Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Luna's season 1 self actually her daytime self?

Ethereal

I noticed it when I was watching the season 2 finale, Luna doesn't appear until nighttime when the wedding reception starts. we all noticed how she was absent from the changeling attack. So here's my theory. Luna's power depends on it being nighttime. during the day she probably sleeps. the result of her weakened power during the day is that she's transformed into herself from season 1. if you look at all the times we've seen Luna it makes sense. during the season 1 pilot it was daytime when we saw her true self. during season 2 it was always night time. what do you think?

bonus: i think the abandoned castle in the everfree forest from the season 1 pilot is actually Luna's castle, and that's why she flew in from outside of the bubble during the season 2 finale. also she didn't appear again during season 1 because she was too busy fixing her castle and arranging her staff (example her bat guards from s2 ep4)

• Brohoof 1

I think the idea that Luna has a day and night time form is very interesting and probable. Although we've seen Celestia at night and she is the same.

Although the idea that she fixed the old castle isn't believable. First off it was both Luna and Celestia's castle and Luna lives in Canterlot with Celesita (as seen in the season finale). ~

I don't think so. It's an interesting theory, but as has been pointed out there are too many holes. I prefer this theory when it comes to Luna's difference in appearance:

Luna as we saw her at the end of the first two episodes was her younger self. That is to say that, whilst sealed inside the moon for a thousand years, Luna didn't actually age, because she was in a stasis of sorts. So she remained the young pony she was, along with her sister, back before she was sealed away. She developed the Night Mare Moon form from her jealousy before-hand, as shown in episode 1's flashback storybook at the beginning, and was apparently sealed into the moon in that form, which stayed, since she was clearly still jealous and angry. The time between we saw her in this young form in episode two after she was defeated, and when we next see her in Luna Eclipsed in the next season, Luna caught up to her actual physical age, as it should be in the now.

-This explains why she suddenly grew her ethereal mane (flowy mane like Celestia), when before she had a solid blue mane.

-This also explains why Celestia had her ethereal mane the entire time. Because unlike Luna, she aged normally, because she was never sealed away

• Brohoof 1

I honestly don't think it's a day and night form, i think it would be more that Luna's mane was that solid blue because her magical power was weakened. We didn't see her again because she was still recovering and after she had her mane became the ethereal blue it should have been. As for the castle, I would love it if that were true, but it may have more been that Luna was out patrolling for the threat.

I'd kinda have to agree with the last post. Nightmare Moon took over Luna when she "became a wicked mare of the night", as it says in the S1E1 opening. NMM and Luna were the same pony, but some inner voice in NMM was still good, was still "Luna", and when the mane 6 destroyed NMM, all that was left was that inner portion of her that was Luna, and she had just been defeated by the elements. Both of those things, half of her being corrupted, then destroyed, and her defeat by the elements, weakened her.

So she was both smaller, and wasn't overflowing with that magic power that makes Celestia's mane flow. Over the course of season 1, she recovered, grew larger, and regained her powers. That's what makes the most sense to me.

(edited)

A seperation of Lunas night and day form seems plausable to me, but it begs the question about Celestia. Then again, Celestia have spent the last millenia controlling both the sun and moon so that might be connected.

Edit: The two post above also makes very valid points that seem to be more likely.

Edited by Tdroid

I don't think that Luna from season 1 was her daytime form. As somepony else above said, she looked like that because that was how she looked when sealed into the moon and once she transformed into Nightmare Moon...her true self went dormant but after being reawakened by the Elements, her magic eventually restored her to the proper age she should be.