Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What don't you like about the show and what would make you quit?

Silly Lily

Now being a brony I love MLP and Im sure all of you do as well...but it is not a perfect show by any means and wouldn't be so notable if it wasn't for the absolute lack in likable cartoons these days. So tell me guys, what do you not like about MLP? There has to be SOMETHING because this show is not without it`s flaws

Personally I hate moments where the show sort of remembers it is still a show for little girls, those moments are usually just cheesy and the reasons many non-bronies reject the show without giving it much of a chance. Also I feel that despite the very likable characters, there is little character development, like characters learn an important lesson one episode and start acting the same the next episode.

This is mah biggest problem also. I like the show a lot, but there are some moments that are cheesy to the point that they remind me what target demograph this show is mainly marketed towards -_-

Edited by akimBrony
  • Brohoof 1

A perfect example of what I don't like in the show is this joke, here.

I really kind of slowed down and said, "Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa..." I'm not fond of these kinds of jokes. Other than a few suggestive jokes, there's nothing I really don't like about the show besides the lack of reasoning to truly like it. The only reason that crosses my mind about why I even like the show to begin with is the fact that it's cute. And innocent. But those kinds of jokes ruin it, of course. Then I suppose the animation is very nice. That's about all, though. I don't even understand why I watch and like MLP.

I hate all the "And thats the moral of today's story." Which happens often. But, as they say, Its the Journey that matters, not the destination. For example, the Metal Gear Twilight. In the end, incredibly predictable, but, the journey. Never did i guess Cerberus, the Gaurd of hell was to show up in a show for ponies.

Now being a brony I love MLP and Im sure all of you do as well...but it is not a perfect show by any means and wouldn't be so notable if it wasn't for the absolute lack in likable cartoons these days. So tell me guys, what do you not like about MLP? There has to be SOMETHING because this show is not without it`s flaws

Personally I hate moments where the show sort of remembers it is still a show for little girls, those moments are usually just cheesy and the reasons many non-bronies reject the show without giving it much of a chance. Also I feel that despite the very likable characters, there is little character development, like characters learn an important lesson one episode and start acting the same the next episode.

I have to agree with you there. :( I think they should start doing more brony-aimed episodes, while still making the show for children. I mean, how much of its fans are bronies?

Im just gonna say, I HATE closet bronies. closet bronies are trying to destroy MLP. They are bronies, but they think that being a brony is weird and stupid. they are adding fuel to the fire that bronies a re bad people. wether they come out, or stop watching the show or come out of the closet, the less closet bronies the better.

A perfect example of what I don't like in the show is this joke, here.

http-~~-//youtu.be/Y2W0vAX7bgg

I really kind of slowed down and said, "Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa..." I'm not fond of these kinds of jokes. Other than a few suggestive jokes, there's nothing I really don't like about the show besides the lack of reasoning to truly like it. The only reason that crosses my mind about why I even like the show to begin with is the fact that it's cute. And innocent. But those kinds of jokes ruin it, of course. Then I suppose the animation is very nice. That's about all, though. I don't even understand why I watch and like MLP.

I actually like these cheesy kind of jokes. Although they are everywhere, I enjoy them. Probably because I am childish.

Well, I think some episodes are too predictable. For example "The last roundup" or "May the best pet win!". You know what's going to happen from the very beginning.

I am just going to point out some things that just weren't right in the first season.

In the first episode when Nightmare Moon returns, Apple bloom and the other CMCs can be seen gcowering together hugging....yet later in the season in the first episode to talk about appleblooms desire for a cutie mark, she doesn't even know them... and on the subject of this episode, Scootaloo and Sweetie belle can not be seen in the classroom at all, but supposedly they were always there according to what they say at the end of the episode.

In the cutie mark chronicles episode, after the race starts for rainbow dash's memory, you can see a little red filly standing on a cloud, but she is an earth pony!

And one more thing,

All throughout Season 1 Rainbow dash talks nonstop about the wonderbolts and how she wants to join them, yet in season 2 she hardly even mentions them, and she never says anything about joining them!????

I think the "Wait a minute, this is a show for young girls" moments are cute and heartwarming. But maybe that's just me.

I dislike a lot of the plot in the episodes. I mean, I suppose it makes it easy to write episodes that have been done a thousand times before. (You know, the ones where you can see the ending coming from the first two or three minutes of the show) They actually do a good job of mixing it up a bit in dialogue and action progression, but the end result is usually pretty predictable. Why not be creative, devise some stories that haven't been done, or at least have twist endings? I like it when a show can be wholesome, funny and surprising, and if the people who work on it have pride in what they do, I would think they would want this show to be the best it can possibly be.

