking:. And the town alicorns used to live having an official name, so I know how to call that place when I read Journal of the Two Sisters again :fluttershy:

16 hours ago, CastletonSnob said:

Pony that's not as good as G4 is better than no pony.

It's like pizza. Even bad pizza is better than no pizza.

What if someone put pineapple (or any other topping you don't like) on your pizza?

19 hours ago, CastletonSnob said:

Pony that's not as good as G4 is better than no pony.

It's like pizza. Even bad pizza is better than no pizza.

You know what?  I think that is the perfect analogy for how I feel.  Cheap pizza is a guilty pleasure of mine, and although it's not as good as gourmet pizza or even mid-tier pizza, it's really hard to screw up pizza for me.  Still...I'd best describe G5 as being akin to pizza from Pizza Pizza.  It's alright, I guess, but I'm not sure it was worth the process to get it.  With that said, once I have it, I do have pizza.  

• Brohoof 1

altogether, i'd probably give G5 a 4/10. the best compliments i can give it are 1) Izzy is a decently written character; and 2) it's cute, but i have no more praises to give outside of that. the characters (again, sans Izzy) aren't very interesting, the story's filled with plotholes thanks to Hasbro's weird decision to make it a sequel instead of a reboot, and it lacks the flavor that made Friendship is Magic so much fun.

but still, My Little Pony is a toy commercial for little girls, so it doesn't really matter what i think. i'm 25 :P

• 1 month later...

I really hope they bring back Celestia, Luna and Twilight in future episodes of G5. Still, if Opaline caught them, then hypothetically they might be alive.

On 2023-07-17 at 1:34 PM, Kantet said:

I really hope they bring back Celestia, Luna and Twilight in future episodes of G5. Still, if Opaline caught them, then hypothetically they might be alive.

I don’t know about Celestia and Luna as they are retired, and gave most of their power to the day-night amulet. Still, that not necessarily means their longevity is affected, as Opaline is still alive, and she may want to settle the score. I see Twi, Cadance, and McFlurry to play a role as fellow alicorns

(edited)
1 hour ago, Steve Piranha said:

I don’t know about Celestia and Luna as they are retired, and gave most of their power to the day-night amulet. Still, that not necessarily means their longevity is affected, as Opaline is still alive, and she may want to settle the score. I see Twi, Cadance, and McFlurry to play a role as fellow alicorns

I would not say that they gave away most of their power, most likely a small part was transferred, most of it remains with them, all the same they are very powerful and immortal. Moreover, if that lady Opalin knew them, then, logically, they should also be alive.

Oh, how I wish it turned out to be true and they were returned, my favorite characters)

Edited by Kantet

1 hour ago, Kantet said:

Oh, how I wish it turned out to be true and they were returned, my favorite characters)

Come on, give it more time, G5 is taking its time to expand both its lore, and G4’s :mlp_icwudt:. It’s only a matter of time before we may see G4 horses in person :squee:

• Brohoof 1

On 7/24/2023 at 8:20 PM, Steve Piranha said:

Come on, give it more time, G5 is taking its time to expand both its lore, and G4’s :mlp_icwudt:. It’s only a matter of time before we may see G4 horses in person :squee:

Okay, so I'm still waiting.

A very strong desire for it to be as I wrote above.

Comics > Tell Your Tale > Make Your Mark

The slow release schedule makes it hard to get invested in the story and setting, and TYT's too short and disconnected to carry the series, which makes the fact they're focusing on that going forward extremely depressing

Funnel more into MYM for :angry: sake so we don't have to wait 6-7 months between releases