Maybe I expect too much.

I actually like these cheesy kind of jokes. Although they are everywhere, I enjoy them. Probably because I am childish.

I'm really just an old woman trapped in a teenager's body, who doesn't know how to have any fun, really.

The only thing I dont like about mlp is the plot holes. there is just way to many such as why was queen chrysalis mean in the wedding if it was only going to give away her cover. Also why didn't we hear about twilights brother before the wedding. finally how the hell did luna surive on the moon. I guess you could say that it doesnt matter since its a kids show but it still bugs me.

• Brohoof 1

I agree with what some of you said. It sometimes seems a bit cheesy and predictable but other than that I don't have any complaints. It's still a show for little girls so your going to have that.

The only thing I dont like about mlp is the plot holes. there is just way to many such as why was queen chrysalis mean in the wedding if it was only going to give away her cover. Also why didn't we hear about twilights brother before the wedding. finally how the hell did luna surive on the moon. I guess you could say that it doesnt matter since its a kids show but it still bugs me.

Wait, youre really complaining about plot holes and continuity errors in a childrens cartoon?????? First off, its for kids. second off, its a cartoon. I think youre taking this show waaayyyy to seriously.

I honeslty dislike RD more than Anyobdy else because she's just bratty, immature, who only cares about herself, and doesn't always do things the right way (A.K.A: considers cheating instead).

I also don't like how Spike get's knocked off a lot too, he doesn't deserve to get knocked off so much, where'n he gets treated badly. He does act alittle out of line sometimes, but he does always tend to be within "line of fire" or just talkd aggresively too when he's acting completely nice.

Okay, I guess I'll have to say plot holes? Is that what I should call them? Like where the hell did Cadence and Blueblood come from? Why isn't Blueblood or any other male royalty (the Princefrom the Hearts and Hooves Day spell book) an alicorn? Who are Luna and Celestia's parents, if they have parents anyway? Who's the third royal brother/sister who had Cadence, or Blueblood?? I don't know, little things like that. Other than that I love the show.

The show's opening song makes me cringe. Occasionally, Twilight's face makes me cringe. Like, when she has eyelids (like, not full open eyes as usually, but like half open. I really don't like it then)

And the redo of Derpy.

What would make me stop watching? Um... If it became like the rest of modern cartoons, a horrible pop culture thing. Just hope it doesn't do that until a LONG TIME from now.

Edited by p51

To me my biggest qualm about the show is that it simply isn't apparent that the morals build on each other. Sure, have the characters forget the previous lessons for the sake of the plot (it's not as if it's very asy for many people to absorb the things that they learn, especially life skills), but it just doesn't seem that any single idea (except perhaps aspects of characters and parts of the world building)/moral is expanded on. Maybe I've just come in a little too late and am too used to negative-continuity-type shows where the morals are not intended to be taken seriously. (That the show takes its morals seriously, and is seen as very much a part of the action is part of the reason I got interested in the show in the first place.)

I probably just have always had this vision of MLP:FiM as not just a children's cartoon but a children's cartoon with a true moral vision, seeking to connect all the things that have been learned into some coherent whole. Some of the morals, for example, are too easy to divorce from the "friendship" aspect of the show, or at least take some imagination on the viewer's part to connect them (not necessarily a bad thing, though).

We already had a thread for discussing what people don't like about the show, so I merged it with your thread. Please use the search function next time in order to avoid making duplicate threads. :)

You may now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

• Brohoof 2

I honeslty dislike RD more than Anyobdy else because she's just bratty, immature, who only cares about herself, and doesn't always do things the right way (A.K.A: considers cheating instead).

Oh, Tia, I'm brutally reminded exactly why I never got along with you, now. *is wearing a 'Dashie is best pony' hat*

Eh. I don't have any huge complaints about the show; in fact, all I can think of are nitpicky things that aren't worth mentioning. Nor can I think of anything that would make me 'quit'. If the show started drastically changing from what it is, so much that it was hardly recognizable as the same great show anymore, that'd certainly make me quit, but that's all I can think of.

• Brohoof 4

King of the Hill was consistantly funny for 13 seasons, I think MLP can keep it together for at least half that time (granted it survives our fickle TV market)

I don't think it will go the way of the Simpsons (as that show constantly changes writers) or Family Guy (which was never hugely funny to begin with)

Wait, youre really complaining about plot holes and continuity errors in a childrens cartoon?????? First off, its for kids. second off, its a cartoon. I think youre taking this show waaayyyy to seriously.

I should rephrase my complaint. plotholes don't really hinder the show in any way its just something that makes me personally ocd when I watch tv shows.